Tuesday, June 25, 2024

Slow and steady wins the race

FREEDOM!!!

OK -- so I'm not entirely off the hook as I have urgent paperwork to do this morning, but I spent most of yesterday just puttering and doing what I wanted, and it felt glorious! 

I am determined to keep things under control - OK - until the next crisis hits, but if I keep myself organized, those deadlines shouldn't be an issue? Perhaps I'm deluding myself. That's OK - I can live in a dream world. 

But the biggest issue for me is keeping the space clear. Why is that so hard? I seem to need a table, which is a total disaster. I aim to work on this table until nothing is left on it. I must NOT add anything to the table unless it's absolutely necessary. 


My goal is to clear this table


I took everything off the sewing tables (there wasn't much) and the other table, where there were a few projects to be cut, and put everything on ONE table. Everything else is clear. Project by project, I must find a home, complete it, or move it along to the "to be quilted" pile. 

I can only imagine how long this will take me—probably months! But I was working on it yesterday and accomplished a few things, so it's all good. 

I decided I needed to get those bindings on the community project quilts. 

I got one binding on. 

Binding number one


Then I got the second binding on. 

Binding number two


And I finished the third binding this morning. 

Binding number three


Yeah -- that feels great because those three quilts took up a lot of room. They will reside near the "to be quilted" pile on this quilt rack. 

Completed community project quilts


When I have ten done, I'll arrange delivery. This morning, I trimmed one more quilt, and I'll put the binding on it later today. 

I purchased a pair of children's shorts and wanted to dress them up using a decorative stitch. I had already added a stitch but wasn't happy with it, so I ripped the stitching out and redid it with a matching bobbin thread. 


Decorated child's shorts


This is what it looks like, and I'm much happier. I need to do it right the first time so I don't have to backtrack and redo my work, but I'm so happy to putter that I don't care. Adding decorative stitching to anything is so easy, but I think it's best to use a matching bobbin. I don't know why I didn't in the first place. 

The decorative stitches

We got a notification last week that our power will be out for several hours tomorrow morning. So - no paperwork and no sewing. I'm trying to figure out what to do with no electricity. As if that was a problem. I looked around Studio B and decided that these four bags of crap need to be sorted. 

Four bags of scraps to sort


Many years ago, I had this brilliant idea of collecting scraps and making pet mats. It wasn't enough that I had my own scraps, but I also wanted other people's. I do not know where these "brilliant" ideas came from. I ended up with boxes and bags of scraps that consumed a considerable space in my house. The bags and boxes were initially stored under the long arm, then moved to the cold room under the front steps. But I did deal with them, or should I say I dealt with everything but these four bags. 

I have two of them set aside. I'll bring them up tomorrow, put them in the kitchen, and start sorting. I might have to make more bags to put the scraps in for the pet mats, so I might do that today. It would be nice to get rid of these last bags. And then NOTHING will go in that corner—it'll be empty. 

I also decided that I could trim half-square triangles, and I have a small container of them on the ironing board that needs to be pressed and trimmed. 

HSTs that need to be pressed and trimmed


So I pressed a number of them yesterday, and I can bring those up and trim them as well. Yep - with no lights, it will be hard to work downstairs. 


HSTs waiting to be trimmed


That's plenty to trim in one day, so the rest will wait for later. There's no rush. 

I also prepped another project that requires half-square triangles, and that is all cut. I'll sew the HSTs today so I can trim them tomorrow. Again, with all my scraps sorted by color, it was easy to find what I wanted. There was loads of room on the cutting mat, and once I got what I needed, everything returned to its respective home. 

Cutting



While half of the cutting table has always been clear - more or less, the entire table is now clear, which is exciting. 


Another project is ready to sew


Having that space as clean and tidy as it is is perfect for me. I must say that I'm swiffering, vacuuming, and mopping. What is wrong with me? I've become obsessive!!! 

But I'm OK with that. I know it won't stay as neat and tidy as it is, although I hope to get that table top down to nothing. But part of that mess is trying to clean up more odds and ends, so once that is done, there shouldn't be anything huge that goes on that table. 

I know there will be times when I'm inundated with work on multiple projects at once, but for the moment, I'm going to enjoy the moment and the space and try my best to learn some new habits!!


I see we now have scooters for rent in our neighborhood! I told DH he should take one to the train in the morning, but I doubt that will ever happen.

Scooters for rent



I love checking my calendar and seeing NOTHING on it! How fun is that? However, I have loads to do but no time commitments. I'll be quilting today and trying to make a dent in that pile of stuff on that table. Wish me luck! Getting it done will be a slow and steady slog, but I can do it! I feel very motivated and can't wait for the day when I don't have this stupid backlog of almost-finished projects. I've made giant leaps and bounds in correcting that bad habit, and I figure it will take me a little more discipline to kill it!

I've got an excellent audiobook to listen to and Murphy to entertain me, and I'm good to go!!

So --- let me ask you how you are doing? I know this can be one of the most boring things in the world. We all have loads of stuff to clean up, but it's tedious, lengthy, and overwhelming, especially if you're just starting. But I've learned to jump in and do one small thing daily. Learn to say NO to new things, and learn to say YES to get rid of things, and you'll be amazed at how much easier it gets the more you do!!

OH -- I used to come home from any trade show with tons of crap to deal with. Papers, stickers, patterns, fabric, or whatever. I'm happy to report that I brought barely anything home, and it's all gone! I found a home for it all, even if it meant going in the recycling or the garbage. 

On that happy note, I have most of the day to spend on what I want to do once I get that little bit of urgent paperwork dealt with! 

Have a super day!!!

Ciao!!!
















































1 comment:

  1. YAY! You have only 1 cluttered table. Like the 1 kitchen junk drawer, it makes studio B more welcoming. And 3 bindings done already and another later? Fantastic! I have no doubt you'll work your way through 'Mount Projects' !!!

    I decided June is for tackling little bits in my studio. These things never start with a plan. They start with random stitching until the bits are gone and then they have to "speak to me" for design. I have been shuffling 3 small bins for many years and the largest is 6x6x4. One contained 70 pinwheels measuring 2" and 2 1/4". (Yes, I am obsessed with HSTs and I don't care for large piecing but even for me, these were small). I pulled contrasting fabric from stash and turned them into 14 framed 9p. Then I pulled a novelty, set them on point, did some funky framing borders and voila! Twin size kiddo quilt !

    I am now working on the 2nd "little bit" box. Again, many HSTs fully trimmed but a bit bigger. This quilt will be 6inch 9p. Once all the bits are stitched up I can determine setting.

    Happy Tuesday :-)

    ReplyDelete