Sunday, August 11, 2019

The final countdown


Yes - I know I should have a checklist. I don't. My mind is my checklist and as I've been thinking of things, they got stacked near the suitcase. Today is the last day - what doesn't get done today - well, I'll just have to make it up!!!  The bottom line, the most important stuff is done. Well, there's ONE more tool that I need to learn today. I'll share that with you when I get a chance.

I had a glorious bike ride yesterday. A bit of a headwind as I went out, but my legs are strong and it was easy. Got all the hills out of the way in the first half of the ride with the headwind and then a nice tailwind to bring me home. Just so nice to get out. I was going to go this morning, but on second thought, I'd better make sure that everything is done and packed. That's more important. I can relax later today.

I still have two labels to print - they are written up and just waiting for a sheet of fabric to run through the printer. The sleeve for the last quilt is cut and needs to be sewn. The binding is on the T-shirt quilt. I added a tag from one of the T-shirts besides my own label. Oh yes - I also need to make a little envelope/pouch for the map for the Hot Guy quilt. I had an idea and it didn't work out because I couldn't find what I was looking for. No worries - plan B is already in place.




I love that when the timing gets tight how plans fall into place in my head. I still have that magazine quilt to finish piecing and my goal was to get it done before I leave but that's not going to happen. I still have two blocks and the border to piece. Hmm - I just thought of the perfect place to sew that quilt together when I'm on vacation. I've already sent a message and if she says YES - it's going to be PERFECT. And so appropriate - you'll have to wait for that. Giving you a hint would spoil the fun.

I had received a coupon from Michaels stating that after 1 PM you could get 40% off TWO items. Hmm - there's a couple of things I'm looking for so I'll go. Matter of fact, there were four things I would have bought. I found two of them. I needed a large square ruler. I already have a 15" one which I'm using in Studio U, but then I would need it in Studio B and I had to run up and get it or vice versa. That's nuts. So I bought a 12 ½" ruler. Now I can have a large square in both studios. No duplicates. With 40% off, it was a reasonable price.

12 ½" square ruler

I went to a different Michaels in the event they would have that Clover Mini Flower Loom - nope - they have the big one, but not the small one. No worries - I have a couple of shopping excursions coming up - I'll find the darn thing. I'm also looking for an envelope cutter but Micheals didn't have that either.

However, they did have the Ott Light bulb that I've been searching for. Yikes - it wasn't cheap. $42!!!!!  I guess that's because it's an OTT light bulb.

OTT light bulb

So I approach the cash with my two fairly expensive items, it's after 1 PM. I check the app for the coupon. Not there!!!  It was sent in an e-mail for members. ACK!!  I had already deleted that e-mail, but thankfully, I knew how to get to deleted e-mails on my phone, pulled up the e-mail and snagged the coupon. When she rang me through, only ONE item was discounted. Why???  Hmm - one item must be the Everyday Value item???  Seriously???  How would I know that? And you can't tell me that a $42 light bulb is an everyday value item. Thankfully, the supervisor came over and gave me a discount on both items. Thank you, Michaels.

I only bought what was on my list. I didn't look at anything else. I know that's not how they want me to shop. They want me to be enticed to buy something spontaneously, but I didn't need anything else and I've so much to cope with already, I don't need more.

I had two projects to get prepped for the classes next week at The Sewing Machine Store in Saskatoon. The first one was easy as I'd already made it on the Husqvarna Viking Designer EPIC, but I needed to make the same item (my Gecko) on the PFAFF Creative icon. That was done and packed up in a bag ready to go in the suitcase.

Now onto the last one. I'm not sure why I left the "worst" until last. I had visions of this being a nightmare. Actually, it was fun!! Once I got myself straightened out. I didn't start off well because I reversed the order of the colors (didn't READ) the pattern very well as it clearly stated which was which.

And now to insert a ZIPPER in the hoop with the embroidery machine. ACK!!! I've never done that before. Thanks to Karen's great skill in creating the project, it was super easy!!!!  Thanks, Karen.

Inserting a zipper in the hoop


Next up was to trim the project - looks like a big pancake!!!!


Project is now trimmed


But when you turn it inside out, it's a great little zippered pouch!!!!  Hey - if you want to make this, check out the classes at The Sewing Machine Store in Saskatoon or get your local PFAFF dealer to book a class.


Zippered accessory case


Now that I know how it works, I want to make more!!!!  Why do I anticipate things to be hard? I need to just get off my butt and make them happen.

The customer quilt? That'll have to wait. I just didn't want to add to my day!

I'm going to have some downtime on the plane tomorrow. I need to be planning for the next month. Figure out what didn't quite get finished this time and then plan what more needs to be done for the next events. It's a constant creative process. I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate all those decorative stitches into some projects.

On that note, I'm out of here. Got loads of little things to finish up and pack and then that's it! What I don't have, I'll beg, borrow, steal, or buy! And I can talk my way through a LOT of situations. I'm going to be just fine!!!! Just do NOT forget to pack that little quilt for my MOM!!!!

Have a super day!!!!!

Ciao!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Safe travels, Elaine! I wish I were close enough to take your classes, you seem to have a lot of energy and the desire to help others learn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Torry -- you never know where I'll end up! I'm supposed to travel across Canada to teach (which I have) so you never know.

      Delete
    2. Let me know if you are ever in the Pacific Northwest of the USA. I've been a self taught sewer and have actually taught some young people to sew, but I always feel that you can never quit learning.

      Delete