Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Quilt Canada - Set Up Day


Ah - set up day. Such a fun day! It's one of those bittersweet days as you get to chat - very briefly with people you haven't seen in a while and you work. You work hard!

We had a lot of stuff to assemble and set up so it took a wee bit longer than it usually does.  I didn't seem to be in my best form yesterday as it seemed that I took 2 steps forward and then 5 steps backward as we got stuff organized. I should know better from all the years of doing set up at shows. Anyway - it doesn't matter.

I was on the small ladder hanging quilts and I was crawling under tables getting the electrical sorted out. There's nothing more exciting than turning on all the sewing machines and the lights and they all work because you've found a way to plug them all in. Let's just say that black carpet and black tablecloths make for some very dark situations under the table!

I didn't really get a chance to walk around and see what else or who else was setting up. I did see some of the crew from Mississauga who were hanging quilts. They had the fortune or misfortune to be hanging the Trendtex challenge near the back of the hall where the loading dock doors were open. At one point, we hear "HELP" and realized that the wind had caught their display and was in the process of toppling the entire section of pipe and drape. People ran to the rescue and soon everything was back in place.

Thankfully we didn't have any mishaps in our area. But I did end up bruising the heel of my hand. Ouch!! And my damn hands are getting so weak - it's driving me crazy. I must start to use my grippy things a bit more. Who would know that your hands would start to fail you! Makes me totally useless and I don't like that.

The awards ceremony started at 7 PM and we were just about finished by then so I popped to the hall next door to see the awards. Some gorgeous quilts in the show although we just saw photos of them at the awards ceremony. It's interesting to see who wins the awards and who doesn't. And you have no idea from looking at the photos as to the size of some of these pieces.

I grabbed a soup on the way home and then we chatted for a long while before retiring for the evening. Another late night and a wee glass of wine which I chased with glasses and glasses of water. I feel much better today. Tired, but at least awake!!

I think I have dinner plans for every evening and that's OK. A good time to meet up with people. Just juggling a few last things.

Here's my photo for today. This was taken a while ago in a class at Oh Look Fabric. It was a kimono class. These are very cute and just the thing to wear if you need to dress up an outfit. Make them casual, make them more elegant. And all three of the students finished them that evening. Not bad considering, they had to cut them out as well. I've forgotten the name of the pattern, but it was easy!!!



Class participants with their finished kimonos


So I need to change up my eating habits. I have no idea why I've fallen off the wagon. I've probably eaten more sugar last week and so far this week than I did all last year!  Why? I've no idea. I'm not even craving the darn stuff - it just seems "nice" to not behave. How stupid is that? So starting today???  Maybe, I'll wait until I'm back home and I'll get myself back in my normal groove.

On that note, I'm out of here to get ready for the show. Have to arrive early this morning to thread all the machines - yep - winding bobbins and threading machines - about 12 to 14 in total. No big deal!

If you're in the area of Ottawa and coming to Quilt Canada, pop by the Husqvarna Viking booth to say hello.

Have a super day!!!!

Ciao!!!

1 comment:


  1. 8. Many thanks for the exciting blog posting! I really enjoyed reading it, you are a brilliant writer. I actually added your blog to my favorites and will look forward for more updates. Great Job, Keep it up.
    student housing Canada

    ReplyDelete