Sunday, December 11, 2011

Quilt goes UNDER THE KNIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am worried!  Why? Well I "seem" to have things under control. Hmmmmmmm - when did that happen?  Yes - there are still FIVE quilts to be quilted BEFORE Christmas (one of them I still have to make), yes there is the quilt to be repaired (more on that in a minute), yes - there is a Pampered Sit n Sew today, yes - there are a ton of things to get done before Christmas, but I have LISTS. Oh yes - I have LISTS and CLIPBOARDS.



I AM IN CONTROL


Sewing projects TO DO list. This is going to updated and computerized - but not today

This is the machine quilting list. NOTE - there are ONLY  TWELVE spaces per month. And I am NOT going to have people guilt me into doing more than that. I looked at my schedule and that is all I can do per month. And don't think the list is empty and I am waiting for quilts to come in - I just haven't filled out the form yet. I think there are a couple of spaces left in FEBRUARY. 


Let me tell you about the quilt I am repairing since I told the owner that they could follow along on the blog if they wanted. I'm not sure I would want to see my quilt go "under the knife".

Anyway - here is the quilt...........................


Quilt that needs repair

Block one to be fixed

Block two to be fixed

Took the binding off (top middle), the backing (top right), the batting (top left and already in the garbage) and lastly the quilt top. 

Look at those edges - they sure appear like they were ripped (not cut) when the quilt was originally assembled. 


One block disassembled - what a mess of threads and  seams that need to be pressed

One block ready to be resewn. Can you see how faded the lighter fabric is. Well it is hard to tell because it is desperately in need of a bath.





Hard to see in the photo, but these fabrics are THIN THIN THIN. The edges are fraying, VERY faded and not cut straight. Going to FUN to resew this together.  

This one is in slightly better shape - not as thin. 



The next step is to DELICATELY sew the two blocks back together and then reinsert into the quilt. Then it needs a GOOD, LONG, GENTLE bath. Then it is off to be hand quilted with a nice new quilt batt.


I got another customer quilt done yesterday.

Customer quilt


Yes - only five more to go before Christmas and then I have two of my own I want to do right after Christmas.

I am way too nice because I was supposed to have only FOUR quilts, but someone called two weeks ago and PLEADED that they needed a quilt done as a Christmas gift. Not one to turn business away (got to be firm about this or start charging a premium for rush jobs). Anyway I said YES. We managed to get together yesterday - the quilt - oh yes - it is only 80" by 100" - STORM AT SEA. At first she wanted it custom quilted - I said NO. So it is going to be an overall design and will be better anyway since her piecing isn't that great and stitch in the ditch would have emphasized that fact.

While I am quilting, I can think up all kinds of things and the quilt I worked on yesterday was no exception. I think I am going to start including a "report card" of sorts with all the quilts I quilt. Tell the people how they did and what they can do for improvement. Like - how to sew borders on a quilt, do not use bias edges along the side of a quilt, not using selvedges in backings - that sort of thing. Yes - I am going to do that for the new year. I'll design it in my head when I put the next quilt on the machine.

Now I still have 1 1/2 hours before the girls arrive for Pampered Sit n Sew and other than passing the vacuum, I have everything under control. I just moved my new shelf into the storage room and the studio was CLEANED up. I finished trimming all the quilts that I had done this week - the clients are contacted and ready for pick-up.


Look out!!!!!   Don't mess with me. Oh crap - I still have homework to do for Elm Creek on Tuesday - guess what I am going to do in my spare time!!!!  

I did stay up and listened to THREE CDs last night. I just had to find out what happened with the pirates. That was a GREAT BOOK. Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton. Amazing what you can get done while listening to audio books. I LOVE LOVE LOVE them.

On that HIGH note - I had better get my butt in gear and get some work done on Elm Creek.


Have a great day!!!!!!


Ciao!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment