Thursday, June 6, 2024

Pulling samples is loads of fun!

The saga of the jelly roll race quilt continues. I checked out the video, and YES, she has you join all the strips together (jelly roll race technique)and then cut the first length (non-jelly roll race technique). The next step makes me shudder: To make this quick, like the jelly roll race, she takes the remainder of the long strip and sews it onto the first cut length. And you continue to do so until you run out of fabric. 

That is a wonky quilt waiting to happen!

That first video was released five years ago and has 500,000 views. 

In her favor and probably due to feedback from people, she released a SECOND video about two months ago. In it, she suggests measuring the strip lengths, cutting them to a specific size, and pinning them. So, not so fast now! She also sewed it in sections of six rows and then sewed those sections together. 

So yes - she designed a very cool pattern using jelly roll strips, but it's not the jelly roll race quilt, although she still calls it that and uses the same pattern.

As I mentioned, just because you can doesn't mean you should, but I'm surprised it took so long to release a second video and that there is no reference to what she did in the first one. Now, she is only sewing 24 strips together, so there isn't too much room for wonky. My friend had many more than 24, and it went bad! 

There were a couple of other things I didn't like about the videos - I mentioned that she didn't chain-piece when sewing those strips together, she didn't clip the threads (GASP), and she mentioned using a shortened stitch length. Since she uses an industrial machine, she said to use 15 stitches per inch. Many people sew with a newer machine where the stitch length is measured by the length of the stitch in mm - i.e. 2.0 and she didn't address that. 

Notice that I'm not mentioning who this person is. I don't think it's fair for me to do that. But I hope you will gain some knowledge that just because someone puts a video on YouTube, it's not always the right or correct way to do things. While I always say there is no right or wrong way to make anything, there are some guidelines that one should follow. And randomly sewing strips together is something I would never do. I won't even sew a border on a quilt without measuring and pinning. ONE border, never mind multiple strips. 

OK—enough of that for now. Does anyone know who created the jelly roll race quilt? I know—I tried to Google it, and well, I'm still looking. Everyone has a video on how to make a jelly roll race quilt. Another day, I'll share what I know about resizing these quilts.  

I had to rearrange the morning walks as I had to stop at the bank, so Miss Murphy had to go in a new direction. While this is exciting for her, it's not always the best. She works well with routine, and new things require many more stops. 

Several years ago, I would take her through the park, and we would play with obstacles. She would jump up on this bench, walk the length of the bench, and turn when asked. We rarely do that. By rarely, I mean we might go past that bench once or twice a year, and every time she sees it, she gets excited and jumps up! She would have fun with agility, but getting her to a class was too hard, and I didn't like the instructor. Wait, that's not true. I did like the instructor a lot, but Murphy needed more than what she was giving her to do. She's like the gifted child who is made to endure things they already know. 


MOM -- this is child's play! 


I'm standing in the bank lobby waiting for an ATM. There are three, but only one was working, of course. I can hear her barking her head off outside. Someone was trying to pet her, and she went crazy with delight. When I went out, that person was still standing there - he did not want to take her; he was killing time while his mother was in the bank. But she started to bark when I got near, and I turned my back. On the third attempt, she was quiet. She learns so quickly, even if she doesn't always retain it. 

At one point, I looked out the back door and spotted her sitting at attention. 



The guard dog



Good grief -- what is she doing? 

MOM -- I'm on guard duty!


She's just hanging out! Without going into details, let's just say that rodents or small animals of any kind should know by now NOT to camp out or shop in my backyard. That could be their last adventure. Between the two girls, they keep us rodent-free. 

Speaking of rodents, even after I scrubbed out the pantry, we are still getting the occasional pantry moth. I noticed some "cocoons" along the top of the wall, so those are all gone now. Let's hope that is the last of the little devils! 


A cocoon for the pantry moths


I spent most of the day pulling samples for the Facebook Live later today. This is what the area looks like—a sewing machine in the back and cameras on tripods. We tried the new solution for that mic, and while it worked, we went with another option. Thankfully, I have loads of equipment to experiment with. And all the while, Miss Murphy is keeping me company. 


Mom -- you're doing a good job - keep it up


I think everything is collected now, and I need to make a couple of small samples that I can stitch on camera. I'll do a run-through this morning, giving me time to collect or make anything that I don't already have. I've pulled some older samples out to help today. 


I'll be glad to put everything back. Thankfully, I have a list of which quilts are in each tub - otherwise, this area would look a lot worse than it does. Oh my - I found so many quilts that can be donated. I so want this mess to be dealt with. I want to get TEN quilts quilted and donated to Quilts of Valour. There are 6 in the current basket I'm working on, so I pulled another one that was made years ago. Even the batting was with the quilt. So that will free up some space. But I need to get working as those tubs are getting full. And I do NOT have room to expand. Let's not forget the 300+ quilts in the storage room, all slated for community projects. 


The "to be quilted" pile


There is a small stand in that area that I put the customer quilts on. Right now, it is covered with batting I pulled for the Quilts of Valour quilts. But beneath that stand are two huge tubs filled with quilt tops and backing that need to be quilted for community projects. 

More community project quilts 



Oh yes—we may be organized in this house, but the excess is mind-blowing. Looking for good homes is fun, but I need to work faster! I see my package to the US is scheduled to be delivered on Monday. I love being able to track what you send. 

I read a book about a lady's journey on the Camino in Spain. There were lots of things about her trip that I would NEVER consider doing, but that's why it's our Camino, and no one should be bothered by how or why you walk! The book was fun to read, and now I can give it back to its owner. 


A book about one person's Camino journey

The one peony bush I have is in full bloom these days, and it looks magnificent. I don't cut the blooms, but I leave them outside where I can enjoy them in the gazebo. My Mom had MANY of these plants, as well as dahlias, and we had loads of blooms in the house. 


The peony in bloom





Magnificent colors!!! 


While admiring the peony, I noticed the rose bush blooming as well. I had to take several pictures before I got this one, as Murphy was photobombing in the background with her business, which we all did not need to see! 

The rose bush is also in bloom 


The dogwood is doing well. It never blooms, though —perhaps it is one of those that needs a tree of each gender to bloom. I see those creeping vines are starting to grow up it—time for some intervention!

The dogwood shrub

Does anyone know what this is? This is the first time I have seen "blooms" on it. I can't get closer because it is hanging over the pond, but there are flowers on the shrub. Other than weeding and mulching, my backyard is pretty self-sufficient. We don't water it, and it doesn't get a lot of TLC, except pruning in the spring and fall. Most of the vegetation has been there since we moved in. 

What is this tree? 

I got two of the class follow-ups out the door, so that was good. One of them required finding samples and taking pictures, which takes time. When I look back at my day, I didn't seem to get much done, but digging out samples is a time-consuming job. I need to find a better way to arrange them or, once and for all, get all the pictures and store them so I can find them. That would be ideal! 

If you have some spare time this afternoon, be sure to pop over to Facebook and watch my Facebook Live on machine applique. It's going to be loads of fun!! If you can't catch it live, the video should be available next week. Just cut and paste this link below. 


https://www.facebook.com/events/971964474506082


On that note, I'm out of here. I have lots to get done today, and I have another quilt on the long arm, but I'm not sure I'll have time to finish it—it's a big one. 


Have a super day!!!


Ciao!!!1





2 comments:

  1. Looks like a flowering dogwood - cornus Korda

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is Kousa dogwood, or a Japanese dogwood. Cornus kousa

    ReplyDelete