Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Its' a MIRACLE? - well almost................


In preparation for the upcoming retreat to which I am hoping to take my bike (it was going to be cold, but now they are forecasting snow - so I am not sure). Anyway - since I got a new car last year, I need a new bike rack. Decided to go with one that fits in the hitch HOWEVER I do not have a hitch on the car.

I delayed it as long as I could, but finally called Hitch City to get the hitch installed. Yesterday was my appointment and today I pick up the bike rack. I have less than 24 hours to find the weather forecast and make the decision. I may just take hiking boots and go for a walk.

Went to yoga yesterday. It was a very gentle - lots of stretching class. Very calm and quiet compared to the others I have taken. I am NOT saying that the yoga fixed my knee, but yesterday I noticed that I was doing some bending and on my hands and knees under the long arm and I got up and down with NO pain. Wow - that is pretty exciting. And that injury happened in July????   Holy cow!  But it is exciting to know that it is healing. I still get a burning sensation from time to time, but over all - it is healing quite nicely. I guess I won't be needing surgery - but I knew that anyway!!!!   YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am still going to see the surgeon - well that is TWO months away still so I may opt out by then.

My dad is going for knee replacement tomorrow. He is PRETTY EXCITED about it. He is not a complainer, but I think he has suffered with this knee all his life (a cow kicked him when he was a kid) and the doctors have finally agreed to give him a new one. He is in his late 70s.

Oh - I got way laid. So while I was waiting for my hitch to be installed, I had taken some paper and would design this other customer quilt that I had to put together. It is for a woman who is getting married and her sister wanted to make a quilt that friends and family could put their good wishes on. Normally people would sign the squares at the shower, but when I talked to her way back in January - we decided that we could do it BEFORE the shower. Gianna was collecting good wishes and pictures and sending them to me, but I had no idea how many I would have UNTIL Monday this week. Yes - I know - I should just say NO.

One of the biggest issues with this kind of quilt - I do NOT like stitching over pictures or words (not words on the quilt fabric, but sayings, etc). So what to do with this quilt as some of the write-ups are fairly lengthy. My other dilemma - I did NOT want to send the quilt to the shower and it not be quilted. It looks so limp and sad and hey - I could maybe get a new client or two. What to do??  what to do???  Then I sat down at Wendy's with my lunch and paper and pen. I started sketching out an idea - when the LIGHT BULB went on and I thought why not quilt the quilt and THEN add the pictures and sayings. AWESOME idea - hey guys - hurry up with my car - I need to go fabric shopping!!!!!!


I stopped at Ruti's on my way home - was home by three. By 10 PM - I took the quilt off the machine. And I had to play taxi driver twice -went shopping at Fabricland, had supper and talked to my parents for an hour (my mom asked what I was sewing while I was talking!!!!!!!)  in between 3 PM and 10 PM. OK - so we are NOT talking rocket science here .......................................


This is the fabric I purchased - earth tones - the lightest one is for the sayings.

The BASIC quilt - quilted!!!!!!

Went to Fabricland to find some trim to make the "clothesline" that the pictures and good wishes will hang off of. I have already eliminated the two on the left. I like the rick rack and think it will add some pizzazz to the quilt


So the rick rack will get stitched down in FIVE rows - not straight across, but on a bit of an angle to help accommodate for the various sizes of the items to be put on.

Then each of the 40 items will be printed on fabric and the edges will be turned under or in light of the fact that they will NOT be stitched on the quilt (hey - I am trying to give the quilt to the customer today just for the shower and then I will finish the stitching next week) - I might make a double faced applique and just pin it on. Then use a button to represent the pin that is holding it to the rick rack. I hope that makes sense.

Anyway - there you have it  - Truly a QUILT IN A DAY!!!!!!!     The binding is made and I am going to stitch that on now. I was hoping to have done it already, but did have to prepare for my class this morning. Wow - it is tight, but I am thinking this will be cute and the entire quilt will then be quilted and don't have to worry about the big unquilted areas behind the sayings and pictures.

On that note - I am off to get bindings on quilts and finish packing for the weekend and and and - well there are LOTS of things to get done today. This is WHY I hate going away. I HATE HATE HATE the couple of days before and the days when you come back. If I wasn't going away - I would have NO PROBLEM getting this done at all.


Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment