Monday, June 10, 2019

More show n tell


I have no idea why this happens, but it never fails. Whenever I leave on a trip regardless of whether it's for business or pleasure, the couple of days before are just silly. Prepping and packing for stuff to go on the trip with me. Prepping stuff that won't be coming on the trip. Never fails. I would die if I had to travel every week.

I'm happy to report that I got my samples done to take with me. I didn't have time to take photos, but I'll share them with you at some point. Let's just say that making those samples was a learning curve. A huge learning curve. Always frustrating when there isn't a lot of time, but I've no one to blame but myself.

The binding is on the magazine quilt. I'm going to sew the sleeve on today at the Monday sewing group. Then it goes in a box and off to UPS this afternoon.

How do I get so much done? Well, a deadline is always a good indicator that there'll be a little bit of intense work going on at my house. But I've got great sewing machines at my disposal (thanks to Husqvarna Viking and PFAFF for that) that rarely make a mistake. Well, let's just say that any mistakes are usually operator induced - the machines never let me down as long as I do things the proper way. I've enough experience that I shouldn't be making mistakes and I just get into a rhythm. It's a bit inconvenient at this point with stuff upstairs and downstairs, but I'm making do and it's good exercise!!

I taught a class yesterday and even had a wee nap outside when I got home. It's been a couple of intense days! And I need to finish this darn book, but that'll have to wait until tomorrow.

The first course of business when I'm back next week is to clean up Studio U. I've been shoving stuff into a bag that has to be dealt with. All the stuff has a home, I just didn't have time to put it in its place so that shouldn't take too long and then - get prepping for the next project. And I've still got a wee bit of paperwork to deal with, although I did a very good job of keeping up while I was at that training class last week.

I found some photos of our show and tell a couple of weeks ago. This is NON-class show and tell.

This first quilt was made by Diane. Diane and her husband are dairy farmers so the theme is perfect.

Diane's dairy quilt

Here's a close up of one of the embroidered blocks. Ah - embroidery -- so much fun!!!!  I wish I had more time!


Embroidered cow block

I believe this belonged to Barb. The pattern is by Elizabeth Hartman. So cute with his plaid coat on. It's going to be a cushion cover. Barb is being very smart and using small pieces like this to practice her machine quilting!!!

Dog pillow

This is gorgeous. Those white blocks are hand embroidered. Then I think the hexagons were quilted and then whip stitched together. A very cute project. I don't remember the book it was from.

Hexagon project with hand embroidery


Now back to that packing list.

Sample suitcase packed? Check.
Snacks for the drive? Check
Portable office? Check
Clothes? Oh god - forgot the clothes! Well, it's always the last thing I pack!

I'm going to try and get some other pictures uploaded so I have something to entertain you with this week.

I'm off to Quilt Canada in case you forgot. It's in Ottawa this year. Starts on June 12 for four days. If you're in the neighborhood, be sure to stop by and say hello. I'll be in the Husqvarna booth. As much as this is for work, I'm excited to go. There's always so much to see and do. Lots of great ideas in the quilt displays and the vendor booths. Lots of chances to stay in touch with others. That makes up for the long days!!!


Have a great day!!!!

Ciao!!!

1 comment:

  1. I know you made this blog entry a couple weeks ago, but I was off on a cruise and am just getting caught up with your blog.
    When I get ready to travel, I get out my packing list. I have a printed list for both my clothes and for my sewing stuff. Each list is in a sheet protector and I use to dry erase marker to check things off the list as I get them packed. (That way I can erase the list for next time.) Also, I have duplicates of both toiletries and basic sewing supplies. Those things stay packed all the time, then when I go, I just grab the appropriate bag or case they are packed in. Makes packing more routine and makes sure that I don't forget important items. I can pack for retreat the day before I leave and not be worried that I forgot something. Hope this idea is a help to you

    ReplyDelete