Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Ultimate Show n Tell


What a crazy day yesterday was! I'll share that tomorrow because I've been promising to share these show n tell photos for two days and I need to follow through on that.

We had a couple of make-up classes this summer due to a couple of classes being canceled early in the year because of iffy weather. That was a first for us to have these make-up classes, but that's OK.

Here's what happened.

Keep in mind that the class has the choice of making the block/technique that we work on. It's not a requirement. While a good part of the class was in attendance, not everyone had show n tell. I would say that's because it was summer more than they didn't want to work on the block. But that's OK!!!

I'm going to attempt names this time! The first piece was done by Sandra. I should mention that the unit we were working on was the quarter square triangle also known at the hourglass block. We were so engaged by the teacups that Sandra put on her piece that we barely noticed the hourglass blocks! That can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on what you want people to see (or not see) on your piece. The hourglass parts were very well done. And so were the teacup coasters!

Sandra's interpretation of the hourglass block

If I remember all the names right, this belonged to Judi. This is how the block appears in the book. She'll be putting several blocks together and making a quilt at the end of the year. I love those colors and those centers were nicely matched.

Judi's hourglass block


Mary made a small wallhanging with her hourglass blocks. It's very soft and pretty, but what I love more is that she said: "I wonder what would happen if I changed up the coloring?" That's the most important thing about quilting. Make one version and then ask yourself that question. You don't need to remake it, but this is where the design software (EQ8) comes in handy because you could just substitute the fabrics and then you would know. Hmm - I don't have time to do that this morning, but I'll make some examples tomorrow for you to look at. If you don't have the design software, you can simply cut up a couple of fabric squares and lay it out on your piece and see what happens.


Mary's hourglass blocks


OH - I couldn't help myself. Here are three versions of this quilt.

This is the same coloring as Mary's original quilt

Changed up the colors a bit

Only used two colors

Anyway - that gives you an idea of how you can play with the colors and each design in EQ8. And it's fast. That little exercise took about five minutes if that and that included saving the pictures and uploading them to the blog.

This is Donna's block. Love that green/blue combination.

Donna's block

Donna was also working on a Bonnie Hunter quilt and this is a variation of the hourglass block. See what it looks like on the left, but if you rotate each block, you now have a ribbon effect. I love the one on the right!!!

Two different border treatments


This is Barb's block. I love the bold colors and those points match up very nicely in the center!!!!


Barb's block


Heather wanted to try using three different colors in her hourglass blocks and ended up with pinwheels. Nicely done!!!


Heather's hourglass block


We only had one non-class show n tell piece. Sandra (who bought this at the previous class) made this bed runner. It's done! Sandra's a finisher! I think we'd have a hard time working together, but I could learn from her. Although I'm so much better than what I used to be.


Sandra's bed runner


The book we're working from is called the Ultimate Quilt Block Collection. One thing I've noticed is that back in the '80s and '90's and probably even earlier, making a quilt sampler was THE quilt that everyone made. It was like a rite of passage. If you didn't make a sampler quilt, you weren't a quilter. Well, have you noticed that that trend is back? BIG TIME. The blocks may be different, they may be different sizes, but they are samplers!!!!  Only the fabrics have changed - thank goodness for that.

Ultimate Quilt Block Collection by Lynne Goldsworthy



We looked at more units in the book and there'll be more show n tell at the end of September.

That covers it off for today. After doing basically nothing yesterday (and enjoyed every minute of it), it's back to work today. I MUST get some computer work done and I've got a date with the sewing machine for some projects as well.

Have a super day!!!!

Ciao!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment