Sunday, June 9, 2024

A slight detour

Oh, so help me now! I took a wee detour yesterday, and it was fun! I was supposed to be quilting a quilt and continuing to work on putting Studio B back in order. But this happened instead. 

Today, we have two sessions: Machine Embroidery and our Many Blocks projects. As of yesterday morning, I had nothing to share with either group. And while I get it that we're all busy, I like to have some to share (it sets an excellent example for the group!) So, I was off!!! It was a total tangent, but it needed to be done. And I needed a new sample for Quilt Canada. 

The next thing I knew, a basket of Christmas fabric was on the floor and I was rifling through it to find just the right prints. 

Searching through the Christmas fabrics


Then, I needed some background fabric for the project, so I got out the whites. It never ceases to amaze me how different all the whites are. 


A variety of white prints

While you can't see it in that photo, those are all white, but varying shades of white. UNTIL I put the ULTRA white next to them below. Again, you can't really appreciate the color difference, but those two new ones I added are very white. 

The ultra-white makes the others look cream


I found one piece of fabric large enough for all the backgrounds, and everything else got put away. Some of the Christmas fabric is still sitting out, and I may just forge ahead and cut out all the bits I need (on the digital cutter—easy as pie!), and then I can put that all away. The bits of cutting I did yesterday restored my faith in using a digital cutter for applique. 

It's one thing to know how to do something and then try to push the limits and quite another to just cut for the fun of it. I need to do more of "just for fun" because I had zero issues and I learned something new! 

Then, I had to pull fabric for the sample for Quilt Canada. I've been tasked with making a reading pillow, so I changed it up a bit! Wait until you see what I did! I pushed the technology a bit to make the first part, and I learned something! I'll share it after I share it with the groups. 

Fabric for the reading pillow


I needed something else to help tidy up Studio B. Well, it wasn't really to tidy it up, but it concerns that big metal shelf I purchased a while back. I wanted some hooks. So I ordered them from Uline, which has a super large distribution center not far from me. It was cheaper (time and money) to pay the $9 to have it shipped to me. 

My package from Uline


When I grabbed the box, I was a bit surprised at how much it weighed. AH—that's because they put a PRINT CATALOGUE in there. 


A print catalogue


Why would they do that when they have a perfectly good website? What am I going to do with it? I feel like driving it back to them and saying - No, thank you!!! Plus, I will return one of the items I bought and get a second item of the first. I wonder how difficult that will be? 

Will you look at the size of that box? Here are the two items (very small) that came in it. 


A HUGE box to ship two small items


The pictures I took of the hooks didn't come out well, so I'm going to retake them today, and OH MY—this is super exciting. Those hooks are EXACTLY what I needed!!!! 

The packing process for Quilt Canada has started. The suitcase and some of the samples are out, but I need to make some labels, and I need to get to Staples before I can do that. I can't even start typing them out as I need a template and am not sure which template I need. Oh wait—I'm supposed to go through my office supply cabinet first. I had better do that today.


Packing for Quilt Canada


I dread going through there - I'll take a picture first. Let's say someone LOVES office supplies, and the cabinet is crammed. It's probably filled with TONS and TONS of journals and notebooks. I use them, but I'll never use as many as are in that cabinet. And interspersed are some office supplies. See -- all the office supply stuff is together, so now it'll be easy to eliminate what I won't need. I still have pockets like that in the house. I'm getting there. 

Last night, DH wanted to watch a movie. I am not good with movies at the best of times. I have a zero attention span, and what the heck am I supposed to do sitting down for THREE hours? GASP!!! I don't think I lasted an hour, and he was probably glad when I left. 

I invited Miss Murphy onto the sofa, so all four of us had a spot. She is such a goof, but she didn't last long because she gets hot and has to lie on the floor, where it's much cooler. 


Hanging out with Murphy on the sofa


And my embroidery machine was working, and I kept an eye on the progress from my phone. 

Stitching progress


Oh, how I wished I had a START button on that app, which would have just started the next color since I decided to do the design all in the same color! So, he was happy when I was gone! And so was I!!! I don't think I understood one word about the movie—Dune 2, I think it was. I'm sorry—if it's not high action, I have zero interest in it! And not at night. 

You can't really tell in this photo, but the place is a mess. There are boxes on the floor and a sewing machine. I'll get there. 

A tad messy!


It's funny about Lexi and her food. When Bear was here, and he'd help himself to her food, she didn't care. But ever since those ants got in there? Oh boy -- she doesn't let it sit!! Thanks for the tips and comments on the ants. I haven't seen them since, but I watch for them. I wonder why they were attracted to her food? I do have much sweeter stuff in the cupboard, but not really, come to think of it. 


MOM - I'm not letting those ants back in my dish!


I have to say that I'm in love with my new utensil drawer. While I threw stuff in before, I now put the things back in the appropriate spot. And it's so much fun when I need a spatula to pull open the drawer, and all of them are right there - no more shuffling to find one. Yep -- being organized takes some work, but afterward. I LOVE IT!!!

The utensil drawer is FABULOUS


This small task didn't take long, but it was so worth it. And the rest of the house is getting there. I'm so excited - I just wish I had the mindset to do this years ago, but I didn't, so let's move on and enjoy the organization now!

I'm unsure if I shared this with you, I had been looking for the post with the corner template for making cushions. Here's the link where you can see the template. As soon as the laser cutters at the library are cutting acrylic (no ventilation system yet), I'll be making an acrylic one of these. You have to scroll down to see it. 


And on that note, I'm out of here!! 

It's going to be a busy afternoon, and I can't waste a minute!

Have a super day!!!

Ciao!!!




































No comments:

Post a Comment