Friday, June 21, 2024

The 11th anniversary

So, while it was a fantastic day at Quilt Canada, I have something to share that was even more amazing. 

TODAY is the day eleven years ago that I and 23 other brave souls set out from UBC (the totem pole park) to ride our bicycles across Canada. We were accompanied by Adam, our fearless young driver, with whom I stayed in touch. He was amazing, already with a quip when the going got tough, and there to support 1000%. When asked a question, his favorite saying was, " It's on the whiteboard!"

I did not know anyone before leaving on the trip, and while I had done some long-distance cycling, the most I had done was three-week trips in 2010, 2011, and 2012. This was the year to do something crazy and go for ten weeks. 

I was fortunate to meet Neil, who became my riding partner for the trip. We rode together, more or less, every day, through the good and the bad. We just seemed to click. 

Neil's wife, Susan, was there at the beginning, the end, and one stop in the way as we rode through their home province of Alberta. I've remained in touch with Neil through Facebook and am always in awe of his fantastic photography. His photos are absolutely stunning. 

I was so engrossed in making Quilt Canada samples that I forgot about Neil living in the Edmonton area, so he contacted me. Could we meet? OH MY—YES!!!!!

So the three of us went out for dinner last night, and it was like those eleven years had never existed. He brought some photos along on his phone, and it was fun to browse through them. OH MY -- I had quite the tan at the end of that trip. Gosh -- I feel teary-eyed as I think back about that trip!

Here's a photo of us on the eve of our big adventure. 



Me and Neil on the eve of our big adventure

Did you notice what's in my hand? A Corona!!!

Here's a picture of us last evening after dinner. 

Neil and I - eleven years later

Yep, I had a Corona last night. We should have tried to recreate that first photo, but we only thought of it once we were outside the restaurant. 

Thank you to Neil and Susan -- it was a wonderful evening, and I enjoyed every minute of it. WOW --- so many memories - I can't wait to return home and review my photos. YES -- those photos were on that hard disk that I paid gobs to recover. I'm so glad I coughed up the cash!

I need to be more responsible with precious memories like that, and they really need to be in a book so I can look at them when I'm in the nursing home and can't remember a thing. At least when people come to visit, we can talk about my book!

OK—I have no idea what's going on this trip, but my hotel room is a disaster. I'm usually very neat, packing things into my bags before leaving for the day. I always have a "do not disturb" sign on my door—I do not need my bed made daily, and I certainly do not need fresh towels. 

This time, my room looks like a very untidy person is living here. Here's just part of the mess. 


The debris in my room

I'll try to tidy up a little later, but there's no need. I just don't want to leave anything behind, so I'll put a few things away that I won't need. But since I pack so sparingly, I bet I'll need most of what I have. 

Claire and I went for a walk in the morning and found a pedestrian walkway under the public transit bridge. 

The pedestrian walkway under the transit bridge

Then we ended up downtown, going to find Tim's for breakfast. Along the way, we passed this sign: Tonight, it's going to be insane in the downtown area. 


Look how little I am!!!!



Then, we made it to the convention center to help thread machines and set them up for a couple of classes. I then went up to the booth, where I grabbed one shot of the PFAFF booth and spent the day. 

The PFAFF booth


People were enthralled with my rope bowl making—so much so that I had zero chance to sew any more on the unfinished one. I didn't even get a chance to get my thread out!

But I met up with some fantastic people. A HUGE SHOUT OUT to those who read the blog and stopped to say HI!!! I may not know you, but I appreciate you following along! And YES -- the dogs are taking over. Everyone loves Murphy and Lexi. OK -- let's be honest, Murphy is doing a considerable share of the entertaining when it comes to the dogs! Lexi had better step up her game if she wants to be part of it! Just kidding, Lexi, we love you, and you are my sweet girl!!! 

Lots of people I knew stopped by to say hi. I have never met some of them in person, but I know them quite well from Zoom! It's pretty funny since some of them live close to me, but we had to travel to Edmonton to meet in person! 

I've met up with other people I met on Zoom but have previously met in person, and then I have the gaggle of friends from home that I have known in person for many years. 

There are just so many people! I love you all, and thanks for being a part of my life! I couldn't be who I am without you! I think we take a little bit from everyone we meet but also give in return. That's what friendship is all about - giving and taking! 

So yes -- if you are at the show, stop by and say HI!!!

The last amazing thing yesterday was the daily door prize donated by PFAFF. This is our top-of-the-line sewing machine (creative icon), and let's just say that it's an excellent price. Well, the young lady on the right is the lucky winner. She is a wonderful person, and I had the pleasure of walking her through a demo of the machine and what it can do. Her mother was with her. 


Pam with the door prize winner


I love that she was thrilled and saw how old she is!!! She said she's not as young as we think, but I said - we were old enough to be her mother - that makes her young! She and her mother went home thrilled to bits. I was so excited for her. 

Well, that's just too much excitement in one day. Today will be a bit quieter, and I hope to get out a little bit and check out some quilts or some of the vendors. I know—I must be diligent as I do NOT have a lot of room—weight-wise or space-wise. I never got out of the booth until lunch at 2 p.m. and didn't see any vendors or quilts. Not seeing the vendors was probably a good thing! 

It's time to get moving so I can be ready for a walk this morning. 


Have a super day!!!


Ciao!!!!




 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are having a great time with reunions and sewing.

    ReplyDelete