Thursday, August 1, 2019

STINKING Cute!!!!


I can't believe how focused I've been these last two days. Head down the entire day - no napping in the gazebo and I don't even have a deadline. An imminent one that is.

Having so much fun - it's crazy! I've been listening to an audiobook which I finished yesterday. It's called The Gown by Jennifer Robson. I think someone told me about - probably Helen Anne since she's the only one I know who has read it. It's sad, it's funny, it's uplifting. It's so not my typical style, but I really, really enjoyed the book.

Then after my mentioning Podcasts yesterday, I decided that I should listen to some. I was trying to get into the next audiobook - Good Omens and not sure it's going to work for me. I tried to get the History of the 90s Podcast, but something weird seemed to be happening so I went with The Quilting Company instead. I think I listened to three of them. They were a lot of fun to listen to and what I LOVE about these Podcasts is that they are short (½ hour) so you don't have as much time invested as in an audiobook with 12 or more hours. I'll be listening to more of them today.

Did you at least listen to the trailer of Kathy's History of the 90s Podcast?? Her voice is amazing. I could listen to that voice all day and she's very articulate.

I have an amazing tip to pass along this morning. We have a lady who comes in weekly to clean the house. She uses the plain jane Swiffer to get into hard corners and it appeared that she was using the disposable dry pads at an alarming rate. Do you know how expensive those things are? And she didn't need to be using one a week. Anyway - I decided we needed to do something.

So.................. here's my new Swiffer cloths. Yep - that's a hunk of batting on there. Actually, this one is several small strips (trimmings after a quilt is quilted). I joined four of them together - took a few minutes on the machine with a wide zigzag. VOILA!!!!  FREE Swiffer cloths.

A piece of batting used as a Swiffer cloth

It works just as well as the original, it's free and they can even be washed. OK - I'm in love with these. I'm going to be making some more. The cleaning lady can Swiffer her heart out!!! One of the things I've found with the dry pads is that there is only so much that it can pick up. It doesn't pick up grains of dirt and other debris. It's super for dog hair, dust, and lint. Just like the batting pieces. Then I get my cordless, upright Rowenta vacuum and whisk away the small leftover bits of debris.

Batting works well as a Swifter cloth

Now back to Studio U where the embroidery machines and a sewing machine reside. I'm happy to report that the magazine quilt has its binding on as well as all the Quilts of Valour quilts. There's also a class sample that has its binding on. For some reason, this class sample just about did me in for machine binding. I have no idea why I struggled with it. The first step of the binding was done several weeks ago and I wasn't happy with it.


Quilts that are bound and ready to leave the house


I ended up taking it off. There was way too much binding on the quilt. Perhaps that's why I didn't like it. When you're sewing on the binding, don't forget to put a little tension on the binding strip as it feeds into the sewing machine. Even if you're using a walking foot. This is what I cut off the binding after it had been reattached to the quilt. No wonder it wasn't working as well as I would have liked.


Extra bits of binding

Doesn't matter - - it's all done now and ready to hang in the store to advertise my upcoming class.

Shoot, the store posted a picture of the quilt but I can't find it. However, here's a link to the upcoming events at The Hobby Horse for September. I've got a couple of free demos - rotary cutting, know your sewing machine, and color/value.  Check out the list - I'm sure you'll find something you'll like and classes are always fun!

I also got the binding on this baby quilt. That's one more off the list. Yeah!!!!  All quilts that need binding are bound. See - I'm really, really trying to stay ahead of the game!!!


Binding on a baby quilt - DONE

Not only have I been doing some sewing, but I've also been busy at the long arm as well.

Here's a customer quilt that got done the other day. It's all trimmed and ready for delivery.

Customer quilt - DONE

I had a Quilts of Valour quilt that needed to be quilted. That's now done and trimmed. Ready to be delivered later today along with the five finished quilts. I'm writing two patterns for Quilts of Valour. The first one is mostly written (not designed by me), but I'm writing the pattern. I hope to get that finished today and then onto the second one.


Quilts of Valour quilt - done!

Remember that bright quilt top that Diane sewed for our community projects? Well, I got the binding made for that quilt. I've put it into the storage area and we'll find backing for it at our next community projects day.

The binding is made for community projects quilt


So if you clicked on the link to the classes at the Hobby Horse, you would have seen that one of them is Bench Buddies by Kimberbell. There are two options, Machine Embroidery or the Sewing Version. There are three patterns in total - the first one is January, February, March, and April. The second one is May, June, July, and August and the third one (which isn't out yet) is for September, October, November, and December. For each month, there is a square pillow and a rectangular pillow.

Bench Buddies patterns by Kimberbell

I've been having a blast making some samples for my class. I know - how often do I actually get my samples made ahead of time???  Not often or never! Look at this pillow. It's STINKING CUTE!!!!   This is the rectangular pillow for January. I found pompoms in my trim stash and I used the glitter vinyl for the snowman body. It glitters like crazy!!!!

Rectangular pillow

I finished the square pillow as well. They are so adorable. They are NOT big, but so very cute. I used the glitter vinyl for the snowflake on the square pillow. Kimberbell has pillow forms (of course) for both of these sizes. Their website seems to be down for some reason.

The two January pillows



We're going to focus on the January rectangular pillow in the class. If you've got an embroidery machine, but not sure what to do, this is going to be a fun class. If you don't have an embroidery machine, you can make the snowman using traditional fusible applique techniques. Both will be covered in the class.

Aren't they so adorable??????

I've been working on some of the others in the first book (January - April). I didn't quite get them finished but will share as they get done.

Oh - I should say that there are different finishing techniques for each. The rectangular pillow was finished in an envelope style, while the square one has binding! And I even hand-stitched the binding in place. I also found a gadget when I was cleaning that I'll actually use. I've already used it several times in the making of those pillows. You might have to come to class to see how to use the gadget. Not sure where I bought it, but it had never been used, but it's very handy!

As I've been sewing and prepping, I've been making a shopping list. I think I've got everything on the list that I need for the next couple of projects lined up. Today is a day of errands and running around. I haven't felt the need to take a break in the last couple of days, but I need a break today.

On that note, I'm out of here. I've got a pattern to finish writing.

Have a super day!!!!


Ciao!!!!



4 comments:

  1. I love how you take a book and work through it making everything (or almost everything) in it. I'm going to do that when I get my quilt room back. Looks like Sept 15 move in for our winter apartment. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ONly because these were so cute!!! I don't normally do that. I wondered what you were going to do for teh winter. Where will you be??? NB or NS??? They have a lot of snow down there!

      Delete
    2. Our apartment is in Sackville, NB. They do have winter but it's nothing like Ottawa! The apartment is really nice, brand new and there is a room that will be dedicated to quilting. Woohoo! We'll stay there until May then head out again. I'll have a lot to get done in that 7 months!

      Delete
    3. That's so exciting. And I'm sure you'll be ready for a break from RUdi!!! Enjoy the rest of the summer. I just love what you're doing. And what a way to see teh country.

      Delete