Wednesday, June 26, 2019

The BIG move


I'm late this morning - I know - I was at the gym! The homework for North Stars that I promised for today is going to have to wait until tomorrow.

I thought I'd share the status of the renovation. Despite what happened yesterday, things are looking awesome in Studio B.

I had already started to move stuff from the stash room when the moving crew arrived. We made short work of emptying the shelving. And now it looks like this.

This is the wall where the patterns and bolts of fabric reside. Since the shelves were all connected to the support posts, they all had to be removed.

Shelves have been removed from one wall

Because of the way the shelves were installed, this entire wall of fabric baskets also had to be removed. HEY - there's a window in that room. Who knew????

All the baskets of fabric were removed from the second wall


And the shelving unit behind the door with kits, scrap boxes, and backing??? That was also emptied.  Did you see the new floor?? Actually, this is the original floor to the basement. I had enough leftovers that they were able to take the floor back to where the damage started and reuse some of the existing floorboards they lifted and now it looks brand new. They fixed a few gaps in the old section. It looks great!


The third wall of shelving is also empty

OK - it looks great because you can actually see the floor. That's not always the case when all the stuff is in that room.

And where did all that stuff go??? Out in the main space. This is what it looked like when we were done.



Stuff from the stash room
And more stuff. Hey - it's a lot of stuff!

More stuff from the stash room

Then the crew covered everything with sheets of plastic.

Everything got covered in sheets of plastic
 When I went down, I was surprised that they had also moved the long arm. Yikes - hopefully, everything was OK. I didn't hear anything bad. Last time we had to move it, the head slipped off the rail and bent a wheel. This time, it has a new movement system so should be good.


The long arm is in the main area

This is the long arm area. Oh - doesn't it look amazing with NOTHING in there!!!!

Area for the long arm

It would appear that there might be enough flooring left over to do the floor in that other storage area. That would be awesome. Working on those details today. I got them to leave the old floor in the two closets so that accounts for some of the extra planks of the floor.

Now here's the thing. I want to put things back in a neat and orderly fashion. I also don't want to spend hours, days, or weeks making that happen. I also want to get back to Sit n Sew days in July (near the end). I also do NOT want things heaped on top of each other. So what are we going to do??

I'm not a 100% sure of how this is going to go. But I've been thinking a lot. I want EASY access to everything. Otherwise, what's the point?

The first line of business is to get those shelves back into the stash room. And so help me god, if anyone sees me with a kit in my hands, just take it from me and gently say NO. I have so many kits, it's obscene!!! As I put them back on the shelf, I'm going to find a Christmas one - there must be a Christmas one there. Ronda's going to work on Christmas quilts at the retreat, so I'll keep her company.

I want everything put back nice and neat. I can keep it neat. Some of the scrap boxes are overflowing. Make two boxes - already got the boxes. Like things need to go together. I'm going to assemble ALL my threads in ONE spot. Patterns - I need more boxes for patterns. Wish I could get to a Fabricland that's having a sale, but no time for that. I'm going to hit my Fabricland today and see what I can find. YES - I should cull the patterns, but I'm not ready for that!

I have several heaping laundry baskets of novelty fabric in the stash room. That's not very practical so as much as I hate to buy new totes, I'm going to get some and then I can stack that fabric in the other storage room.

As I put stuff back, there are some things that were on the top shelf that I don't think will go back. This is going to be a good opportunity to clear out and tidy up. Not sure how quickly that will happen, but it's got to.

The next step will be to get those bookcases back up and then get the books/magazines back on the shelf. That should clear up a HUGE amount of the accumulated stuff.

So - I have a plan. Not sure how I'm going to stick to it. It's going to happen in steps. There's no other way.

In the meantime, I've been sewing in Studio U and LOVING it. The windows are open, a beautiful breeze, the birds chirping! I love it. I will keep both Studios going once this is cleared up. I have plans for both of them. Just wait for it!!!

OK - that's it for today. Not sure what's happening in the reno world today, but I sure hope I get my shelving back. That would help enormously. I also have plans to tackle the two closets of UFOs (don't ask) so that can be sorted and better arranged. I need labels!!!

A quick aside. I stopped at Tim's after the gym for breakfast as there is NO milk in the house for oatmeal. I tried their plant-based sausage. Hmm - an interesting taste. Not sure that I would buy it again. But why don't they tell you the cost of what you're buying when you order it so you can have your money ready? They just say - "drive up". OK - so how much money do I need? I'm paying with cash. I had $7 in my hand. The cost was $7.45. I grabbed a toonie and gave that to her as well. Then I got 2 loonies in change and then I got an additional .55 cents in change. OK - whatever!!!  The order screen isn't working. Get it working!!!!

Have a great day!!!!


Ciao!!!

6 comments:

  1. I had the plant based sausage at Tims yesterday. It is the first time I have eaten there in ages. I'm plant based and this is the first such item they have ever had. I liked it. I usually take my lunch and buy a coffee when I go there with friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm all for plant based foods. I didn't NOT like the sausage - I guess my brain is thinking sausage and expecting the usual taste from the meat based product. It wasn't bad - just different. It's nice that they have choices for everyone!

      Delete
  2. Why do you think you aren't ready to cull your patterns? Just curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stop bugging me!!! See my blog today for my explanation! I'm kidding - I should be ready. I'm just not.

      Delete
    2. I'm sorry, I don't mean to bug you, I know it's super hard.

      Delete
    3. Judi -- you have NO idea. No - you know what it's like!!! There are days when I want to toss everything and then there are days when I want to take it nice and slow - the decluttering that is. I'm working on it - I'm much better than I used to be!!!

      Delete