Wednesday, May 22, 2024

What happens at quilt retreat - stays at quilt retreat

Today is our last day at the retreat (Springhouse Retreat), and then I'm home for 3 1/2 weeks before I need to go anywhere. I'm almost giddy knowing that! The vertigo is still there but very mild. I can feel it on the periphery of my brain, if that makes sense. So, I'll look at those exercises when I'm home to try and get rid of it completely. 

Yesterday was one of those days! I was having an issue with a tool that I needed to finish my blog posts, and my ingenuity solved it. I turned one tool into another, and it worked like a charm. I'll share that with you later. So I was able to make progress. I'm still working on one part, and I'll finish it when I'm home. I need a mental break!

Then we went for a walk. OMG. A small stream crosses this property. Remember, I said there was a big storm the previous night. Well, look at the stream. 


The stream that became a river


The water level had risen at least 6 inches from the previous day, and it was so muddy you couldn't see into it. The previous day, the water was so clear you could see to the bottom. Nature is fascinating to watch. 

There's a large pond on the property that we learned was created with a grant from Ducks Unlimited. We spotted a mommy and daddy goose with three babies there and something swimming just underwater. Was it an otter? A beaver? The Loch Ness monster? We're not sure, but the geese were not impressed. 

The goose pond


We took a quick visit to New Hamburg and visited two quilt stores. Help me—I didn't need anything of what I bought. And I'll share it with you another day. On the way back, we spotted a heron in the same pond. I couldn't get my phone out quick enough to take a picture. You might see him flying if you look very close at the far end. 

What is amazing about them is that they are HUGE. Their wing span is impressive, as is their ability to take flight quickly. 

We've had the sewing room windows open, and what a glorious sewing room this is. Honestly, this is the best sewing room of any retreat I've been to. It's about six times the size of the room in the very first retreat house we rented. The breeze the last couple of days has been glorious! 

If you need some quiet time, there are many places to take a break. This is the view from the front porch, although it was in the shade and a tad cool for me, so I didn't stay out there for long. 


The view from the porch


I cut pieces to make enough blocks to enlarge the white and black quilt I worked on the other day. There was some black in the bag, and I cut it all up, but I'll need more. So when I get home, I can find more black and throw it in the bag. Those projects will be good for the next retreat because everything is sewn and I know I could finish them. 

Ready to sew more blocks

I cut a few of the remaining white and black strips to make some split 9-patch blocks. I know -- why did I do that? But I'm OK with it! I need to make a sample block to see what needs to be cut and how many of each piece. 

Components to start a split 9-patch quilt


I started trimming that second bag of half-square triangles. It's smaller than the first and completely sewn, so I could get through that one faster than the one I was working on. That is one more project that I touched in the basket! I still need to rip out that zipper and check the video camera, and there are two projects that I didn't touch. Overall, I think I packed very well. 

Then, I pulled out another project. Of course, it's in bits and pieces. It was one of the hidden blocks promoted by a certain large quilt store. The only problem is that those pinwheels end up being on the bias, so most of the edges of the block are also on the bias. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. 

The next project


I cut a lot more squares in the traditional way so the edges would have a straight grain, and that is working much better and with much less danger of stretching the blocks. It drives me crazy when I see people who just go nuts about these "new" techniques, but in reality, they take more time because you have to be that much more careful. 

The block

This is our HOBBY! We shouldn't be rushing from project to project. It is the crazy designers and fabric marketers who are ruining our hobby for us. They are "insisting" on buying and making - MORE and MORE and MORE, to the point that quilting becomes an obsession and a job. That's not fun. 

Slow and steady—enjoy the process. I have to say that I've enjoyed the bits of time that I spent here on my personal projects. It's been fun, and I think my schedule will allow me to continue to work on these projects when I get home. Of course, I have other commitments, but I want to try and eke out some time each day for my stuff. Having no travel will help enormously, and my class commitments are winding down. 

So all is good! That's also going to leave me room to tackle that technology clean-up, and perhaps I can tackle more stuff in the office. I'm feeling the urge to purge!

How are those drawers coming along? Yep -- I know -- there are a lot of drawers in our houses. I think I've been through almost all the drawers, but WAIT- I realize there are two drawers in the hall table. One is mine, and one is DH's. I know there are things in that drawer that need to go. 

We've had some fascinating and intense conversations while at the retreat. What I'm learning is that these quilt retreats are highly therapeutic. You know that you are NOT alone in any situation that comes up. If you get a chance to come to a quilt retreat, you must make an effort to attend. They are so worth it for the open sewing time, the making and strengthening of friendships, realizing that it's OK to talk about issues or concerns, and simply sharing many topics. 

However, there is one rule—what happens (or is said) at a quilt retreat stays at the quilt retreat. But let's just say that I've had many wonderful conversations, been inspired (impressed) by the strength (courage) of some of the others, learned many things, and shared information, and it's been a glorious six days!!

If you are interested in attending a quilt retreat, email me. I have several booked for next year and know I will have some open spots. 

elainetheriault@gmail.com

On that note, pick out the one or two drawers you will tackle today and get to it. Get it over quickly, and then you have the rest of the day to do what you want - guilt-free!!!

Have a super day!!

Ciao!!!














No comments:

Post a Comment