Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Travel Day


There's a different feel in the air this morning. Yesterday morning, I woke up to a fresh 4 degrees Celcius. This morning, I wake up to a muggy 21! But I'm glad to be home! The girls were definitely glad that I was home and are anxiously waiting for Mom to take them for a walk. But the blog comes first.

I normally book a flight for the morning or early afternoon, but this time, I booked for late in the day to squeeze in one more day of visiting. We had one last breakfast with my brother and SIL. Then it was on to my parents where we had one last visit with them and at last, we were on the road by 11 AM.

We had to fill up the car with gas before we headed out on the highway. Of course, we stopped at the full-service gas station, but this time, once the tank was filled, I popped in to pay the bill. And our windshield was cleaned of all the bugs. There are a LOT of bugs that get squished on the windshield. That's almost unheard of here.

Price of gas 
One thing to notice about gas - when we arrived, the price was $112.9. When we left it was $112.9. Every time we filled up - it was $112.9.  The price doesn't fluctuate like it does here. It fluctuates a lot here. Most days, there's a price fluctuation between morning and evening of upwards of 6 - 8 cents a liter with the morning being the most expensive.

Lots of cousins and a couple of aunts and one uncle that we didn't get a chance to see. Next time, we'll have to host a party where they can all come to visit. Just not enough time!

We had a list of things that we wanted to accomplish before we headed off to the airport. I'll tell you about a couple of them over the next couple of days. The back seat of the car looked like a cyclone had gone through. For some reason, we weren't completely packed - not sure why that happened, but I'm usually pretty organized. I wanted to blame M for the mess in the back, but when she took her stuff out, there was still a lot of stuff that belonged to me!

This is one of the things I wanted to show her. There are several sculptures in Saskatoon that are pretty cool and made from scrap metals. The Sewing Machine Store, where I taught, is one block from these metal sculptures, but I had first seen them the previous year when my brother dropped off some scrap metal.

As you can see from the picture, they are HUGE. I notice that they take them in every night. I don't blame them - there's a load of work involved in them and would be easy for someone to pop by with a forklift and carry them off. Sad but true. If ever you're in Saskatoon, check out BN Metals on Quebec.

The transformers and me!


At last, it was time to head to the airport. I dropped M off at the door while I went to park the car. She had managed to cram her stuff into her suitcase while I was filling the car just before returning it. When I dropped her off, I then got to see how much of the unpacked stuff in the backseat belonged to me!

So there I was in the rental car parking lot, shoving stuff into my suitcase. I made it into the airport to hear that M's plane was delayed. Her flight was to leave at 5:20 and my departure time was 6:35. Oh well - we have more time to visit. So we got ourselves settled at the gates - I'm at Gate 5 and she's at Gate 4 which were side by side so we hung out at her gate.

Her flight time kept getting pushed back until we were leaving at practically the same time. Then my plane arrived and hers was nowhere to be seen. We said goodbye (miss you already kiddo!!) and then I got on my flight. She boarded minutes later and we got in a few texts sitting in planes that were side by side at the gates. That was pretty funny and the first time that's ever happened. I got a decent-sized plane that was half-filled and she was on a much smaller plane that was full!

The flight itself was pretty uneventful except that we did come through some thunderstorm clouds on the descent, but not bad. I HATE talkers on the plane. The ones that don't know their seatmate and proceed to chat the ENTIRE way home. There was a lady in the seat behind me and on the other side of the plane and all I could hear on the way home was her voice. ACK!!!!!! And then there was the woman beside me who drank two bottles of wine and two Bailey's on the way home and had her iPad and her phone out the ENTIRE time even during the landing (at least she had earbuds). I was planning on listening to my audiobook while waiting at the gate and then on the plane and I didn't listen to any because of the circumstances. I need one of those big pair of noise-canceling headphones!

Got home just after midnight!

Before I get myself organized for the day which is going to be insane, here's a picture of the two moose that we saw when we were out at the farm. It was pretty cool and I love the framing on this picture and the color. The Saskatchewan skies are the best EVER. Awesome photo M!!!

Moose on the prairie


On that note, I'm out of here.

Have a super day!!!!

Ciao!!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment