Sunday, November 4, 2018

Quilt Market - Day Two

What an amazing day yesterday!!!!  After having our free breakfast, we headed down to the convention center. It's a great walk to get the day started. I'm really loving this hotel - Springhill Suites by Marriott. 

I started the day off with a 1 1/2 hour class on batting from Hobbs. Oh boy - while I may have known about battings before, I'm super knowledgeable now. I'm super excited. I hope to be able to share that knowledge with everyone when I get back by having a demo. And we can get some samples done - can't wait to get home.

Then I hit the trade floor.  Oh my - it was an amazing experience. I went through a couple of aisles and there was so much to see. I spoke to several people and everyone seems to be jazzed about this Market. There are some great things and I've learned a lot. My head is swimming with ideas.

I managed to get in to chat briefly with the girls (a couple of them) from Ruby Star Society. They are so sweet and so excited about their new venture. This Market is a brand launch for them. Their new collections will be releasing in early next year. I've forgotten the date that Melody mentioned. Star struck!!!

I ran into Angela from APQS. She's the lady I took a class from for my long arm software. So I sponged off her for over an hour and got AMAZING information about a couple of issues I was having. Not issues, but the learning curve. Now I can't wait to get back and put that into play. She also is a very sweet and giving person. She's my new best friend!

I chatted to the ladies from Kimberbell and I got some tips on using those new Orange Pop rulers that I bought. Now I can't wait to get the rectangular rulers and get started on their embroideries. I saw Laura Heine doing her collage applique - I haven't made it to her booth yet, but she has new stuff releasing. Small collage quilts.  Can't wait to see those in person.

Chatted with one of my favorite magazine editors and got up to speed on things with that editor so that was all good. I managed to get a brand new book from Joyce Hughes on thread painting. She signed it for me and I was happy as a clam. That could be a good class as well.

Oh my - what else? I've run into many people from back home and it would appear that we're all leaving on the same plane to go home. It's fun to check out and see what the others got excited about.

I've met up with my friends at SVP (sewing machine company - Husqvarna and PFAFF) and had a good chat. It never hurts to keep in touch with the big guys at the top!

I'm not really looking at new fabric collections but I'm looking at a little bit of the new stuff. I WANT to do the new Lori Holt Vintage Farm Girl applique quilt. It's a sew along starting in January. Who wants to sew along???  You have to buy the templates. They're not out yet. No idea what the cost is.

The biggest problem is that if I see something exciting (in fabric - let's say), I'm not in a position to order it. Same thing with patterns. Some of the vendors have restrictions - buy 6 patterns minimum even if they are six different ones. I don't want SIX patterns from that designer - I only want one. Thank goodness for my good friend Gail at the Hobby Horse. We seem to have the same taste and she's picked up some of the stuff that I was interested in. This was after the show ended for the day and we compared notes. Some stuff, I can buy off the internet when I get home.

Oh yes - it was a super exciting day. I went to the food market and picked up some stuff for dinner and then headed home where I ate dinner and then went through most of the stuff I had picked up (or had been forced to pick up) and I sorted through it. Better to do that now than carry it all home and then sort it.

Then I was off to dream land. I was tired. Now the time has changed (thank god for smart phones who keep you on track!).

Today is another day and I hope to get in to look at some quilt exhibits. Then I'd better hustle my butt through the rest of the show. I've only seen about 40% of the show. I MUST go faster today.

On that note, we're off for breakfast this morning and I'd better get myself organized.

Have a super day!!

Ciao!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment