Thursday, August 15, 2019

I’m not interested in quilts - Part Two


I need to get my laptop fired up but keep forgetting to get the password to connect to the internet so I’m stuck on the iPad and having to do two posts. I’m not sure I’d manage on the farm with all that technology!

Cam said the hardest part of the combine was NOT touching the steering wheel when it was in operation as that would stop the GPS from driving. I guess you could have a wee nap until you got to the end of the field when the system alerts you that you’re getting close and you’d better be awake so you can turn the steering wheel and go back the other direction. Totally air conditioned, with radio and two refridgerated compares, a jump seat for someone to ride along. And the cab was HUGE so you could have easily put a sewing machine in there!!!

Then back to town. The highways are so darn straight here. I plugged in an audiobook and enjoyed the view. Where they live is a bit flatter from where we are and from their house, you can see for MILES. At least 20 which is incredible.

More visiting and then off to bed. I’m off to work today but not until after lunch, but since it’s just over an hour’s drive and I want to get there with a bit of extra time, I’ll be leaving mid morning. I’ve got to get my stuff organized so it’ll be a busy morning.

Oh - I have to tell you about this book that I’m reading. The Complete book of Machine Embroidery. Even though it was written in 1986, it kind of fascinating because it’s providing a bit of history into how designs and techniques have evolved. There are excellent diagrams in it that are still relevant today. But I’m seeing a few things here and there that are intriguing and I want to try when I get home. So far, I wouldn’t really call it machine embroidery - it’s more appliqué and embellishment. Perhaps the machine embroidery will come later in the book. Remember - embroidery machines didn’t exist when the book was written.

When I did get back, my Aunt and I took a quick walk around where my parents live. As if the the combine wasn’t enough technology, we saw this thing scooting around someone’s back yard. What the heck is that? Oh my god - it’s a lawnmower. Very similar concept to the Rumba vacuums for your house. This thing just bounced from one side to the other - we couldn’t hear it although we were super close. I wonder how well it cuts the grass??? So much technology!!!!

Anyway, my FitBit was happy with the walk, but I’m NOT walking, moving nearly as much as I do.

My parents live in an apartment building that requires you to get buzzed in. The other day, someone was trying to solicit the tenants and get into the building. I’ll call it religious solicitation. Of course, that caused an uproar. After some investigation, there appears to be two young men going around the country (they are based in New York) trying to find people of Jewish faith. They are called the Roving Rabbis. Which would explain the car with the giant Menorah on it that I had spotted the day I arrived. We’re not sure that it was these two men - my Dad says it was not them. So there were several groups (of different religions) soliciting around the town on the same day.

On that note - I’m out of here.

Have a super day!

Ciao!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment