Saturday, January 21, 2012

Am I being lazy or helping someone keep their job???






Haven't you wondered sometimes - I could easily do that myself, but if I pay someone - then I get more time for me and it keeps someone else busy???

Well I have a routine - get up - do some sewing - walk the dogs - have breakfast and while having breakfast, I check e-mail, Facebook and the library!  Now - why the library you ask????   Well - I do have a lot of books out at any given time and I try to keep on top of what books are on hold for me, what books are coming due (and therefore I need to read them), getting the books I want to read on the appropriate lists, etc.

So this morning after entering the book I finished yesterday into my COLLECTORZ database (I love that database - there is one change I wish we could make - I will send them a note). Anyway as I was entering the data into the system, I noticed that this one book I requested two days ago from the library  - well I have already read it. For some reason - I checked my old paper list, BUT did not check the electronic list - now why would I do that I wonder?????   Anyway - into the library system - nope - too late to cancel the book - it is already IN TRANSIT. OK - I'll pick it up and then return it. But I did see the NEXT book in the series and it happens to be at my library. So should I go pick it up or should I request "next available" and then a library person can go and pick it off the shelf????   Well - I could get it off the shelf myself - but then I would have to make a note and remember to go there. SOOOOOO - I requested "next available" item and the system will tell me when someone has picked it for me. Isn't that bad????????

So I just finished reading The Christmas Quilt by Jennifer Chiaverini. Yes - so I am a bit behind in reading the series. This one was from 2005 I think. I was a tad disappointed by this book - although it did cover some new material - I found a lot of it I already knew. If you have never read these books - let me explain. There are the main characters and you follow their lives in the books, but I think Jennifer has written a couple of "extra" books. These focus on the history of the family and most of the books are flashbacks. I just found that a lot of the flashbacks in this book had already been touched upon. Not too worry - it was still a good book - an easy read (in LARGE PRINT no less).


Well - what did I get accomplished yesterday???????


Not only did I get the binding and the backing made for this table runner

BUT I also made the table runner. OK - so I had it cut out already to go. The pattern is Lucky Stars by Atkinson. This is a an amazing pattern - I just love it - very forgiving. 
 Oh yes - the old me would have said - the top is done, but the NEW ME wants to get it quilted and bound so it doesn't become a UFO when it comes back from the store. It will be a good one to experiment with the quilting. Got to figure something out quick!!!!!

I was hoping to get it quilted and bound as well, but I was tired after dinner and that just didn't happen. It is a class sample and I was going to deliver it today, but I will deliver it on Tuesday instead.


Got another customer quilt DONE


Let's just say that this one has been here for a while. Customer said - whenever and whatever. You remember yesterday when I said it was only TWO small pieces that had prevented me from working on that wall hanging - the Christmas one. Well this quilt was trouble from the get go. The quilt top measured 82 by 114. OK - size isn't a problem HOWEVER when the backing is 96 by 104 - HOUSTON WE HAVE A BIG PROBLEM. I mean do people not check this stuff. And yes - "I" should have checked it when I picked it up from the customer. It wasn't the time or the place to do that. I had spoken to the customer (who doesn't live close) about the backing . Anyway - I admit - I shoved it to the bottom of the pile and there it stayed for a LONG time. I finally decided I had to get rid of this quilt.

Remember also when I said I enjoyed a challenge - well it was time to "enjoy" this challenge. I took a piece off the side of the backing and sewed it to the top so the backing now measured 84 by 116. Which DID NOT give me much space to work with on the long arm.



See what I mean - this is the END of the quilt. Normally you want at least THREE inches between the edge of the quilt (pink in the picture) and the pins. I had to be VERY CAREFUL as I went along and did end up breaking one needle and sewed part of the top to the canvas leader (beige)


Bottom line - it is done!!!!!!!!!    I will trim it, but there is hardly anything to trim - even the batting - it was 115 inches wide so had to be carefully loaded to keep it straight. Like I said - it is DONE!!!!!!!


And then I got myself all cozy in my chair cause I thought I would read. NOPE - too tired for that!!!   Couldn't even eat my snack. That DARN chair.

So you want to see what I bought myself the other day???????    Look at what I found in the grocery store!!!!!! OK - so it was Joe Fresh at Loblaw's.   Are these not perfect or what!!!!!    And of course M (who already has a nice pair of rain boots) wants them. NOPE - these are mine. and they have that nice gusset in the side as well. Good thing because these boots are tall and without the gusset - well I couldn't get them on or off - must remember to where tall socks when I wear them. I find rubber boots are like putting a vacuum sealed bag on your feet - they are HARD to get off. The tall socks help to break the "seal".


New rain boots


I have to admit - it is quiet here this morning. Kaylee went home last night. She is such a cool dog. Jumps around like a kangaroo - gets excited at every little thing and follows you around like the PUPPY she is.

The other funny thing she does is LEAN. She leans on everything - the other night (of course with NO camera in hand), there she is leaning against the kitchen cupboard.


Here is Kaylee - leaning on my leg. She is a touchy feely dog. Perfect for Marian. 

And here are all three girls - fast asleep. Well Sammy appears to be watching me - mater of fact, the ears on the other two are up. They are listening. And yes we let the guest sleep in the big bed!!!!


Last week, I went to a Pampered Chef party. Haven't been to one in years. When the hostess (Laurie) asked if we had any Pampered Chef at home, I named a few things and then got thinking - I have a lot more stuff. I really like it. It is durable, works well and well - I just like it.

Here are a few memorable moments from our day.................



Our host Laurie and the start of the pizza

Some of the ladies totally engrossed in the spiel!

The other half of the room
These are COOL picker up tools. I want those!!!!!   (OK - I wanted everything - and I don't even cook!!!! - but I bet I would if I had the right tools!!!!!)

The YUMMY pizza (oh - it was so good - I bought all the ingredients to make it) 

The start of the potato chips

Ready for the microwave

The cooked chips  - hey I want to make those - they are low cal - no frying - no oil involved

And then a certain someone (who shall remain nameless) and I blotted out the other face to protect the innocent!!!!  got a hold of a bottle of wine and then the day went downhill from there!!!!!!




Actually we had a GREAT DAY - it was a great party and Laurie (her first time hosting) did a great job. If she can do a party with the Monday Motivators - she can do a party for anyone. These Monday girls are VERY unruly!!!!!   Thanks for hosting FLO!!!!!!

Now I have to pick through the catalogue and pick what I want to buy. I want it all, but I can't have it all. But I want it all!!!!


On that note - I see time is ticking away and I need to get ready for a class I am teaching today - miniature quilts. Should be a fun day.


Have a great day!!!!!


Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment