Thursday, November 16, 2023

Highway of memories!

Yesterday was a long day but also a very exciting day. Not only am I totally relaxed now because I have SEVEN FREE days next week, but just because! There is no point in being frazzled unless there is a very good reason. 

I had prepped most everything the evening before, so all I had to do was write the blog and take the girls for a short walk, which was better than no walk. Then, I was in the car for a long drive. 

I'm not the best with long drives, but I made out OK. I should know better, but I stopped for gas at one of the Service Ontario spots along the highway and paid $1.57 per liter. Shortly after, I got into the smaller areas and spotted gas for $1.45. Sigh.

However, it's not such a big deal if you do the math. My car takes 45 liters of gas, so even if the car was totally empty, which it was not, I would have paid a difference of 12 cents per liter, which equals $5.40. Hardly anything to get upset about. 

I chuckle when they announce that the gas prices are going up by 3 cents at midnight, and everyone flocks to the gas pumps. Again - if my car was completely empty, I would save $1.35. It's hardly worth the effort to go out. However, if my vehicle used 100 liters, that might be a different story, but it depends on how empty the tank is. 

I stopped at Thimbles and Things to say HI to Paula. Sue happened to be there teaching a class, so it was also fun to say hi to her. Since the Fireside Retreat closed, I don't get up there that often. Then, three ladies from the Tequila Lime class stopped in to buy their fabric, so we had a grand chat. It was so lovely to meet them in person. I can't wait to see what they bought! 

And, well, I did a bit of retail therapy shopping myself. I bought a few more fabrics (batiks) for my Tequila Lime, so I have a nice variety now that will help with the gradations I expect to use throughout the quilt. I bought a half meter of a funky print for some journal making (more on that in January) and two patterns. YES -- I didn't need either of the patterns, but they are super cute!

Sorry -- it all got winged into the car, and I didn't take pictures of any of it. Interestingly enough, Sue asked if I was still teaching tuffets! I had to laugh because we just finished one last week for someone who purchased one of my kits. I am DONE with tuffet making! 

I arrived a bit before the store opened, so I pulled into a parking lot and had a 15-minute snooze. Yep -- I can do that, and I felt great the remainder of the way.

The roads were excellent, with no construction or very little. It was a bit like an old home week as I drove past the house where Fireside Retreat used to be. Nothing much has changed - I noticed a nice table on the back deck and a hammock! Oh - that would be nice. All the barn quilt block signs are still up. Such fond memories of that location. 

The house that used to be Fireside Retreat

Then, past Bracebridge, where there used to be a quilt shop (bought and sold several times). This was when we went to the Quilter's MisBehaven retreat near Raymond, Ontario. There's the highway exit to get to that house. I didn't drive by as it's a bit off the road. Don't Google that one -- it's been closed for YEARS. I think it opened in 2006 or something like that, and it existed for 10 years? 

AH -- there's the exit to get to the Seams Appropriate quilt retreat (still in operation), which is just on the other side of the highway. I no longer book that one as two retreat houses are much closer to me and those who attend. 

Then, past Huntsville, where there used to be a quilt store and a fantastic drug store with the largest selection of quilting magazines. Sadly, that is long gone. So many memories along that section of the road. 

Once I was past Huntsville, it was "new" territory. Ah -- but there's the exit to where Maryke lives, and then, there's Morgan's' exit. They chat about them during our Virtual Retreats, and well,  I felt right at home along that stretch of the highway. 

Then I arrived in North Bay, and it was easy to find the Gem Sewing shop. They have a BEAUTIFUL classroom area. OH -- I did a bit of damage at that store as well! I found some things that I had been trying to find, which was exciting. I bought a new fabric mat for my digital cutter because I will need one based on what I plan to do with it in 2024. The best part was that it went in the car, and there was no need to worry bout shipping it. 

I spotted this in the washroom at Thimbles and Things. 

Spare time activities for a quilter

I thought it was cute, and honestly, I don't have much spare time, but I do this with fabric regularly! But it was nice to buy - just for the sake of buying. I have not done that in a long time. But the things I bought were mostly things that I wanted and couldn't find elsewhere. I'll take pictures and share them!

As you know, I'm a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants person who never pre-books hotels. I've been caught once or twice, but not yesterday. When the first event finished, and I could get away, it was already 4:30. I popped out to the hotel (YES - I know I could book online - hate it!), and they had a "couple" of rooms left. What does that mean? 

Anyway, I got a room, and I was good for the night and ready to return to the store for the second event. OH -- we had been talking about senior discounts the other day. Someone mentioned that you need to be careful because sometimes the senior's discount works out to MORE than the real price. Wait a minute -- there is NO REAL PRICE any longer. The price is different if you book online versus in person versus having discounts through CAA or Senior or whatever. It is one of the most confusing things around. 

What I am very cautious of is booking online. The hotel has NOTHING to do with that, so if you need to make changes or need information or even the bill -- the booking company provides that. I HATE that, so I refuse to book with those booking agencies! I prefer to book in person! I take my chances, and I've been caught a few times where I had to go to several hotels, but I've always found a room. The worst case is that I have to sleep in the car, which has never happened. 

This is the wall when you exit the elevator on my floor. It's an appropriate color, I would say. 

Outside the elevators on my floor

And yes -- as I arrived at my room, which was completely at the end of the long hallway, I discovered my room key wouldn't work. OK -- there has to be something wrong with me. So I trundled all my stuff back downstairs to get the key redone. Back up to the room, and CRAP -- it won't work again. AH -- I turned the key around, and it worked, so it probably worked the first time. 

My room is the LAST one

I am so NOT good at this. What is wrong with me? I looked at the key, and the logical way to put it in was NOT the way it worked! My brain must be wired differently. But I need to try the other way if the first one doesn't work. No worries - I needed extra steps because I did NOT walk far. 

My technology setup worked like a charm. I now have the hang of it and can easily switch between the camera and the presentation. But that requires a few cables to make that happen. 


My cable collection

Some of those are power cords, some are HDMI cables, and when I set up, I think one was missing. Where the heck did I put that, or maybe it's all mixed up. I need to sort it out because I will need that third cable tomorrow. And Margaret's advice is to put my name on all of them, which is excellent advice because it's easy to get things mixed up!

At the evening presentation, I met Morgan, whom I've known virtually for several years. It's hilarious when you finally meet in person because you feel like you know that person! Thanks for helping me get all my stuff to the car!

I woke up this morning and peeked out the window, and I swear I saw snow! Nope -- just heavy frost on the vehicles!

Today is a travel day, but it is relatively short, which is good, so I plan on getting set up at the new location and going for a long walk. Then I have some computer work, so it's all good. 

One more day of presentations tomorrow and then the long drive back! 

On that note - I'm out of here. I usually eat breakfast while blogging, but I guess I could have gotten dressed and gone downstairs and blogged at the breakfast table, but I didn't. I'm in casual mode today!

Have a super day!!!


Ciao!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment