Friday, June 28, 2019

North Stars - Lucille the Seal


I had a great nap after the carpenter left yesterday, but that didn't help the waking up way before the crack of dawn. But I get so much done in that couple of hours - I'm not complaining. I'll just nap again this afternoon. I got half of a quilt top cut and sewn together.

While I cannot complain about the scheduling that the restoration company put together, I'm not sure where their heads are. Every work crew that has arrived has NO KNOWLEDGE of the scope of the work. Yesterday, the carpenter arrived with many feet of baseboard because he thought he was replacing baseboard in the entire space. NOPE - that would be about a hundred feet of baseboard and LOTS of shoe molding.

Today, they are apparently coming to paint the baseboards. Hmm - that's not on the schedule. Today, they're supposed to be putting everything back. Seriously???  There's still stuff all over the floor from the stash room. It's going to be an interesting day, to say the least.

While that was happening in the basement, I got a LOT done yesterday. I dug out a couple of kits to take to the retreat with me. Not only did I dig them out, but I cut TWO kits. Both quilt tops are fairly simple and not huge so that shouldn't take long to put together. See - I WANT to use that all up. Since I'm not buying much anymore, I should be able to see the stack go down!! I found some thread to match some of the projects for the retreat. Oh yes - bring on the retreat!!!

I love Elle's comment from yesterday. She mostly buys the 3 B's. Backing, binding, and borders. Yep - I'm kind of in the same situation. I going to run short on white in the near future and my plan is to buy ONE white. That will become my staple for white. Same for black and cream. I don't need loads of each color.

I also managed to get quite a bit of paperwork done yesterday. I was super productive!!!

Today it's all about the North Stars quilt. This is the show and tell from our May class. It's the baby seal.

No - I'm not going to remember the names of those that made each block. I"m good, but not that good. As you go through the pictures, looks at how the values and colors of the pieces change the entire look of the block.


I love the greens/turquoise combination in this block!!! I love how the flying geese units help to frame the diamond.

Great coloring
The little seal pops off the grey background. Notice the directional fabric was cut to all go in the same direction. While I love directional fabric, I have a love/hate relationship with it.

Great use of directional fabrics

Don't you just love that fabric for the seal? It's the perfect coloring. The baby seals are white when they are babies - but not when they grow up! This is an older seal!

Great coloring for the seal
Another great use of "solid" fabrics from Northcott Toscana. It's nice to see that you don't need prints to have a successful block.

Great use of tone on tone fabrics
And then you look at this block with loads of print and it looks awesome as well.

Great choice of prints!
I know this is Sheila's block from the background fabric. It looks awesome, but see how it changes the total look of the block?? I know - those pink flowers in the background are distracting!

Busy background
Love the seal fabric. Some of these fabrics are from the kit. A good way to mix things up.

Love the mottled fabric for the seal

I believe this one is made completely from the fabrics in the kit. Looks great.

Block made from the kit

This one was also made from the kit, but the seal fabric was changed. He stands out much better. Notice how the choice of fabrics will highlight (or not) the diamond shape and the flying geese around the seal.

Seal mostly made with fabric from the kit

People were getting super creative with their fabric choices. This one looks great. And I have to say that I struggled with these colors. I don't have a lot of these colors in my stash.

Good choice of colors
 But look at this fabric she chose for the blocks.

Detail of one of the fabrics in the block

Notice in this one that the big squares don't have a lot of contrast from the points around it and that creates a totally different look. There's no right or wrong - it's about what you want. So neat to see all these blocks and compare to each other. Choose what you like and what you don't. Understand the difference and then use that as a learning experience.

The big blocks do not have great contrast from the points

Another close up of some of the fabrics used in this block.

Detail of fabric

Look - there are seals on that fabric used in the seal block!!! I love how creative people got when searching for their fabrics. This is after some of them were complaining that they didn't know what they were going to use!!!!


Detail of fabric used in the block

Hmm - I don't remember two people using that tan for their background, but this isn't the same block as above. Unless they changed something?  But it looks great.

Tan and a blue - nice combination

I LOVE this fabric she used in this block. Those are CARROTS!!!!   Why not???

Detail of fabric used in the seal blocks


See how those big squares really stand out in this color combination? Again - there's no right or wrong - it's all about fabric choices. Each has its own merits.

High contrast color combination
This one is much softer and you don't even see those big squares. Such a good learning experience.

A softer, more subtle version of the seal
This one was also made from the kit, but they used the white fabric for the seal. Go back if you don't believe me - this is NOT the same block as the previous kit.

Block made from the kit
Parts of this block were made from the kit. See how the diamond is very pronounced in this block and the squares recede.


Diamond is very prominent
Here's a blue version of the seal block.  The diamond stands out, but it's much more subtle.

Blue version of the seal block

I know that she wasn't pleased with the level of contrast between the seal and the background. It's tricky sometimes. You think you have contrast and then you sew it together and you don't. I'm in the same boat with my block. Heather used a darker thread and stitched around the outline of the seal.

Outlining the seal with darker thread



I think that is everyone's blocks that I have photos of. I know there are a couple of blocks missing from that line-up, but you get the idea. It's super fun to see how everyone chose different fabrics/colors and contrast to make their blocks their own.

The other thing and you probably can't really see it, but it looks like their piecing is bang on. I don't see uneven edges around the outside of the blocks. There are a lot of pieces in some of these blocks so that's a good thing!!!

I see Lexi has posted this morning. Probably getting into trouble - well at least her sister is.

On that note, I'm out of here. I never know what time the work crew is arriving. I aim to be ready (dogs walked) by 8 AM. This morning, I hope they get here early so we can start moving stuff back.

I've got two more days of the show and tell for this quilt. So watch for that tomorrow and the nexd day.

Have a super day!!!!

Ciao!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment