Saturday, March 23, 2024

When good things happen!

The Zoom sessions for the "day job" are complete! For the remainder of the year, we'll be doing in-person events, and I have some booked near me! So watch for events at Sew Productive in Milton and Thimbles Quilts and Sewing in Windsor (Lasalle). They are going to be fun and informative, and I've been making NEW samples. 

That leaves one in-person event today (all packed) and two Zooms to prepare for tomorrow. The final writing assignment is almost edited, and I'm doing well. I'm a little behind schedule, but it's doable to complete it all on time. 

Yeah -- it's incredible what a little focus can do!!

I got a message from a former student, and I love getting messages, especially when I see the finished project. 

Yes -- this is DEAR JANE!!! She has hand-quilted it, and it looks stunning! Most of the quilting was done during the pandemic, but the binding is on now, and it's complete! 

Dear Jane, from a class in 2012


We started this project in 2012 or thereabouts and worked on it for two years and a bit as a class. Awesome job, and thanks for sharing your beautiful quilt. 


The Dear Jane quilt is DONE


I know several others working on the blocks, and it'll be nice to see those finished quilts. 

So, what was the big adventure? What idea have I dreamed up to make space in Studio B? 

I have tables strewn with embroidery machine parts and excess hoops, and now there are cutting mats for three digital cutters, and well, I was running out of room. So I thought and thought, and Lexi helped me out one morning on a walk. She said, "Mom -- you need a NEW storage shelf!" And the more I thought about it, she was right. 

So, I started researching and measuring my stuff, and I came up with the idea that I needed one that was 24" deep and 48" wide. The height was negotiable. I spotted exactly what I wanted online, but it would cost almost $500 (for quality industrial shelving). And what would it cost to deliver? 

I happened to be on Facebook Marketplace and spotted industrial shelving for sale. A warehouse was closing down, and all its shelving was being liquidated. I popped in to have a peek, and I bought TWO units! I was hoping they could be taken apart, but this is the GOOD stuff (METRO brand), and that wasn't going to happen. Those shelves were locked in tight with all the weight of whatever was stored on them for how many years. 

So I arranged to rent a van. Now, I was very good at reading the e-mail stating what I needed for paperwork to rent the van, but I failed at the location I chose. When I arrived at Home Depot, they did not have my reservation. OH—that's because I reserved at a different location. No worries—they had plenty of vans where I arrived, and it was easy to cancel the other. 

This was my ride! It was HUGE, and yet, this is a small cargo van. 

I rented the van to haul my shelves


It was easy to drive, and I had 90 minutes to get my shelves, drop them at home, and return to Home Depot. I did it with 11 minutes to spare. 

I was to top up the van with gas before I dropped it off. I did that, and it cost almost $10 to fill it, so obviously, the previous person didn't put gas in it. I took my receipt to the clerk and showed it to him. I didn't ask for any money; it was just an FYI. He knocked $10 off the price of the rental!! That was very generous of him. Even better, this young person took the initiative to do that and had the authority as well. I was impressed and need to write a note to the store. 

The other thing - this young fellow made a BIG deal because I had the THREE pieces of paper I needed to rent the van! It sounds like contractors forget to take their insurance with them! 

So, for less than $150, I got these items, including delivery. There's my giant 24" by 48" by 60" shelf. There are no wheels on it—those ones were all gone. But it's exactly what I was going to buy! It's heavy, so I hope we can manage to get it into the basement! 


My giant storage shelf

I also bought this rolling cart. It was such a good deal, and I hope to use it for my current projects - ONLY TWO - one on top and one below. I can wheel supplies around as I gather them up, and I think it's going to be fun!

A new handcart


There were a couple of mats for the shelving that I had seen the previous day, but I didn't bother with them. Then I thought I would NEED a couple. So yesterday, I scoured the remainder of the shelving and spotted two smaller ones - not the big black ones I had seen the day before. I asked the guy, "How much?" He said I was such a nice lady that I could have the two mats. They weren't really worth anything anyway, but I had to ask. 

It was a good day!!!

I'll deal with the shelving later, as I'm a bit busy at the moment. But I'm excited to get them downstairs and start putting the equipment on them so it's out of the way, and I can put the toys on the tables. This was the LAST shelf of that size, so it was meant to be mine!  


Notice how the ground was bare when I was doing this? And here is Murphy in the forest, and there is NO snow. This was around 8 AM. 

Hunting for mice


Now look at it! This was about 3 PM. 

MOM -- I LOVE the snow


Seriously, we did NOT need snow. But Lexi was in her element and lay outside for quite a while. She came in completely covered with snow. 

MOM -- this is MY kind of weather



Even Bear was happy to be out, although his tummy was dragging in the snow as his legs are short!

GRANDMA - I'm done pooping and need in! 



I see snowballs in our future this morning!!

When I went for my walk yesterday, I spotted a big black suitcase trimmed with orange chained to a lamp post that has become a memorial for someone involved in an accident at that intersection. Hmm. What does the suitcase have to do with the memorial? It was kind of creepy. 


Then, on my way home and passing through a different intersection, I spotted another suitcase (on the same road). I read the sign attached to it: AHA, it's a traffic study. 

A suitcase to collect data


I'm not sure what they are measuring - speed? Red lights? 

The entire setup


I almost feel they should remove STOP signs and put in roundabouts. At the T-junction close to my house, the number of people who actually stop is rare. They either roll right through the intersection or ROAR right through it without slowing down. This is right beside a school zone of 30 KM, which no one pays attention to. And some of the worst culprits? Moms on the way to the school! How ironic is that?


Well, I have to get the dogs walked and shovel the driveway before I head out for my adventure today. 

Don't forget the retreat this evening. We start at 6 PM. 

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89816483795?pwd=Mjc3M3pvVmZPdjdsQzlHS3Zhck52dz09

Meeting ID: 898 1648 3795
Passcode: 248667



Wait - before I go, here's Mr. Bear in all his cuteness!!! Even though he needs professional beauty help!

Grandma - I need a SPA day!!!



Have a super day


Ciao!!!!


























4 comments:

  1. It is possible to disassemble Metro shelving (I had dozens at work). Get a small block of wood, place it under the shelf near the corner. Hammer up and it will rise off the black 2 part "stop". Do this at each corner and then lift the shelf off.

    Great score! METRO is expensive. I can't wait to see the Reorg!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky to have found exactly what you need. I am on the hunt for something to accommodate my Cricut Maker and heat press and my Elnapress. The cart you got would be perfect. I could swap the items from top to bottom as required. Guess I will have to watch kijiji and marketplace for industrial carts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moms in school zones are the worst. Their parking is awful and if you point out the fact that they are parking illegally or blocking your driveway they argue with you. Apparently because we have a double driveway it is ok for the to block half of it, even if it means I almost run over their kid that was crouched down behind their car, in the middle of my driveway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can buy just the casters for Metro shelves if you want them on wheels. Not cheap, but good to have.

    ReplyDelete