Friday, November 2, 2018

Travel Day


Here I am sitting in my shared hotel room in Houston. I'm here for Quilt Market. I'm super excited because I'm here to learn and to look and I don't have to lift a finger to do any work. Now how exciting is that?

Yesterday, I was up early so I could finish the binding on my magazine quilt. Then to pack my bag so I could get off to the airport. The magazine quilt came with me in the suitcase. I'll ship it from the convention center today. That allowed me time to sew on the hanging sleeve last night. I put it on my bed last night and the darn thing fits nicely on a double bed. It's huge, but it looks great. I'm very happy with the results. Twister on a treadmill for sure! 

Now that that quilt is out of my suitcase, I have room to spare so if I buy something here - there's room to take it home. But we have to remember that this is Quilt Market - NOT Quilt Festival. It's mostly a marketing/networking kind of place rather than a buying place, but there are things to buy. However I'm already wheeling and dealing with people and I've two places to visit over the next couple of days.

Our plane was delayed by about an hour. Something to do with restarting some on-board system. I dozed on and off during the entire flight. I read a wee bit and I finished my audiobook. I'd better get those darn things logged in before I forget. It's easy to remember when it's a physical book.

I had to check my small suitcase as the plane was small and they weren't letting any of the rolling bags on the plane as the plane was small and it was full. So as I'm waiting by the luggage carousel, I met up with a lot of people that I knew. There was the gang from my old work, an owner of a quilt store, and someone else that I knew.

I was able to share the cab ride to the hotel which was perfect. And then I didn't have to pay anything as it was a business expense for the other person. Could have been for me as well, but this was perfect. Then I had to walk two blocks to get my hotel. The room was ready and I dropped my bags. Then I popped out for a late lunch.

I got my show badge so I could get onto the floor. I ran into the group that I used to work for as they were working on the booth. Oh - this is so much fun to visit with them but not have to do the work. Because I'm a nice person, I did offer to help out. I went upstairs to a room where there was a bee going on and they were in the process of stuffing 1,000 bags with goodies for a presentation this morning. That was a lot of fun and it was good to be back with the gang. But when the stuffing was over, I was out of there!  That was ever more fun!

Then I went back to the floor and I walked around and got to check out the cool stuff that was being set up by the fabric companies and the other vendors. Oh my - some very exciting stuff. I'm trying to share lots of pictures on Facebook and Instagram so you can get the pictures there.

On my way to the convention center, I ran into Kim from Kimberbell Designs. She is such a sweet person. And she remembered me from the SVP convention in New Orleans last month. I can't wait to see what new stuff they have. I saw Alex Anderson last night. I took a picture of the side of Tula Pink's booth. She was sitting on a sofa in the booth doing some handwork but I didn't want to take a picture of her sitting there. I've seen the two ladies from Me and My Sister and well - tons of other people. 

There's a fabulous little market/grocery store between our hotel and the convention center. After I got all my registration done and got the show guide, I was ready to get back to the hotel. I stopped at the market on my way and picked up some goodies for dinner. A piece of quiche and some soup. I picked up some stuff for lunch so I can attempt to eat healthy here and no need to get in a line to eat or sit down in a restaurant. I love that!

It's about a fifteen minute walk to the convention center from the hotel which is great. The weather is nice. It took me a bit to get myself orientated, but once that happened, then I was good.

We've got a nice room to share and my roommate did NOT freeze me out like she threatened although I won't have the quilt on my bed tonight but I'm sure I can manage.

I sat on the sofa last night to hand stitch that sleeve and the light was BRIGHT that I didn't go blind to get that sleeve sewn on. That was fabulous.

I guess I had better get myself organized so I can get myself to the convention center for 8 AM. Got to go through the list of presentations so I can see the ones that I want to go to. It's going to be a jam packed.

Have a great day!!!

Hello!!

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful piece of writing content. I like it. Also want to add saving tip while travelling from the UK. Pre-book your airport parking as well as flight booking. You can also compare airport parking deals and save a huge amount of money.

    ReplyDelete