Wednesday, May 29, 2024

When something goes BUMP!

Hmmm—interesting about the bananas. I buy them for myself and eat one daily, so I used to buy a bunch with five or possibly six. They will last that long without going mush. Anyway, I'll keep buying the single bananas!

I have so many pictures to share—there will be lots all week! But it's spin class morning, so there's not much time. 

A few days ago, I heard a bump and thought it came from upstairs. I checked but didn't see anything, and there isn't really anything that could go bump. 

Yesterday, when I was puttering in Studio B, I went to put something in the storage room. This is what I saw. I suspect this is what went BUMP!


Timber!

ACK -- I thought that might happen to those boxes one day. They have been stacked there for a few years. Look at the bottom box. 

A not-so-solid base


There were SIX boxes of novelty prints stacked on top of each other. We are not even going there! Let's say that novelty prints were my go-to thing to buy. I was obsessed. 

So I moved the boxes out of the way, which was challenging as they were on their side and heavy. Oh gosh—I found an entire box filled with bicycle fabric, and I already have another two tubs filled with bicycle fabric. 

The mess got cleaned up!

And they got moved into Studio B, so I could assess the situation. 


The boxes are now in Studio B

The bicycle fabric got moved into the other two tubs, but only after I removed the Halloween fabric from one. So that is sitting loose in the storage room but neatly stacked. That leaves five boxes. 

I decided I needed one of those rugged plastic totes for the bottom, as the cardboard box wasn't strong enough for all that weight. I walked to the hardware store and bought two heavy-duty plastic totes. It was fun to walk them home, and I'm waiting for them to air out a bit because of their strong smell. 

Yes, I know plastic isn't the best for fabric storage, but in this case, neither is cardboard. And YES, I know I need to deal with the fabric, but for now, it's neatly stored in that corner, and I know it's there. I refuse at this point to sell it and most certainly would NEVER give it away just to saddle someone else with it. I have a plan, but it's not the time to execute it. 

I should write notes on these boxes if I'm not around to deal with them. The notes should say what is in the totes, what to do with the totes of fabric, and how much to sell them for!

In the process, I realized an ironing board in that corner could be donated as it's been there for a long time. I have two big ironing boards, and DH has his own. I don't think we need a fourth. 

This is what the cutting table looked like in the morning after my previous clean sweep. I got all the tripods put away, as well as some other stuff off the table. The one end is still covered, but it's mostly quilt backings and bindings that would be easy to deal with. 


The cutting table

And there is this table, which I dealt with yesterday. 

One more table to deal with

I had a box (red one) to pack up the cute Singer SE9180, and the Momento needed to be unpacked (brown box). Both tasks were accomplished, although putting a sewing machine back in the box can be a puzzle. This didn't disappoint, and I eventually got everything back where it should go!


A box to unpack and one to pack up!


That container of elastics got culled, and it's back in its place in the desk drawer. 

The culled container of elastics


I also got the backing made for this small quilt, which is now in the "to be quilted" pile. 

This project is now moved to the "to be quilted" pile

Now that one more table was freed up (the Singer was sitting on it), I placed all the items that needed to be cut on this table. My goal is to get things off the floor and into categories or their respective homes. I don't want this to be put away; I want to deal with it, so it's here. I hope to do some cutting daily to progress on all these projects. And I could FREE up another plastic tote! A double goal!


Projects to cut!

Digital cutters better be a big focus in my life since three now occupy three tables! But now that they are handy and the mats are handy on my shelving unit, I can quickly move from one to the other, and both heat presses are out. 



The digital cutting station


I now need to sit down and plan for one of the upcoming exercises I want at the next meeting. 

After a long day, I managed to get this quilt top together! This quilt was started in the PRE-CUT class at Hobby Horse several years ago. I LOVE the quilt top even though it's square—it has to be for this pattern. But I've learned that not all precuts are cut the same! 


Another quilt top is done!



The binding got made, and the backing fabric was pulled, but I was getting tired, and some thought was required to make it happen. I'll deal with that today. 

Then, while I listened to the end of my audiobook chapter, I sorted through this basket of brown fabric. I'm cutting pieces of the brown to make a scrap quilt—2" squares and 2" by 5" pieces. The only problem is I don't remember what pattern I was going to make! Seriously? 


Sorting through the brown scraps

But now I can go through the basket with large enough pieces and cut them. That's one of the baskets on the cutting table. I want to go through the two shoe boxes of brown fabric a second time and pull out any long pieces (strings) to make a string quilt. 

Loads more happened yesterday, but I've run out of time. 

Remember to check out QUILTsocial. 


Monday's post - Collecting supplies

Tuesday's post - Cutting the large pieces for the placemats and the cushions


And on that note, I'm off to spin class!!


Have a super day!!!


Ciao!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment