Friday, November 16, 2018

I do have a guardian angel!


You know how we always complain about the bad things that happen to us. But we don't celebrate when good things happen.  Something extremely exciting happened to me yesterday. I'll tell you about it in a wee bit.

After my morning chores were completed, I was back at work. I made the labels and got them stitched to the quilts and I finished stitching the hanging sleeve. The quilts went up on the wall for a quick photo and then I was in the car. It was 9:55. Five minutes ahead of schedule!

I had three stops to make, two of them in the same city and one on the way. I stopped at the one on the way and picked up some fabric for a couple of upcoming projects. All is good and a HUGE thanks to Northcott for their continued support in my quilt making endeavors. 

Then I was on my way to drop off those quilts. Had an interesting chat and got up to date on the next couple of quilts for that publication (A Needle Pulling Thread). Then I was onto the last stop for the morning. The Quilt Store in Newmarket. I didn't really need anything, but I was looking for a couple of dies for the Accuquilt cutter. I found two of the four dies that I wanted. And ordered the other two so I'll get those in a couple of weeks.

And then a bad thing happened. This jumped into my bag. It was The Quilt Store's birthday sale so I did get 15% off my purchase, and that Halloween fabric was 50% off. How could I leave that in the store? I know - just shoot me now!!!!

A few purchases from yesterday

After putting that Halloween fabric in the laundry basket with the rest, I realized that the laundry basket is full. Yep - how did that happen? In five years since I did a mass clean out of that basket, I've managed to fill it again. You know how it is - if there's space, I'll fill it. I should have moved the Halloween fabric to a smaller container!

I stopped on my way home and got groceries. A total of 3 ½ hours to do those four errands. Not bad considering that The Quilt Store is 86 KM from my house. I don't waste time!

Then I had to prep the items that I was putting into the craft sale that's at the Hobby Horse this weekend. I had over 100 items and I had to handwrite the tag for each. I hate handwriting - only because my hand doesn't like handwriting. But I managed. By the time I got them ready and into the car, it had started to snow. ICK!!!  During my drive earlier, and after waiting for about 15 minutes on hold  (hands-free of course), I booked an appointment to get my snow tires on the car. I know - I should have done it sooner. I managed to get November 27 so that's not too bad. The roads were a wee bit slippery but everyone seemed to be driving according to weather conditions so it wasn't too bad.

After dropping off the items and chatting to the girls in the store, it was time to get back home. I arrived at 5:30. I had a quick bite to eat and then I was totally exhausted so I decided to do nothing. I installed myself on the couch and read. I had my tablet and my books and my phone and I was good.

Then the best thing ever happened. I heard my e-mail ping and I thought I'd check it. I was totally out of sorts with the "free" time. Oh, shoot - a contract to sign. Well, I might as well sign it. I wonder what quilt this is? OH MY GOD - it's the quilt that I was going to work on next. The one that was technically overdue. When I checked the due date, I almost fell off the couch. OH MY - the due date is JUNE, 2019. YEAH!!!!!  The quilt got shifted around due to some publications being canceled and I didn't realize the due date got pushed so far out!!!!  I did a wee bit of a happy dance on the couch. The pressure is off. Not gone, but off!!!! 

I thoroughly enjoyed the rest of the evening, the guilt was gone.

So this morning instead of starting that new project, although the due date for the next one is December 3rd so I've got to get started on that one, I decided it was time to get that studio cleaned up from the last couple of days of craziness.

Look at that cutting table! Mind you - I wasn't trying to cut - this is stuff that got placed there with the intention of it getting put away.



Stuff to put away on the cutting table

The one set of work tables was a disaster as this is where everything from the last couple of days got thrown. It looks a wee bit better this morning and much stuff got put back in its proper place. I've placed a bunch of stuff at the bottom of the stairs that will need to be brought up and put away or tossed out.

Work tables that need to be cleared for next Thursday Sit n Sew

The ironing board wasn't too bad, but it still had some stuff hanging out.

The ironing board is not too bad
 As I was tidying, I came across some other stuff that I might as well put away since it was acquired a while back. Here's a kit for a Row by Row from this summer. Thanks to Marilyn for scooping that for me. Don't you love the packaging?? I think it was brilliant.

Row by Row kit (music themed)
 It came from Mad About Patchwork. Very clever packaging!!!


The kit label!


I also found this box with a project in it. Someone had given it to me to finish so it can be donated to a charity. The blocks are done, the sashing is cut and the backing is there. It won't take long to finish. I wonder why people get this far in a project and then abandon it? An hour or two and then it could be donated as a quilt top and backing. Oh well - it's on my table of things to do at the Sit n Sew.



Almost completed project

I did go through a bit more of the stuff that I brought back from Houston. This is going to be a very handy guide. All the Pellon products and how to use them in ONE guide.

Pellon product guide
 And inside is a sample and information about each product. Stuff like this is very exciting to me. I feel a lecture/demo coming out of this!!!!  I'm going to go through and pick the most popular items and put together a lecture/demo that I can share with shops/guilds in the area.


Samples of products and information about how to use them
 I also got a sample book of Quilter's Dream products. I don't use their products that often as they're not readily available in my local shops. But this sample book is good to have. I'll be posting some dos and don'ts about their batting as well.

Quilter's Dream product sample book
 And here are two books that I got signed when I was in Houston. Both of them by friends of mine. The one on the left is by our very own Jeannie Jenkins from Toronto. The book is called Contemporary Paper-Pieced Quilts and if you were at Quilts at the Creek, the quilts were on display. I love that one on the front cover. But there are more fun designs inside.

The second book is from Joyce Hughes. Joyce does thread painting on panels. I met Joyce when I worked at Northcott as she did a lot of work with Northcott panels. It's an amazing book and all step by step. So if anyone is up for a class - we can do that!!!


Signed books from Houston

And then I happened upon Kim Schaefer doing a book signing and I managed to snag a signed copy of her latest book. She has some gorgeous stuff in the book - of course, you don't have to do wool applique if you don't want to. You could do regular applique. Look at those big flowers. They look super fun!!!!  She has some super cute applique patterns on her website that I'd love to do as a class.


Another signed book from Houston


It snowed all night, and this morning it looks like a winter wonderland out there. The girls are very happy and Lexi's going to tell you all about it tomorrow. She's too busy today. Like a kid in a candy store!


A winter wonderland


I may have posted this link before, but it's such a good story that I'm doing it again. A couple of years ago, I got to meet Joey the Shop Dog. Here's his story and you may still be able to find his fabric around the shops. A win-win for everyone.

Don't forget the craft sale at The Hobby Horse. I should have taken a picture of what I took to sell, but I didn't. There are tote bags, ornaments, journal covers, small zippered bags and a couple of other small things. Be sure to check it out. There's lots of other stuff as well including quilts, placemats, table runners, stuff for babies and a whole lot more.

On that note, I'm going to have a somewhat relaxed day. I have some paperwork that can't wait any longer and I've got a date with a sewing machine, a camera, and some fun!!!!

Have a super day!!!!


Ciao!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment