Sunday, June 23, 2019

Learning to sew


I can't say that the marathon is over because it didn't feel like a marathon. It felt more like a pub crawl. Nice and slow with time to get other things done! I managed to get all the prep work completed for the four classes this weekend. There was a LOT of prep work as there are no classes in the summer, but they still have homework to do. Dare I mention that I'm UP TO DATE?? Today is the UFO club and I've got part of my homework done and since the class doesn't start until 11 AM, I'm pretty sure that I'm going to be ready!

It feels great to be on this slow schedule. After the group leaves today, I'm not sure what I'm going to work on? Oh yes - there are still a couple of things that need to be done by next week. I guess I had better get to work on those, but I'm also tempted to take a day "off" and sew something just for the sake of sewing. I might get myself organized and start making nice piles of the projects that are stacked everywhere upstairs. I might just pop out to the gazebo. It's going to be a surprise what happens.

I also have paperwork that I've been neglecting, but that would boring to do that on a nice sunny, Sunday afternoon. That is for next week.

The show and tell over the last couple of days has been amazing (as usual). The groups never fail to disappoint in what they've created! I'm going to load pictures later today and start posting this coming week so I can get caught up.

But here are a few pictures of the show and tell from other classes. I teach a lot of beginners how to sew. We have a couple of good classes for this. One of them is a pillowcase. You would not believe how excited these people are when they get the simple pillowcase finished. And yes - another gentleman in the class. He was making this pillowcase for his 2-year old son. The 2-year-old picked out the fabric. I would love to have seen his face when he woke up the next morning to see what his Dad made for him. Isn't that just the best??? 

Proud makers of the pillowcase

Keep in mind, these people have NEVER sewed before or it was years ago. That is super exciting and hopefully, they get a positive experience in my class so they want to make something else. Travers' ultimate goal is to make himself a T-shirt quilt. Guess what???  We have a T-shirt quilt scheduled at Oh Look Fabric!!!  He was so excited!! I love the enthusiasm.


Then we had a PJ bottom class. It's been a long time since this person sewed as well and despite the fact that she wasn't prepared at all when she got to class, she almost finished the PJs.


PJ pants - almost finished

I'm also in the prep process of new classes for this summer, the fall and NEXT YEAR at the two stores that I teach at. Be sure to check out the classes at Oh Look Fabric and The Hobby Horse. The classes are mostly geared to totally different clientele. Be sure to check it out. Not to toot my own horn, but I've had excellent feedback from all my students over the years. And hopefully, I make the class exciting and easy to follow!

This week at Oh Look Fabric, there are THREE classes. Know your Sewing Machine which I encourage for anyone who is new to sewing or new to their sewing machine. Important things in this class. Tension settings, what do all the dials mean, winding bobbins, threading, fixing issues, etc.

Favorite Tee - make a T-shirt with knit fabric. Learn some tricks for cutting and sewing with knits.

Free motion quilting - great tips and tricks for learning free motion quilting. Once you know the basics, anything is possible.

My scheduled classes at The Hobby Horse are finished for the summer (my choice), but we're madly looking at schedules for the fall. We have some AMAZING classes coming up!!!  I'll be sure to post those.

Here's a show and tell from our Friday night class at Oh Look Fabric. This is Sara's quilt. Do you remember in 2017 - the year of Canada's Sesquicentennial? There were a lot of Canada themed quilts around. This is one that was hosted by Sew Sisters. (NOTE - the patterns are long gone). Various Canadian designers made blocks for the quilt. I have a block in the quilt. Not one of the clever ones! Sara's quilt is made with solid red and solid white. It looks awesome!!! 

Sara's Canadian quilt
And funny that someone in yesterday's class asked about this very pattern. I have the patterns and I need to get my butt in gear and get it made! I have a few UFOs that I'd like to get done before I start this. Not all the UFOs, but a few more!

I do have the friendliest students as well and some of them help to feed my fabric frenzy! Thanks to Sophie!! for the beautiful orange which we bought when she was in Pennsylvania.



Orange fabric for the stash!

I found a couple of other pictures on my phone that I thought you'd get a kick out of. Here's the floor in Studio B before it was taken up. There were some MAJOR dust bunnies running around on that floor. Yikes! I guess the bottom line is that things need to be put back neatly and well organized so that it's easy to run the Swiffer around. I'm putting a LOT of faith in that "new" storage room to help keep the clutter at bay. That's after I've culled the mess.

Dust bunnies

And look what surfaced in the packing up. This must have fallen out of a box and I found it all alone on a shelf. M's little teeth!!!!  I did pack it away somewhere - but I couldn't find it if I need to! It's in a box somewhere!

M's baby teeth


Look at this gorgeous rack that I inherited from M. Well, I found it and you know what they - finder's keepers. It was hers at some point but it wasn't on the wall in her room. Actually, I think it was in the office and about to be given away. So, now it's on the wall in Studio U. I have my "urgent" projects for the week attached to it along with an inspirational message. It sits right beside the sewing machine with a visual reminder of what needs to be done. I LOVE IT!!!!  Thanks, M!! You're the best.

Messageboard


And thanks to Jane. Jane sent me an e-mail entitled "quilt frame". Could it be that someone wants the quilt frame? NO - she immediately started her e-mail by saying that she didn't want the frame but had a story about getting rid of frames. It appears that Jane has tried numerous avenues to get rid of a quilt frame. No takers on her old frame, so I have an idea of what to do with it. Now I need someone to help me. Got to ask around.

On that note, I'm out of here. I've got that wee bit of homework to do. I know that a few of us were madly working away last night. NO ONE wants to cough up another $10 for not getting their homework done!

Have a super day!!!!

Ciao!!!!









2 comments:

  1. I forgot to ask this earlier but why aren't you having them do the storage room? Did it not get wet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The floor is gone in the storage room and won't be replaced. AT least not at the moment. All a matter of economy. I upgraded the other floor and got the entire main floor done. WAs running out of money to get that storage room done. But I"m good with that.

      Delete