Sunday, March 31, 2024

Did you see the sign?

 It's time for another adventure. How could I not enjoy my vacation to the max without attempting a hike! 

I researched and found a decent hike—Lahaina Pali Trail on the west side. It's hard to get a good count on the distance, but the section I was going to do was about 4 KM. 




So, I violated the first rule of hiking and went alone. I was cautious! And DH knew where I was. 

OK—so this trail is not very well marked. I got to the top of the initial climb and spotted this old road. So I continued on the road, and within a half hour, I knew I had missed something. But it took me a half hour to realize that. When I checked back on the map, I saw that I was near the trail but not on it. 

However, I did get to see how they secured these giant nets on the cliffs to prevent rocks from falling. There are massive cables attached to the rocks, which were holding the nets in place. 

Cables to secure the nets


The view was spectacular from up there. 

The view from above

OK—I spotted these markers when I finally got back on the correct trail. Which was good, except when I spotted 4, number 5 was nearby. I checked it out, and the trail seemed to disappear. So, I went back to that intersection and tried what looked like a more passable trail. I didn't get far, so I thought I should call it a day!!


A trail marker

I have always wanted to just stop by the side of the road and walk up those big hills! Well, this was my chance. The terrain was challenging because it was very rocky (lava rock) and somewhat steep in places, but it was very doable. I had my hat, water, food, and cell phone with service. 

It was very windy up there in spots, and here's a tip when hiking: If you need to make a pit stop, try to find a place that isn't so windy. That's all I'll say about that! But I had a good laugh about it!!


There were a few trees on this crater, but they were rare. Lots of grasses and a few flowers. 


Flowers on the trail

That view was so worth the climb!! As far as the total distance goes, I didn't get very far, but it was far enough to make me happy, and that's all that counts!! 

Happy trails to me

The descent was better than I thought, and my new trail shoes (non-Hokas) worked amazingly. They have a smaller footprint than the Hokas, are sturdy but flexible, and are perfect for clambering over rocks. 

As I was getting nearer the trailhead, I spotted this. Are you KIDDING ME?? The first time, I walked right past that yellow arrow and past the dead branch. I was so focused on the road that I missed this. I spotted the trailer marker on the side of the hill the second time, but again, I completely missed the yellow arrow. I only spotted it as I descended!!!

This way!!!!

Yet, I did not get lost on the Camino, where it was "easy" to spot small arrows on the sidewalk's edge or a signpost. I was definitely not in hiking mode yesterday! But everything worked out, and I was good and happy with my efforts. 

It just means that I have to come back another time to hike the entire distance. That would be amazing!!! 

Once I was back in the car, I headed off to the quilt store. I managed to find the license plates from the Row by Row experience from the previous years. I don't think I had one from Hawaii, so I got one. How could I leave that behind? 


Then we went down to Charley Beach for a bit. I'm not a huge fan of the beach, so I could take it or leave it, but I went down for a bit. I walked to the end of the beach and back and then hung out with DH for a bit. The beaches are relatively quiet, so it was perfect. It was so windy that my hat blew off!! I had to run to catch it - I didn't want to lose that! 


On the beach


I LOVE that all the armchairs have backpack straps, which make them super easy to take to and from the beach. It leaves your hands free to carry other stuff. Who invented those? 


Backpack chairs

Then, we were off to a family dinner with both families. We had to walk down this tree-lined drive to get there, which was an excellent and quiet way to end the day. We watched the sunset at dinner. 




I'm finally getting my hours shifted, and it's time to leave!!! There likely will not be a blog tomorrow as we have to check out at 10 AM. Then we're off to do some more exploring and need to be at the airport around 5 PM. 

That means you'll have to wait until the next day to hear about today's adventure, which was harrowing at times!! But we survived!

As sad as it is that the vacation is almost over, I'm looking forward to going home. I miss the girls and the boy. I don't have much on my calendar for the next few weeks, and I'm looking forward to getting some work done!! 


On that note, I'm out of here!!

Have a super day11!

Ciao!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment