Monday, December 5, 2011

I've MOVED!!!!

In preparation for the retreat, I had to make room for everyone who was coming. I keep my sewing machine with the plexiglass table on a banquet table. I also have one of those fancy (heavy) tables made by Horne or something like that.

I usually keep my Mega Quilter in that cabinet and NO - I do not use that machine often any more since I do most of my quilting on the long arm.

I decided to put my machine in the white cabinet - that way, I am using a table that is already set up, leaving the banquet tables for the others.

The problem with the white cabinet is that there is a cut out in the top, so while the machine fits on the shelf - how does one fill the space around the machine? I have a plastic insert that fits the Mega Quilter perfectly.

Well - I think I did not bad - have a look.....................


Obviously this was in the CHAOS of the retreat - you can barely see the sewing surface - let`s get a little closer..............

I have a small plexiglass table (from my old machine and my table I use when I take my machine out of the house).  While it works not bad - it is short. there is a BIG gap under the screen where I usually put stuff. 

Amazing that that table was the EXACT size needed to fit the cabinet on the left hand side!!!!!


Now I know that everyone is NOT NEARLY as OBSESSED about sewing as I am. But honestly - we all need to make our space more comfortable or how are you going to enjoy sewing and become OBSESSED. Having a table and even that little old plexiglass table makes a HUGE difference in sewing. See how much space I have out front of the needle - this is CRITICAL to aligning seams and straightening fabric, etc. I CANNOT sew with just the machine - it is has to be in a cabinet or have a table attached and DO NOT even think of quilting without one.  While anything can be done with just the machine - it is MUCH harder and the results are not as good. Bottom line - GET A TABLE.   You will be surprised how you sewed without it.

So now - I have decided to leave my machine there permanently. Which means that my Mega Quilter is now without a home!!!!   Oh yes - I have already ordered the proper insert that fits in the cabinet for my machine. I guess when I want to use the Mega Quilter - I will just swap places with this machine. It really won`t take but a few minutes!!!


What is the deal with QUARTER SQUARE TRIANGLES???????????????    It appears that EVERY mystery quilt that I am currently working on - requires QUARTER SQUARE TRIANGLES. Hmmmmmm - got to figure out something to make them easy. As you know - I like to make these units bigger and trim them down.

Here is the UNTRIMMED quarter square triangle

You can use a regular ruler (make that a SQUARE ruler) to do the trimming


But GO GO GADGET Marian introduced me to (and lent me) her FANCY ruler made just for trimming quarter square triangles


And how does it work?????   Well it has nice crisp black lines that make it easy to see  the positioning on the block. And there is a CENTER point where the lines criss cross. I would say the only negative about this is that you need TWO rulers - one half of the first one is for trimming whole numbers - 1", 2", 3", etc. The opposite side of ruler one is for 1/2" increments - 2 1/2", 3 1/2", etc. The second ruler also has two sides - one for the 3/4" increments and one for the 1/4" increments.


The ruler is called the Tucker Trimmer.  This link takes you to a YOUTUBE site so you can see for yourself.

Normally I DO NOT like gadgets, but I really liked this tool. Now I have to find my own. Hey - CHRISTMAS is coming. Maybe Marian will buy them for me!!!!!!!


The trimmed Quarter Square unit. 


And honestly - I don't know that I would be so keen on if I did NOT have so many units to trim. For Bonnie Hunter mystery - there are HUNDREDS to do and for the Border Creek Mystery - there are close to 200 (for the two quilts). That is a LOT of units to trim - might as well make it easy.

Now that Linda has decided to do the Bonnie Hunter I had better get my butt in gear or she will be WAY ahead of me. While I was teaching my class yesterday - I managed to get all the black squares cut for the half square triangles. Last night, I got part of the light squares cut for the opposite side. And I got some sewn today and will be trimming those today. I did NOT get a picture yet - but I will. I am also getting the rest of the stuff assembled and in place so it will be ready to cut. Do not want to get too far behind in this and there is a LOT of sewing!!!!!

Are you wondering about my Thangles quilt???


Thangles quilt with the first TWO borders on and half of the third. I will only have to make FOUR half square triangles in order to complete the last two sections. Then I think I will throw another black border on the outside. After all these years - this will be done soon!!!!!!   I'm excited. 



With all this finishing of quilt tops - I am going to have to get the quilting machine fired up and get my butt in gear and get some of them quilted. Well - got to be better at keeping the customer stuff scheduled and then allow myself some time to do my own. I am working on that - can't change everything in one day!!!!!

But I did manage to get another customer quilt done.


There is a LOT of applique on this quilt and I had to stitch in the ditch around it all!!!!   I still have two pillow shams to do (On the Mega Quilter!!!)


The latest issue of A Needle Pulling Thread should be out shortly.

Festive 2011 Issue -  A Needle Pulling Thread

And of course - there is ME again. This time on needles and thread
 There is a LOT of good stuff in this magazine besides my article.

With all the students that I have taught - there are a couple of things that continue to surprise me. One of them is the lack of knowledge the students have about needles and threads - so they NEED to be buying this copy of the magazine to get the skinny on needles and threads.

The second thing that surprises me (and this was very evident in my class yesterday) is how people DO NOT know how to use the rulers properly. How to get squares, strips, etc. I think I already did an article on that, but obviously not everyone reads them. There is a LOT of useful information in there!!!!!!


OK - time to get moving this morning.

Have a great day!!!!!!


Ciao!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Amazing quilts. I never seem to get them even when I machine quilt so sew mine by hand.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete