Monday, February 3, 2020

Parting is such sweet sorrow


That's a silly saying when you think about it. How can any part of parting be sweet??  I had a good cry when I dropped M off at the airport at a ridiculous hour this morning so she could catch a 6:15 AM flight. I miss her already. I especially miss Little Bear. He did NOT want to sleep with M last night and instead was quite happy to sleep with me. He's so darn cute! But he's a naughty boy in the house.

The weekend brought back memories of driving your kid to and from all kinds of activities as I drove her to and from friend's houses. OH  - I'm so happy those days are over. Love the kid - hate the driving. However, it was a good time to catch up so that worked out OK. 

I managed to get a bit of work done yesterday so that was a good thing. I still don't feel like I'm making major headway, but the fact that headway is being made is the only thing that matters.

There are a lot of projects that need binding so that's what I focused on. I managed to get the binding on this table topper. The binding is only sewn to the back of the project and will need to be brought to the front another day.

Binding is partially sewn on this project

I was back on the long arm as well and got the Quilts of Valour quilt done.  Yeah!!!! I've committed to quilting one quilt a month for that organization.


Quilts of Valour quilt - DONE


That quilt is trimmed and ready to be dropped off. The binding was with the quilt, but given the fact that I'll also be donating three completed quilts, I didn't feel guilty about not putting that binding on. I know the group has a team that helps them with bindings so I'll leave that to them.

While the other three quilts were quilted, they still needed to have the binding put on. I managed to get the binding completely finished on this quilt. The kit for this quilt was pulled from the donation pile of fabric at my house. Diane sewed the quilt top and the backing came from my stash. I think Diane donated the binding. The bottom line, this quilt is ready to be delivered.

Donation quilt for Quilts of Valour


I got the binding sewn on the other two quilts that are to be donated to Quilts of Valour, but the binding is only sewn to the back and needs to be sewn to the front of the quilt. That's for later this week.

I pulled three more tops from the "to be quilted" pile. I'll see if Quilts of Valour wants them and if they do, they'll go in the "to be quilted" pile for February. I've got a plan. I figure I can "donate" my time - one community project quilt a week. I'll focus on the quilting and the binding part.  If I don't stay on track, I'm OK with that and we may just run out of quilts in the "to be quilted" pile. Actually, there might be enough for this year. That's a good thing/bad thing.

I'm on a training class today and tomorrow so after dropping M off at the airport, I headed to the gym where I did a bit of extra walking. I should clarify the issue with my toe. That did NOT start because of the extra miles. The callus has been there for a long time - the extra walking has just caused it to be an issue. I'm wearing my big white running shoes today. I don't care. Some shoes work and some shoes don't. I'm not sure why. I think I'm going to start trying to scrub away at the callus every day until it's gone. 

So now, I'm sitting in the lobby of the hotel where the class is being held. If you have an office in a backpack, you can go anywhere and do anything.

I had to pack up the Husqvarna Viking DESIGNER EPIC 2 last night so I could bring it with me today. It took a wee bit of searching to find all the bits that go with it. The lesson here is when unpacking a machine, keep all the bits together. I succeeded in finding everything, but where or where were the manuals? And the Accessory Tray? I finally located them.

I thought it would be fun to compare the DESIGNER EPIC 2 to the very first DESIGNER 1 that was was released in 1996 or thereabouts. I bought my machine in 1998.  It was the top of the line at the time and I know that I was shocked that I spent that kind of money on a sewing machine that also did embroidery. Little did I know how much the machines would cost in the future. But it's actually not that bad considering the changes that have occurred. Look at the size of the two.

DESIGNER 1 beside a DESIGNER EPIC 2

I still use the DESIGNER 1 sewing machine from time to time. For sewing only - I couldn't imagine going back to a FLOPPY DISK to load a design into the embroidery module.

Shoot - I forgot to bring snacks with me and I like a snack in the morning. Hopefully, we have snacks. I hate being without my snacks, but there was so much to remember to pack at the ungodly hour that I left the house.

I finished my audiobook yesterday. I cried at the end even though I knew that one of the characters was going to die. It was a very good book about relationships (mostly mother-daughter), but it was also about making decisions. Is it OK to make a decision based on what is the "perceived" right thing to do or should you fight tradition and go with your heart? your passion? Lots of food for thought. I will confess that parts of the book are very sad to read and very sad to realize that many people went through their lives making decisions because it was the "right thing to do".

I think that's it for me today. It's going to be a long day - not just because it's a training day, but because of the early hour and well - it's going to be OK. Just long. But I managed to sneak in some extra steps this morning to compensate for the fact that I'm going to be sitting for a good part of the day. That's so hard for me.

Have a super day!!!!

Ciao!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment