Saturday, November 10, 2018

Retreat - Day Three

Have technology - will travel. It's all about the technology. I remember one day a couple of years ago when a couple of very uneducated business people in the industry told me that quilters were not technical. I think their thought process was that we cut up fabric, sew it on our treadle machines and that's the extent of our technological knowledge. Well - they are so wrong. I think that each of us here has at least two devices. A smart phone and a tablet or a laptop or a fancy embroidery machine or one of each!

And we know how to use them. We listen to audio books, we watch videos on-line and get ourselves educated on-line or we make those videos. Behind the scenes, we use powerful design and graphic software to create files that we can quilt out, stitch out or cut out. While there are people who will never be tech savvy, I would say that quilters are moving up the food chain in that area and heck - we're not far from the top!

Don't let anyone put the quilters down as not being tech savvy!!!

Having said that - I've been downloading files, resizing files, stitching them out and I'm still not done my quilt!!!!  I did some stitching and then put it on the wall and the scale was wrong. Too small for my liking. Then I realized that I hadn't brought a bigger hoop so off to the quilt shop where I was able to acquire a larger hoop that fit the Designer EPIC. Yeah for that. I'm down to stitching out a maximum of four motifs. I may only need two, but I may need four. I'm so visual that I'm not going to know until I get them on the wall.

I'm currently stitching number two right now and so far, it's looking awesome. I will have to stop soon as I running out of thread, fabric and stabilizer. So what I get this time is what I get. No redoing! I'm sure the others will be quite happy when I shut this machine down! I woke Susan up this morning as her bed is right over where the machine is sitting. Oops!

The others have been madly cranking out projects. It's been a very productive retreat for everyone - including myself even though it's been a slow go.

I taught a class on rope bowls yesterday morning and you should see what they have created! All of them turned out amazing!  I had a couple of extra coils of rope and those got sold and I see this morning that another bowl was made last night. I'll try to post the picture on Instagram and Facebook this morning.

I popped over to Fabricland yesterday and picked up a couple of things that were on sale and also something for Ronda. Then I was off to the used book store. One of my favorite places in Orillia - well besides the quilt shop and the retreat house. Hmm - I could move here. Anyway - I turned in my books that I had read and got a credit for them and then turned around and bought a whole bunch more!  I do not need any more books. That's it for buying until next April.

We had snow yesterday and my new boots performed beautifully - keeping my feet toasty warm. I'm sure on a very cold day that that won't be the case but in this weather - they are perfect. There's still snow on the ground this morning, but not a lot - nothing to worry about - let's put it that way.

I think that's it for today and besides, I'd better go and check the wood stove. I'm on fire starter duty this morning since not many others are up. I had no problems starting the fire, but we miss Paula who is our resident fire starter, but she only comes up once a year.

Have a great day!!!!!

Ciao!!

2 comments:

  1. Was it the TML fleece for Ronda? I saw it last night at my local fabricland and thought of her(and my mother), instantly! Sounds like everyone is having a great time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NOPE - ALMOST bought spiderman fleece but decided I didn't need it!!!

      Delete