Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Travel Day - Part Two


Oh - and the suitcase issue?? It wasn’t too heavy but I had split up the weight between the two suitcases. I hope to consolidate that into one checked bag for the way home. 

Did I learn a lesson? Yep - with checked bags, I MUST allow a few more minutes as I don’t want to repeat that episode. And if I hear of a MAJOR accident (two people were killed and three injured and three vehicles barely anything left) I must do a bit more investigating especially if I’m going somewhere. Bottom line, someone didn’t want me on that first flight and it all worked out. 

Made it to the apartment to have a visit with Mom and Dad and then my brother, SIL and my aunt whom I haven’t seen in many years came for dinner which was very yummy with fresh potatoes (from the farm) and fresh yellow beans. That’s so reminds me of when I was a kid. It was great. 

Lots of good memories about when we were kids and about my grandparents - this aunt is my Dad’s sister. It was great for everyone to be together - it’s been a long time. That’s the only problem with people living at opposite ends of the country. You only get to see them once in a while and that sucks. But that is life. 

As I was shelving the last of the books the previous night, I came across a book called “The complete book of machine embroidery:.  Hmm - this could be a fun read for the plane. The book was written in 1986. Embroidery machines weren’t even invented at the time!!!!  It was written by Robbie and Tony Fanning who were quite in the know in their day. And I love that they are talking about “new” products - stabilizers were new, fusible products were new. However (and this is the reason why I like older books), most of the information is just as relevant today as it was then. The book is very clearly written and I have a couple of things I want to try when I get back home. 

Some of those things they talk about would be fun to program into the embroidery hoop -so one doesn’t have to do the “manual” work. Hey - I might just try that and I can do it in the embroidery software and have the files ready to stitch out when I get home. I don’t have time to be on vacation!!!!

Some of the things mentioned, well, we’ve moved beyond that, but a lot would still work. And I learned that thread is 20% water????  I wonder if that is still true? That’s why when thread is old and dries up - it breaks. I think I need a highlighter as there is some stuff that I want to remember. 

Things like how to prevent fabric from puckering or threads from breaking - that information has NOT changed. It’s a fun read and I’m learning some cool things!  It’s a pretty comprehensive book. 

On that note, I’ve some time to kill before the others get up so I might go and read another chapter. 

Have a super day!!!!

Ciao!!!


2 comments:

  1. Elaine! Did you notice that Bonnie B Hunter mentioned you in her blog post this morning! It's in the gift away about one of your quilts for a magazine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn’t but someone sent me the link. Thanks for letting me know!!! That’s every exiting. Elaine

      Delete