Wednesday, June 5, 2024

This is why I like to shop local

I haven't had a chance to check out that video on the wonky quilt yet. I hope to do that today. 

I had a Zoom in the morning and also had to check the equipment for my upcoming Facebook Live tomorrow. It's on Applique and on the PFAFF page. The microphone I want to use isn't working, and this story is why I LOVE to shop locally and in person. I seem to be missing a cable. I've used this configuration in the past, but used earbuds instead and I have to say I'm not thrilled with these new earbuds. I need to test to determine whether they need to be returned. I love their battery life, but they don't always work as headphones and a mic. 

I had a quick glance online at new mics (just in case I needed a new one), and then I hopped in the car and went to Henry's, a camera shop. I have bought many things at Henry's, and they are close by. I always start there when I need something specific. I go to the Oakville store, which is near to my home. 

I hit the mother lode as I pulled out my equipment, and the staff person knew exactly what I had and how to use it! We had a great conversation about my setup, and all I needed was a microphone cable to hook the microphone to the switch box. AHA—that switch box I use is pretty tricky. That visit cost me $12. I would never have gotten that kind of service from any online store or general big-box store. 

Then we discussed options if I wanted a new mic. The boom mic I'm using is big, and technically, I gave it to DH for use at his computer desk. So I have an option for the future. I didn't buy it yesterday, but I may go back because my mic on those earbuds isn't always reliable. 

So this is why I'll continue to buy local rather than online! 


Besides the equipment check, I had one Zoom, and then the day was mine, but I didn't accomplish much. I puttered but didn't get any serious work done. Today I have to assemble all the things for my Facebook Live tomorrow; I also need to get some of those niggling little things out of the way. 

I managed to quilt another quilt for Quilts of Valour. I'll trim that, and then I have TWO bindings to do. I do not want to leave that until the pile becomes unmanageable, so I must stay on top of that. 

Quilts of Valour quilt - DONE


I have a few more customer quilts to work on, alternating between theirs and mine. That's my focus for June, and then I hope to spend some time in July working on quilts for community projects. It's time to make a dent in that pile. 

I have three pouches—call them fanny packs, waist pouches, or whatever you want, but here are two of them. While I have my nice Michael Kors purse, I never use it. It stores all the things I potentially want in a purse, but I never use it. 

The orange one is my driving pouch and carries the car key and insurance. I throw my cards in there when I use it. The other one is the walking pouch, and I use it when I walk the dogs since I don't have pockets these days with no jacket. It's large enough for my phone, and if I go shopping on foot, I can throw my cards in there. 

Pouches to carry things

I have a third one that I use when hiking. It's similar to the black one but a bit larger, so my passport fits in. I LOVE these pouches. They're super handy when shopping or walking, and I certainly do NOT need to carry a purse. I could never understand the concept of carrying a whole bunch of stuff in a bag wherever I go. Why do I need all that? 

Finding the right pouches took a long time, but now that I have found a solution, I wouldn't part with them for a million dollars! None of them are huge, and I have them under a sweatshirt/jacket, and no one would even know it's there. 


So here are some pictures of my girls that show how silly they can be. While I was having a quick nap and a good read in the gazebo yesterday, Miss Lexi was tucked UNDER the gazebo and happy as could be. 


MOM -- I need a little quiet time! 

I don't understand how she gets in and out from there, and I used to be afraid she would get stuck, but she seems to have no issues. 

On the other hand, Murphy is like a bull in a china shop. This is why I wonder how our backyard flowers find time to grow. 

Mom - just pretending I'm out in the meadow!


Yep -- that's smack in the middle of a bed of irises. At least she's not lying down, which she loves to do when the plants aren't quite so big. Oh, Murphy!!

I was sitting outside last night, and a few bugs started to come out, so I came into the house. I left the screen door open by about 6 inches so the girls could still come and go. I just sat down in the living room when I could hear Lexi whining at the door. You have to be kidding me!!!!

Someone help me - I've been locked outside!! 

That girl is such a princess! She can't open the door a smidgen wider and come in. Oh no -- someone has to do that for her!

Murphy would barge right in and push the door aside. One of our other "smart" dogs learned a two-step process to open the door. If the screen was completely shut, she would touch the opposite edge of the door to nudge open a crack on the other side. Then she got her hose in the crack and widened the opening. Smart dog! 

When they were repairing the water in the backyard, the screen door was completely open at one point, which wasn't good enough for Murphy. She sat at the door and whined. Not because the opening wasn't large enough, but because she wanted someone to play with her, and she didn't like that someone was outside and not paying her attention! 


MOM -- come out and play!!


Oh, Murphy!!!


OK -- I have a list of things to get done today and I'd better get some focus happening here. I still haven't sent any class follow-ups for weeks and that must be done! 

I'm off to the gym, but I think I'll do my own thing. I seem to have a pulled muscle in my leg, so I will take it easy. I have a feeling that my issues with my leg and lower back are related to very tight muscles. So, I'm making an effort to stretch very often, and perhaps I overdid one of those stretches! 

Have a super day!!!

Ciao!!













No comments:

Post a Comment