Wednesday, February 19, 2020

UFO Show and Tell Part Two


Wasn't that exciting to see all those UFOs from our meeting this past weekend? Well, I've got more today as I didn't have all the pictures assembled yesterday. Here's what else we're working on.

I got such a chuckle from this picture that I had to share it with you. This is Katheleen's UFO cupboard. It looks like an IKEA cabinet. Don't you love how all those scrapbook cases fit so neatly onto the shelves? They all appear to be labeled. That's a lot of UFOs. I think she'll be participating in the club for a while. The big question is - are there UFO's on the other side? or just this side?

Katheleen's UFO closet
 This is a quilt she made and the UFO resulted from the leftovers.

Katheleen's quilt
And here are the leftovers. I do like doing something with the leftovers rather than just shoving them in the stash. I guess it depends on what's leftover.


The leftovers from the quilt

 So her goal for the month was to whip up some table runners and toppers that could be used in the same room as the quilt. I think those pieces go well with her sofa!!!


The finished table runners
 Her commitment for the next month is to finish the hand embroidery on two blocks from Snow Days.

Katheleen's commitment for next month


Elaine S is also working on Stitcher's Garden quilt. Her goal was to get the top together (minus the borders) and here it is. It looks awesome. This project is going on hold until she can find an appropriate fabric for the borders. There are five borders on this quilt.


Elaine S - Stitcher's Garden quilt

Her goal for the coming month is to dig out the Snowman Collector quilt and take inventory of what is in the box, what needs to be done, etc.

The pattern for Snowman Collector
Diane's goal was to get this quilt quilted and bound. I had to laugh as I was getting updates from her as the morning progressed. Diane never leaves her commitment until the last day. But here she is binding the quilt.


The binding is in progress
 Here's Diane's finished quilt. I love the colorway. I haven't seen her next commitment yet as we didn't get together for Monday, but I need that soon to put it in the book.


Diane's finished quilt

Laura's goal was to finish two more sets of wedges for the PRISM squared quilt.

Two more sets of wedges

So far this is what she has assembled. The wedge sets are not sewn together in the photo below. At least I don't think they are. Her goal for the coming month is to complete the LAST two sets of wedges. I bet she's going to be thrilled to get that done.


Laura's PRISM squared to date

 And then there was me. My goal was to get the top of Stitcher's Garden together (minus the borders). And it's done! You didn't hear the little scream I gave when I pressed the final seam?

My Stitcher's Garden quilt top


I didn't have anything in my stash that would work for borders (and I did my own thing with the borders), but I was pretty sure that I wanted green. I found some the other day when I had popped into a quilt shop. After cutting the strips for the inner border, I had a 2 ½" strip left. That's perfect. Scrap for the green scrap box but nothing for the stash.


Only a 2 ½" strip was leftover

And that border went on the quilt.


The inner border is now on the quilt

I was on a roll (and this happened AFTER our UFO meeting), I got to work and put the final border on. Again, I had mere scraps of fabric leftover from the yardage that I had purchased. No more excessive buying, but I have no qualms about buying something if I need it.


The finished quilt top
 I scoured the stash room to find some fabric for the backing. The first time I had looked, I didn't see anything I liked. The second time, I did find something and there was JUST ENOUGH on the bolt. I had to put two seams in it and that little square is all that was left and the backing is barely large enough. Perfect!!!!


A scrap of fabric from the backing

And there's one more bolt of fabric - GONE. Sadly, there are lots more where that came from, but one at a time works for me.

An empty bolt of fabric

And there we have it - the completed quilt top, the binding and the backing. The pictures don't do justice to the brightness of that quilt top. It's BRIGHT, but the green helps to pull it together. Botton line - it got moved to the "to be quilted" pile. I got to cross this off one of my 2018 UFO list. There are still four quilts on that list, but I'm good with that. They are NOT being forgotten.

The Stitcher's Garden quilt is ready to be quilted


So what's my goal for next month? This is the Peaceful Year quilt. It's the FIRST $10 quilt that we ever did at The Hobby Horse. That goes back a LONG, LONG time. The top is together and has been for years.

Oh boy - when I laid it out, I realized how HUGE this quilt is. I had forgotten how big it was.

Pieceful Year quilt

The quilt has two borders and the borders are in progress so my goal is to get them on the quilt. One of the borders (one side only) is pieced, but not sewn on.


One of the borders
And wasn't I commenting on customers who used yarn-dyed fabric for the borders? Well, here's another quilt that uses yarn-dyed fabric. The entire quilt is made from it. Oh boy!! With all those seams, this is going to be a nightmare to prevent stretching along the edges.

My yard-dyed fabric

 This yellow must be the inner border. It's not a yarn-dyed and I'm not so sure that I like it. I'll have to do some checking and see if I can find something else. This quilt is from my 2020 UFO list.

The inner border

The best part about finishing up a UFO? Getting to empty the project box so you can fill it with another project.

The project box for Stitcher's Garden

All the fabric is now back in the appropriate baskets of fabric in the stash room and the scraps are in the appropriate scrap box. Yeah!!!!  That feels great and I hope that the next UFO doesn't take me that long. Well - it can't since I committed to getting that quilt top completed for next month. Yikes - we have a sit n sew day tomorrow. Guess what I'll be working on?

WOW!!!!  That's so exciting to see some of those old projects dredged up and getting completed. I really do believe that we can make huge dents in our UFO stashes. I know we can!!!  And I know that a lot of you are working on them as well and I've got a few more things to share tomorrow.

On that note, I'm out of here.

Have a super day!!!!

Ciao!!!

1 comment:

  1. You have motivated me to dig out my row x rows from 2016... ugh! I am not enjoying the process (why did they have to make them so complicated and some with really poor applique instructions?) but, I do like seeing the finished row on my design wall. The picture of what is done so far is on my blog http://rosyquilter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete