Friday, May 31, 2024

One thing leads to another!

Yeah for BANNING multitasking! I'm all for slow and methodical work, which suits me perfectly. 

Having said that, I am doing one task in quilting but also trying to clean out the kitchen, and one thing is leading to another. 

I've been "nagging" about cleaning out drawers for the last while. Right? You're doing that, aren't you? I decided to clean out the spice drawer. 

DH went through them and decided what he wanted to keep and what to throw. I then washed the drawers and ordered something because I couldn't find it in the stores nearby. 

The box arrived the other day. 

The box arrived


Hmm—one of the items was a bit misleading. When I checked, what I received was what was mentioned, but at first glance, it didn't appear so. I got the impression that I had enough slots to expand from a 13" wide drawer to 26" wide and fill the length. NO—there were four slots in total. So, it is a maximum of 13" wide unless I purchase a second set, which I don't need. 


The spice drawer organizer

They are slightly narrower than my drawer, which is a bit over 14" wide, but that's OK. I can only fit three deep, not four. I need to figure out a good way to position them so they don't slide around. That is the one issue with buying these drawer organizers—they don't fit the drawer exactly, so there are gaps. 

The organizer in the drawer


I'm in the process of putting the spices into the jars and labeling them. Although that was a separate purchase, it came in the same box. 

New jars and labels for the spice jars


And there's the first jar in the drawer. I used some of the foam padding along the side, but I know that will get dirty, so I've got to think of another alternative. A piece of wood would be great, both along the side and the back, so things don't shift. 

The first jar of spice

Then, I looked at two other drawers in that area. Oh gosh—why did I do that? There is a drawer with straws and plastic cutlery. I'll deal with that another day, as I already have enough of a mess on the counter. 

A drawer for straws and plastic cutlery



Then there's the drawer with placemats and aprons, most of which we don't use. I'm not sure what to do there. I might keep one set of placemats and an apron, and the rest can go. 

Aprons and placemats


There's a drawer with the cutting mats, which we use constantly, so that stays as is. 

A drawer of cutting mats


I had already gone through the cupboards below these drawers but decided to look again. OH MY GOSH—after I moved some napkins from one of the drawers to put them all together, look at all the napkins! I don't think we need to buy any for a long time!!! Those can stay—we'll use them. 

A supply of napkins

There are a couple of old canisters, some vases, and a couple of jugs. Do I need that many? I'll go through this as well. I'm happy to report that there isn't much in there—at least compared to what it was a few years ago. Yep, to the left in the corner, there isn't much, as you can see in the photo above. 

A few things to deal with

Then I looked in the two cupboards to the left of those two. This is where our meager supply of appliances is stored. Yes, while we don't use these all the time, they get used, so they stay. But notice how empty that space is! I will take everything out and clean the cupboards. 




Our few appliances


This is the final cupboard in that area. There are a few things here that I think we can part with. I need to go through it and see what we need to keep. One of the hinges needs some repair, so that is on the list. 

One more cupboard to deal with


Here is the area in question. Overall, it's pretty tidy, but even more can be parted with. I'll work on this area, but first, I need to deal with that spice drawer. 

This section of the kitchen is under attack


Inside one of those cabinets, I spotted a cutlery tray FILLED with odds and ends of cutlery. I even found the manual can opener. I was sure we had one, but where was it. So that tray needs to be dealt with as well. 


The manual can opener


I also found this. What the heck is it? It looks like some kind of measuring device, but for what? 

Do you know what this is? 


OH MY GOSH --- I just did a Google search on that photo! Do you know what it is? It's for making mini patties!!! Who knew, and why the heck do I have it? 

While I should be in the office cleaning up stuff, this little corner of the kitchen will be my focus for the next while. YES—I know I could rip through it in a day, and I just might once I get those darn spices in the jars! 

I bought some drawer organizers the other day for the utensils, and when I opened the drawer on the island and sorted through the stuff, I almost died. How many spatulas does one household need? 

But three of those organizers fill the space beautifully. I found a few more things in that drawer that were "missing," so the most used stuff will stay in that drawer, while the occasionally used things will go in the overflow drawer. Good grief --- how come so much stuff? Technically, I could get rid of some of the spatulas. We would never need more than 3 at any given time. Perhaps I'll do that before I put them away. I need to wash the drawers first. 

The utensil drawers

And then there is Studio B. I swear I can pass that Swiffer ten times daily, but I still miss stuff. I love how clear the floor space is, so using the Swiffer is a breeze and takes mere seconds. 


My trusty Swiffer

That's one of the areas! I aim to eliminate that extension cord from that area, and I'll do that later today. 


Wide open areas!

Before bed, I grab a few small things on the cutting table to deal with in the morning. But most of what is on it now are several quilt backs that have to be made. I'm so close!! But I figure it will take me a week at least before I'm done! More on the green coat tomorrow. 


Things to deal with this morning


I found a box of these little crocheted skates at the farm, and I stole one. They are darn cute. My Mom had many of them, but they were donated to a good home. 

A pair of crocheted skates



Yes, having all that open space is so inviting to work that I'm actually giddy each morning as I pop downstairs to work. What a dream this is! And I'm trying desperately hard to keep it that way. There are a few things strewn around to deal with this morning, but they're leftovers from what I was working on yesterday. Just do not add to it before it's done! 



Wide open spaces! 


Some HSTs got trimmed. I'm keeping up with the trimming as I sew these darn things. There will be no more huge stacks to deal with in the future. 

Trimming HSTs



Murphy loves to spend time downstairs with me. I don't think it's because of me, but because it's cool down there. But at the moment? It's freezing everywhere! I resorted to sweatpants and thick wool socks yesterday!


Murphy having a snooze

But there are times when I'm working and probably have my headphones on, and all of a sudden, there she is - watching me!!! It's unnerving, to say the least!


MOM -- I'm watching you!


I got another quilt done, and the next one is loaded, except I have to piece the batting. The next one is for QOV, so I'm OK with piecing the batting. I never do that for a customer. 

Customer quilt - DONE



I even walked to the thrift store with money and didn't buy a thing! Yes - I'm getting good!!

Here's the link to the  Thursday post for QUILTsocial. It's all about making piping. 

And here's the link to the Friday post for QUILTsocial. I made cushions with piping AND an invisible zipper!! I've never done that before and was thrilled with how they turned out. But check out the final pictures of how it all came together in my backyard!!

On that note, I'm out of here. There's still lots of toing and froing in the house, making it challenging to focus these days. I suspect today will be somewhat quieter!

Have a super day!!

Ciao!!!










1 comment:

  1. Love empty spaces in the kitchen! I cook 2 meals a day. I have 6 spatulas and 3 "flippers". Sometimes have to handwash one before the DW is full (I don't run it till full).

    Cheers to studio B progress. Loving the look but likely not as much as you do :-)

    ReplyDelete