Saturday, June 22, 2024

Quilt Canada - Day Two

My throat is parched! Not only is it terribly dry in the convention center, but I've almost talked myself out! Is that even possible? 

So many people have stopped by to say hi, and then we're chatting to others about sewing machines, which is really why I'm here! My aunt and cousin drove here, and I had a quick visit with my aunt. My cousin isn't into sewing, so she went shopping for other things! 

I was on my own for the morning walk, and I walked across the pedestrian bridge again but turned in a different direction than the previous day. I was watching the clock, as I had to be back, so it was perfect timing when I reached what looked like a long, steep hill—it was time to turn around! 

Long, steep hill! 


This is part of the Trans Canada Trail. I've walked parts of it in several provinces but wonder if I've walked any of it through Ontario. Come to think of it, I'm not sure where it goes in Ontario. AH—it looks like it follows the lake shore, which isn't that far from me, but it's not a place where I walk. 


The Trans Canada Trail


I meant to mention the other day that the lilacs are out! Even if you focus on other things and don't see them, you can smell them. Ours have been done for a while, but then we are much further north here and definitely in a different growing season. 


The lilacs are in bloom

When I arrived at the Convention Center and was going to take the escalator to get back up the hill, the door was locked! ACK!!! OK, so I can walk back to the outdoor stairs where the funicular is. I knew it opened at 7, and it was only about 6:30. 

Then I spotted a set of stairs on the other side of the convention center, and I decided to be a risk taker since I wasn't sure I could get all the way to the street. So it wasn't a surprise when I got close to the top and spotted this sign. 


NO ACCESS to Jasper Street


In case you can't read that, it says NO ACCESS to Japser Street. So I had to go back down, walk to the other step, and then back up. But you would think they would say that at the bottom of the steps, not near the top. That was cruel!!!

I had to chuckle at the staircase beside the funicular. One person was pushing his bike up the rail on the stairs, meant for that purpose, and then someone else was walking up. Both of them were in front of me. Two people were sitting at the top of the stairs, and I had a feeling that the young girl had had quite the party night. So she's yelling encouragement as the three of us progress up. As each person reached the top, her comments moved to the next person. 

So when she shouted, "Come on, granny," to me, I almost choked! But then she said, "Auntie," which is a term of endearment for the indigenous people, so I hope granny is as well. I power-walked up those stairs, and my heart was pounding when I reached the top. 

I trooped off to Tim's only to find it was closed! ACK!!! It didn't open until 7 AM, so I waited almost ten minutes. Each morning since we arrived, the morning temperature has been warmer, and even before I reached the stairs, with my power walk pace, I had my flannel shirt off. 

I sponsored one of the youth challenge participants, Shay. She was at the show yesterday, so I got this picture of her and me beside her quilt. She won the prize for the online voting in her category. They will be awarding the prize for the in-person viewers' choice today, and I have my fingers crossed for her. Way to go, Shay!!!!


Myself and Shay with her quilt

I want to shout out to some of the quilters of Mississauga—I hope I don't miss anyone—Heather B, Heather P + Steve, Jane S, Cheryl, Mary Ann (who sadly passed away this past year), Jane C (not from Mississauga), and, on my gosh, who else? Some of those people have moved away from Mississauga, but over the years, they have become faithful volunteers at Quilt Canada, looking after the Trentex Challenge, the youth Challenge. They have become a fixture at the quilt show. I was in tears as I read their beautiful tribute in the Trendtex booth for Mary Ann. 

I want to say THANK YOU for all you do. You really are an asset to the Canadian Quilter's Association. I wish I had the time to commit to the same level that they do. And we do NOT thank people enough for all they do. If I have forgotten any of that group, please forgive me, but let me know so I can add their name to that list. 

It was a steady day of visitors to the booth, and everyone was having a look at the items that I made from the clothesline. I may have to make some more when I get home, as I have a "bit" of that cord, and it would be nice to use it up. 

I've created a few embroideries I can use when I get home, but I haven't done anything on the items I brought. I knew that I wouldn't, so I'm not sure why I threw them in my bag. I just don't want to get involved in something when there are many interruptions during the day. I have ONE thing I would like to do today, and it'll take just a few minutes, so I must get that done. 

I managed to get out of the booth and looked at the Trendtex challenge pieces. There are some fantastic pieces; people are so darn creative with five fabrics. I'm always in awe. I bid on a few as I need to add to my Trendtex collection. The bidding closes at 2 PM today, so I'll walk over there and check it out at about 1 PM. 

I stepped into the Emmaline booth, which is just beside us. Hmm—there are a few things that I may bring home with me. I'm OK with buying something I don't have, but I refuse to buy more cotton, and I've decided I do not need more thread. But faux leather that feels as soft as butter? I don't have that!

We sat outside on the patio for dinner last night, and there was a section that was closed for a private party so we could watch the hockey game from a distance. It was relatively quiet, which was good; I didn't need more noise after all we experienced at the show. I'm sure the crowds were going crazy on the other side of the hotel, near Roger's Place, where the game was being held. 

Relatively quiet on the patio

There is one game to go, and who will win? 

When I got back to my hotel room, I tidied up. Good grief—I've never been this messy, so the things I don't need are back in my suitcase. The desktop is pretty clear, and it won't take long to finish packing up things tonight because we have an early morning flight. Let's pray that there are no delays or cancellations. I know some are heading home on that early flight today, and they got notifications of potential disruptions because of thunderstorms. 

I hope to get out early this morning to check out the quilts and take pictures of some of them for our Monday sewing. I've been helping people thread their machines for the classes in the morning, so that has consumed some of my time, but today is the last day—I must get out!! 

I feel highly motivated to get back to the sewing machine. I think there are nine Zooms (most of which will not require a lot of work on my part), and I'm able to shut down for a couple of months, which I'm looking forward to. There'll be a lot of ME time where I can work on whatever I want, and as I mentioned, I feel very motivated to get something done. Let's see how that goes!!!

Hopefully, everyone is still opening and cleaning out drawers. Just because I'm not home doesn't allow you to slack off!! LOL. It's tough to keep cleaning and tidying, but we must get it done, and I'll tackle some areas when I get home. I hope to tackle those last piles of UFOs sitting out, and I might leave the drawers for the fall. I NEED to get everything off the tables, once and for all, and the next three weeks will be my chance to do that. You'll get before and after pictures, and I want them done! How hard can that be? A few customer quilts need to be done as well, but while I'm babysitting the long arn, I can be cutting binding or whatever. 

Two things to note: There is a Virtual Retreat next weekend, so we can get together and have loads of fun! Stop in (the links will be posted later this week). Second, I'm not sure there'll be a blog post tomorrow. We have an early morning flight, so there won't be a post unless I write it before I go to bed. 

On that note, I'm out of here. I'm meeting Claire for the morning walk, and then we need to get to the convention center to thread machines, upstairs to take pictures, and then into the booth for 9:30!!!

Have a super day!!!


Ciao!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment