Sunday, November 4, 2012

Ho hum - another fashion show!!!!

Well - it wasn't HO HUM for us since it was the first time we saw M in action, but she has does several of them now and although each one is different, I am sure after a while, it will become ho hum to her.

Last night was a fashion show in Hamilton as a fund raiser for Free the Children (heck - I want to go to Kenya to volunteer on some project). She was supposed to wear three outfits, but only ended up with two because the third one was pretty short and her butt would be exposed. So much for fitting?????? Compared to a couple of the other girls, M was MILES AHEAD of them in poise, style and walking. I mean - I think I could have walked better than some of them - even in those ridiculous high heels!!!


The shorts and the crop top

The pose

ACK - the bathing suit!!!   I think she pulled that one off quite nicely. 

The final walk


I think she did a FABULOUS job. I will have to figure out how to take better pictures for future events and there is another fashion show coming up in two weeks. GREAT JOB M!!!!!   You looked great and we are pretty proud of you. Yep - I say WE because even DH was at the show last night. Apparently there was a guy there taking pictures for the fashion show. He told the girls he would give them pictures for their portfolios. Apparently (OK - so this was a small scale event) - anyway - the photographer is a forensics photographer and he photographs DEAD BODIES for a living. How exciting!!!!!!

It was a CRAZY CRAZY day. Up at the usual time. Then drove M to Appleby College (how the other side of the world lives) for her SAT test (which went well????). Anyway - I was still in my PJs at that point of the day. Then back home to finish blogging and prepare for not one, but TWO different classes at the Hobby Horse. We had a GREAT time - wait until you see the project we started yesterday. I know- but it shouldn't take "long" to complete it. WAKE UP and SMELL THE ROSES - SISTER!!!!!!!    That Judy Neimeyer paper pieced bed runner is going to take a LOT (and I mean a LOT of sewing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)


BUT - I got to meet a CRAZY person.   Back in the summer I posted a picture of this..............


INSANITY quilt   - scroll all the way to the end of the blog - it is right at the end

and if you want to see a close up and how it was made - check out this link...............


How INSANITY was made


Well one of the students in my class started talking about a quilt she had made and I knew INSTINCTIVELY which quilt she was talking about. The same thing happened when I was talking to the dental hygienist and her sister's parking ticket. I must be PSYCHIC - not psychotic!!!!!!


Anyway - sure enough - it was the SAME quilt and Sue had pictures with her to prove it. I am SO IMPRESSED. This quilt is something you have to see to believe!!!!   She is coming back to my class on December 1 and she is going to bring the quilt - if you want to see it - come and see. She is a wonderful lady and has a VERY supportive husband. I want to be married to her husband!!!!


I like to read a variety of books and one day when dropping M off at some event, I was close to the main branch of the public library. So I went in to browse. A VERY DEADLY thing for me to do since I walked out with a stack - make that a HUGE stack of books. Don't even ask how I manage that many books - but now I have to manage my borrowing list to keep them "circulating" until I get to read them and not have any overdue!!!!

But I picked up this book on knitting. It was written by Stephanie Pearl-McPhnee also know as The Yarn Harlot.    She writes a blog and if you follow that link above - you will see her blog. This book is pretty funny (hey - she is CANADIAN - from Toronto) - OK - so the book was written 6 or 7 years ago (I'm not "up to date" with the knitting world). But it is worth a read and many (OK - tons of times) you could substitute quilting for knitting and you would think she was one of US.


The Yarn Harlot


Now there is a bad thing about reading a knitting book and being obsessive. You want to knit. Hey - I used to knit - sweaters, bedspreads (in blocks), afghans and tons of other stuff - Heck - I still have two pretty cool sweaters that I knit a LONG LONG time ago. I would dig them out to take pictures, but everyone is still sleeping and to wake them up to dig out a sweater - well it wouldn't go over so well. Later - be patient........


But later that day (after reading this book), I HAD to run to Ruti's. Now if you know Ruti's, I think most of the girls there are knitters and the owner (Ruthie) is a KNITTER FIRST and a QUILTER second. So yes - there is all kinds of yarn at the store. I yelled at the girls on the way in "DO NOT let me go into the yarn room", I REPEAT "DO NOT let me into the yarn room". Alas - they DO NOT listen well or perhaps when they were busy with other customers, I slipped past them.  OK I confess - I ASKED them where the sock yarn was - I could NOT help myself. I want to knit a pair of socks. I mean Linda and Karen (from Christmas Club) are always knitting socks - YEP - I'll blame it on Linda and Karen - it is THEIR fault that I got that book and THEIR fault, I bought that sock yarn.

Hey - do you know why I (an unknowing knitter) know this yard is for socks????   Yep - there is a PICTURE of socks on the ball band (a new phrase I picked up - a BALL BAND). So I am pretty safe to say that this is sock yarn!!!


Now I have to find the time to knit the darn things. But according to The Yarn Harlot - I can knit anywhere so I suppose while I am waiting at fashion shows - I can dig out my sock yarn (in my cool orange bag I bought which is currently holding the afghan block that TISH made me buy). I think M needs to learn how to knit so when she is waiting at these fashion shows, she won't be bored!!!!!   I am sure DH will be mortified when I bring out the knitting bag!!!!!  

First - I need to learn MORE about knitting. In my infinite "wisdom", I only know ONE way to cast on and ONE way to cast off. Apparently there are many ways and some are better for one thing and others are better for something else. Don't worry - I have the "Teach Yourself to Knit Visually" (from the library of course) so I am sure they have all the details in there. Just got to get to it. I don't think it is due back for a couple of weeks, so TWO days before it is due - I will get to it!!!!!


Today, I have yet another class - ACK!!!!   While I love to teach, having FOUR classes in 48 hours is a bit much. Today though - four students at MY STUDIO. It will be easy (I hope) - they are learning how to use the long arm.


And I am BEHIND with the block exchanges and they are due in ONE WEEK. Oh boy - I think I will be cutting, pasting (fusible applique) and stitching to try and get them done. I know that all the other eight in the group - well they probably have bets - will she or won't she be ready for the exchange. Hmmmm - I think I won't say anything more about those exchange until AFTER so they won't get any hints from me.


On that note - the time changed last night, but I am still on the old time (well the dogs are still on the old time) so today will be another LONG day.

Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment