Tuesday, June 11, 2024

The lightbulb moment in decluttering

Oh my gosh—someone posted a comment that they had to BUY scratch pads to make lists, etc. I wish I was closer because they would NEVER have to buy another scratch pad again!

I didn't get a chance to call the school yesterday, but first thing this morning! 

While I was in the mood, and on a high from the previous day's success, I decided to tackle more stuff in the office. 

I grabbed one of the shelf supports from the supply bag and fixed that shelf. While it's not the same type as what is in the cabinet, it works. 



The new support

The other supports


I bet you are wondering why that shelf held up when all the shelves were used. AHA—that's because there was so much stuff on the shelf below that it supported the shelf above! 

Then I looked for something to put on that empty shelf. I decided to put all my EQ8 stuff there. 



EQ8 books on the previously empty shelf


That freed up a spot on the table! WOW --- I should just keep going here! 


An empty spot on the table



So I grabbed two baskets of PAPER and decided to deal with them. 


My job for the day


I did a bit of sorting, and some stuff got put away, and some got recycled, and I was able to consolidate both baskets into the larger one. It's a start. However, I went to bed thinking about what to do with all that paper—most of which I really do not need. But I'm resisting!!

Then about midnight, when the niggling woke me up, I made a promise. I do NOT need all those photocopied quilt patterns in the basket. When will I make them? Do I need them? And the answer is a resounding NO.

So, I'm going to take that wire basket AGAIN and remove all the quilt pattern stuff. There is ONE pattern that I really want to keep, but the rest will go into the printer paper box. We recycle paper for printing. Gosh, I remember someone having a cute acronym for that, and I think it was GOOS or something like that, which stands for Good On One Side. 

With some consolidation and moving around, the tabletop looks like this. 

Look at the table!!!



I know that many of you are cheering me on in the background, and you probably ask yourself, why doesn't she just throw all that stuff away or file it or whatever. I couldn't do that until I wrapped my head around the fact that most of what is there should be thrown away. I knew it but didn't believe it in my heart or my head. Those quilt patterns were photocopied (gasp!) at least 8 - 10 years ago. I'll never make them if I haven't made them by now. That was the lightbulb moment in decluttering the office! It took forever for me to get there, but I'm there!

Just that realization alone may end up emptying out huge parts of the office. And maybe that's what I'll focus on. Then I can find the next paper category and work on that. I can't just throw willy-nilly. It's not in my nature, so I'm working my head around it, and I'm getting there. Once I make more of these types of decisions, the rest should be easy! 

Sometimes, it's just super overwhelming, and we need to bite off chunks at a time. 

I had forgotten to mention that there is a new issue of A Needle Pulling Thread, and it's all about postcards!!!  

Issue 66 - A Needle Pulling Thread



The issue includes several of my postcards, as well as some basic instructions on making them, ideas for storage, making the backs, etc. Check it out. You can buy a digital copy or a hard copy. It has lots of fun ideas, and postcards are great for trying out new techniques, as they're not huge!!

My spread of postcards in the issue



There is also a new issue of QUILTsocial that you can download.  Download the latest issue if you want some great articles on the Pfaff creation icon 2, the Husqvarna Viking Designer Epic 3, and some excellent scrap quilt ideas. These are reprints of some of the blog posts. 

While I was in the office, I also tackled the top of that cabinet. I left the box of printer paper on top as it's easy to access and looks OK sitting up there. That is the box of good on both sides! I was going to keep the larger sheets of paper and a large sketchbook, but they did NOT fit INSIDE the cabinet, so they went into the giveaway pile! I'm so PROUD of myself for not even entertaining finding a new home for them. They are gone!!!

The cabinet is CLEAR! 


When we need to downsize, many more decisions will have to be made, and I might not be as physically able as I am now. I last used those items a few years ago (or, in some instances - never!), so let's do myself a favor and get rid of them now! I LOVE the benefit of living in a clutter-free home, which makes my brain function better and looks much more physically appealing. Plus, it's easy to move around and find homes for things, and well - I can't talk enough about the benefits of decluttering. But, it's hard work and doesn't happen overnight, as I've experienced. 

Then I did a little shuffling on the desktop, and there is also some space on it. 

Clean space on the desktop


Most of what's on that surface is junk! Items have accumulated over time, and no one knows what to do with them, so it fell on me to find a home for them. I did not do that, and then it became clutter. I will try to focus on the paper, and then I'll move on to the junk! 

You know how we were always told to set goals in life? It gives us something to look forward to and hopefully helps us focus. As you set the plan for each day, you ask yourself, "What do I want to accomplish today?" We have goals for one year, five years, etc. 

So, I'm looking at the decluttering in the same way. When I look at something, do I want to look at that same item again in 5 years? I've already looked at some of it for over 25. So the answer is NO. Unless I'm using it, I don't want it. But it's hard - like letting go of those quilt patterns, but I'm letting go. I have MANY quilt patterns downstairs. I'm confident I'll find one if I want to make a new quilt. OR there are oodles of patterns in the magazines I have, or online. I do NOT need to store paper copies. Off with their heads!!! 

I'm so excited about that new freedom that I think the girls and I will be running on the walk this morning. OK, who am I kidding? That is not going to happen!!!


Speaking of the girls, I walked Lexi through the park yesterday, and this is her reaction to that park bench. She would NEVER jump up there - that is beneath her!

MOM -- I refuse to jump - I'm a lady!



And when I caved and gave them a bone yesterday as a treat, Lexi retreated to this sisal mat. 

The urban dog


Murphy was outside with half her butt in the dirt. 

The country dog



Remember that spoon from Eaton's? What to do with it? So I stuck it in the drawer, and guess what? I use that spoon almost every day. I grab the first one, and because it feels different from the others, I grab it! I'm glad I kept it! 

I use this spoon all the time! 



If you are wondering about the spices, the drawer is complete and looks fantastic. The excess spices are in labeled baggies behind the jars.

The spice drawer



Oh, speaking of drawers, someone sent me this, and I had a great laugh. Isn't this hilarious? Thanks for the laugh, Cathy!






I live in the sixth-largest city in Canada, with just under 720,000 people according to the 2021 census. Yesterday was election day for a new mayor. 


Voting day!!!


The voter turnout was a paltry 25.71% of eligible voters. Do people not care? Do they think their one vote doesn't make a difference? What is scary is that women have been able to vote in Canada only in the last 100 years. In some provinces, it wasn't until 1951 that they had the right to vote. Many women fought long and hard to gain that political freedom. 

I bet there would be a huge uproar if the right to vote were taken away. So if you have the right and the freedom to vote, why don't more people exercise that right? I don't get it! 

Anyway, I'm super excited today. I want to see how much paper I can eliminate. I have a quilt ready to be quilted and a few other small jobs that I'd like to get done!! So, it will be a jam-packed day, and I can't wait to start. 

Girls - get your running gear on!!!

Have a super day!!!

Ciao!!!!




























1 comment:

  1. I'm with you on "have to look at every item before tossing". Never know if it's important if it wasn't properly filed in the "keep system".

    VOTING: AGREED! In the US turnout is bad as well. I am in a horrifically conservative state where every dissatisfied person should vote but still don't. And a country where women are losing rights one after the other. Grrrrrrrrr

    I worked in healthcare for 4 decades. We had a box for one-sided paper. If there was no patient information, we recycled it and those of us who wanted to, could bring a stack home for printing. I still have a bit of that AND when snail mail comes, printed on one side, I use it for scratch paper. Dare I say, there isn't enough of that every week and no, I don't want more snail mail. I simply miss free scratch paper!

    Happy clearing!

    ReplyDelete