Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Exploring


And another trip to visit family comes to an end today. We checked into our respective flights late yesterday afternoon. We'll be making our way to the airport late this afternoon - M will go west and I will go east. While the last day of these trips is always bittersweet, it's going to be nice to get home.

If for no other reason than to get warm! It's 4 degrees Celcius at the current time which is the lowest the temperature has gone while we've been here. It did warm up quite nicely during the day yesterday and we were running around in short sleeves.

I went out to the farm with my Dad and M as there was a task out there that he wanted us to do. We were attempting to reconnect some technology and the darned thing just wouldn't cooperate. Of course!!!  But it was still a worthwhile trip. I turned down a road to show M where I went to school and OH MY - there were two moose standing in the field. Looked like a male and a female.

M opens the window to take a picture and was quite noisy so they didn't stick around too long. Then we popped over to see a neighboring property where there had been a break in the previous week. Just doing the neighborly thing to see that everything was OK. There was a strange truck in the yard and Dad said we're going in to check. Turns out it was someone we knew (everyone knows everyone out here) and she was picking apples off the tree (with permission).

Once we got back to town, M and I were off to do some geocaching. I know - totally crazy, but we had loads of fun and she's all fired up to do more when she gets home. I think we did seven of them in total and each one was unique and for the most part, we found all of them pretty quickly. And let's not forget the rather large crescent wrench that we found at the edge of a field. We didn't pick it up but once we told my brother, we went back after dinner to retrieve it! Yep - the apple doesn't fall far from the tree in our house at all.

The one that almost got away was interesting. When we started the GPS, it took us around this back road. At one point, I mentioned that if car rental places could see where some of their cars are driven, perhaps they wouldn't rent! M says there should be a box on the form asking if the renter was going to geocache or not!!

Anyway, we arrived at a point where there was a rather large pole across the road meaning that we were going no further in the car. However the road was in not bad condition and since we were still about 750 M away from the cache, we decided to walk. It was a beautiful day and we walked along the river bank. Thank goodness for watching the satellite terrain on the app because otherwise, we'd have been trekking down the steep bank through the trees. Turns out we could have driven right to the top of the riverbank had we come in the other direction! The GPS goes for the shortest distance, NOT the most practical.

There was a rough path further along which we hiked down. We didn't spot this cache right away and because of the trees, the GPS was a bit whacked. Then we checked the activity (on the phone app) and the person before us didn't find it. Hmm - but we persevered and wound our way a few feet deeper into the low branched trees and there it was!!  It felt nice to find it considering the last people had not!!!

We picked up stuff for dinner and then back to the house. I repacked my big suitcase one last time before leaving. Hmm - it's not full - not by a long shot, but it's heavy. Is it too heavy? I don't know, but I think I might be just OK. That means the rest of my stuff needs to be crammed into my small suitcase. I'm tempted to just check it, but I'll see how it goes at the airport. I'm going to have time to kill so I can make the decision then.

We had a great visit. It's nice to get together, but I have to confess that I'm all talked out. I want to have some nice quiet time where I can read or sleep or whatever. I'll be getting that for one day before we have the sit n sew days where it'll be more talking! That's OK - one day rest should do it.

I won't be home until very late tonight which isn't my usual style of traveling from here, but we're going to do a few errands in Saskatoon before we hit the airport. One of them is to check out the new location of Periwinkle Quilts which moved since I was here last time. No room to bring anything home, just being nosey!

On that note, I'm out of here.

Have a super day!!!!

Ciao!!


No comments:

Post a Comment