Thursday, May 2, 2013

You have questions - I have answers...................

The big event is drawing closer (not even counting the days - no need to put myself into a panic!!!)

I am getting asked all kinds of questions so in a nutshell, here is some info that you may or may not find exciting. This post is ALL about cycling, so if you don't care - then don't read any further and watch because there will be a quilt related post later.

Yes - I have signed up for something very silly this summer. I will be cycling across Canada!!!!!!!   Yes - on a bicycle!!!    I leave on June 16 which is Father's Day. After a quick trip to Victoria to dip our wheels into the ocean at Ground Zero, then it is back to Vancouver where we start the actual trip on June 21.

After 72 nights in a cozy tent, we should be arriving in St. John's on August 29.  Then a few days later, I fly home.

Tour du Canada is the tour company that I am cycling with and this is their 25th anniversary of this ride.

The total distance - in the area of 8,000 KM
There are 25 in the group - no idea the breakdown of women to men, young to old - you (and I) will have to wait for those details. But we do have a couple of people from other countries.
The daily distance will average 130 KM or 80 miles

Yes - I wear padded bike shorts

No - I don't wear underwear under them - chaffing is not my thing!   The shorts were meant to be worn without underwear.

No - my butt will not be sore. I have a Brooks leather saddle which is thoroughly broken in and very comfortable. Brooks has been around for a LONG LONG time and they know how to make bike saddles

No - we do not have to carry our luggage. There is a truck that will accompany us to carry all the gear so we take what we need for the day.

Yes - we have to do our own cooking. We are split into teams of 5 each and we rotate. I figure we have to cook about 12 times on the trip (we do our own thing on our rest days)

Yes - I will be blogging - the entire way. I am trying to get my technology organized but it is tough. There is NEW everything which of course I want. But the issue is trying to determine the compatibility of all this technology. What will work with what?????   I will be thoroughly testing it all before I go. The only that I know for certain that I am taking is my big camera which will fit in the handlebar bag of my bike. The rest is up for grabs at this point. Oh yes - and I am trashing that idiot iPad. Got something better in mind.

Yes - I wear a helmet (this year with a mirror on the side - which I need to get out get used to)

Yes - I will be taking some entertainment. Likely some embroidery (got to decide which one) and books - NO I don't use an e-reader. Hate them and one more electronic thing to keep charged. I LIKE old fashioned books (which are already selected and waiting to be packed)

No - I will NOT be checking e-mail. If you want to communicate with me - you have a couple of options - leave a comment on my blog  - the comments are forwarded to my cell phone. Or you can send an old fashioned postcard or letter. There are five or six mail stops along the way. I am not able to post the addresses publicly, but if you would like to send me something - let me know and I will make sure you get the addresses.

Yes - in addition to the blog, I will be keeping a paper journal - well basically a place to throw in wise words of wisdom or inspiration that I accumulate on the trip, that people send to me and other paper stuff that can't fit on the blog. Basically a quick and dirty scrapbook.

Yes - we are riding the Trans Canada highway in parts. Highway 7 in others. Yes it can be scary and two people have died on this trip (this is the 25th anniversary of the trip). They were hit by a car - I don't remember the exact details, but the car driver was at fault in both instances. I am of the belief that when my time is up - it is up. Doesn't matter where I will be. But I am quite comfortable riding along the traffic.

Yes - I will be posting my travel information, So you will see this kind of information on my blog..............



Distance:60.07 km
Time:2:41:12
Avg Speed:22.4 km/h
Elevation Gain:343 m
Calories:1,923 C
Details
Timing
Time:2:41:12
Moving Time:2:33:11
Elapsed Time:2:41:13
Avg Speed:22.4 km/h
Avg Moving Speed:23.5 km/h
Max Speed:49.6 km/h
Speed
Pace
Elevation
Elevation Gain:343 m
Elevation Loss:344 m
Min Elevation:153 m
Max Elevation:223 m




But you won't see this.....................


ALL the data collected


The maps are the fun part so you can see the progress, but alas, I was told we are NOT allowed to post that kind of info and so to follow the rules, I won't be posting the info. I can forward the link for ALL the data including the maps manually via e-mail so if you want to be on that distribution list - let me know.

Yes - I am training. I have been working out at the gym three times a week for quite a while. I have recently traded my treadmill workout for the spin class and added another spin class. So that makes two spin classes a week because the weather outside was so bad, although yes - I need to get out there in the bad weather. Went for a leisurely ride yesterday afternoon - the stats above are from my ride. I have managed to increase my average KM/HR by 1 KM from my first ride. That is impressive.


Yes - my family will miss me and I will miss them. But M is getting the use of my car this summer so GOODBYE MOM - have a nice ride. DH works so much - he won't have time to miss me - the girls will miss me a lot and I will miss them.

Yes - this is going to be a physical challenge. If I pushed through and the weather was great and not too many hills - I could do that 130 K in about 5 1/2 hours. But what is the point?  I like to leave camp before 8 and if I get in around 3 or 4 - then I am happy. That is plenty of time to set up the tent and have a shower and then relax before dinner (on those days when I don't have to cook). The biggest challenge is going to be mental. How do you motivate yourself to pack up a wet tent and get on your bike and ride in the rain, the wind, and the cold. We have become too cozy with our lives today. Unless you have done something like this (even just camping) - the FREEDOM from responsibility is unbelievable. Knowing that you only have to get from A to B by a certain time is so freeing. No deadlines - no rushing to do what the rest of the tour group wants to do or whatever. These kinds of trips are life changing - at least they have been for me. And the best part - you usually come back weighing less than when you started. NO DANGER of gaining weight on this trip.

Hmmmm - I think that answers most of the questions that people have.

The ride yesterday was GLORIOUS. A leisurely 60 K. My legs feel better and less fatigued than spending an entire day setting up a quilt show!!!!!!!!!!   Although I must learn to reapply sun screen.




I put sunscreen on before I left, but for some reason my forearm (which normally would be the FIRST place) that I would apply got forgotten and I got some redness. DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


On that note - I am off to get some work done. So nice to have deadlines, but NOT urgent ones.


Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (and get OUTSIDE - even if you are just sitting and reading a book)


Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!






1 comment:

  1. Wow, what a great trip! That's something you will remember your whole life. I'm envious. I think I'm going to try out one of those saddles and see if that helps me when biking. I'm looking forward to reading your blog along your journey.

    ReplyDelete