Friday, August 23, 2019

Sit n Sew day


We were a small group yesterday which allowed us loads of room to spread out. I think the participants knew that as we utilized the entire space.

And it was FABULOUS to get back to sewing. I'm rested up and back into my routine! I worked on numerous projects yesterday and I'll share what I did tomorrow. Today, it's all about what the others did!!!  I've said it before and I'll say it again - if ever you get the chance to sew with friends - DO IT!! It's one of the BEST therapies that I know. We chatted about everything and anything. You just feel good after a day like that and I was pumped and worked late into the evening.

Claudette came with her big ball of prepped tubing to make a jelly roll rug by RJ Designs. I set her up with one of my sewing machines in my small sewing cabinet. Now that I know where all the inserts are - this was super easy. We added two small tables around the sewing cabinet to support the rug as it grew! See what happens when we're small! We take over ALL the space.

I do love the flexibility of my space. With the small sewing cabinet and the extra tables, we can do just about anything.

Sewing up a jelly roll rug


And she's almost at the end!!!


The ball of prepped tubing is almost gone!

The final product is gorgeous!!!  She used a jelly roll for the project (not just her own cut strips). The theme, if you didn't guess, was polka dots!! She did arrange a couple of strips so all the grey was in the center and the darker ones were on the outside. It's so bright and cheery!!

The finished jelly roll rug

Just a quick note about links. I try whenever I mention someone or something to link to the ORIGINAL person's (designer) site. It's incredible how you have to search for this pattern. If you type in jelly roll rug, you get everyone else's video tutorials or Pinterest (I HATE Pinterest for that) or patterns for sale, but I want the designer's page. So I always search and provide the designer, never a store unless I have no other choice.

Diane came prepped to quilt a big quilt. She got lucky as she didn't have to share the space with anyone. She also used three tables - one behind the table she sewed on and the white one to support the quilt when it moved in that direction. Yep - flexibility is what it's all about!!!

Diane quilting her quilt


She had the binding prepped and got that sewn on by machine as well.


The binding is on Diane's quilt

Here's the finished quilt. Do you recognize it?? This is the Ocean Odyssey pattern from Lunch Box Quilts. Diane used her Husqvarna Viking Designer EPIC to do the machine embroidery applique.


Ocean Odyssey quilt by Lunch Box Quilts


Once that project was out of the way, she went on to quilt a baby quilt as well. No binding on that one, but I bet by this morning that the binding is on!!!  Diane is a very speedy quilter!


A baby quilt is also quilted

Helen Anne has worked on this project before at the Sit n Sews. I think she said she started this project 5 years ago. Well, she's almost done!!! Do you recognize this quilt???

Mostly hand-pieced and very intricate blocks
Here it is on the design wall. Yep - she made use of the design wall. I told you - we utilized every bit of space in that studio yesterday.


Common Bride by Laundry Basket Quilts


Here's a front view of the quilt. It's absolutely stunning. It's so not like the original colors that Edyta choose for her, but this is a very happy quilt. There's one more border remaining to be put on. It's a very intricate border so it might take a wee bit of time. I think it was about half pieced.


Common Bride by Laundry Basket Quilts
I've known Helen Anne for many years and she does NOT shy away from these very intricate quilts. I don't know how many she's made, but they are all beautiful and she has a great sense of color!!!

Elaine S was working on her July Shop Hop quilt from a couple of years ago. She got a couple of blocks completed - I managed to snap one of them.


A block from the July Shop Hop 


I'm thrilled with my progress yesterday but you have to wait for it and I can't say enough about the power of sleep to solve a problem! Wait for that one.

I guess we've all noticed how dark it's getting in the morning and the evening. I notice it more in the morning than in the evening. And how about the temperature change. I have shorts on this morning and it's a tad nippy! But I'm OK with that. I just wish we could have more "happy medium" days instead of HOT or COLD. But I'm not complaining.

I see on our walk in the forest that fall is coming. Look what I saw on the ground. I haven't heard the squirrels yet, but I bet they are working hard at putting away their winter stores. Once they get going, you can hear acorns dropping in the forest as I walk the dogs.

Acorn on the ground


We're not having our community projects today. There was only one other person besides myself. I'm dropping a kit off at her house this morning so she can sew and I'm going to be quilting. Got a couple of deadlines that I really, really need to get done and I decided this was the best use of my time.

On that note, I'm out of here!!

Have a super day!!!

Ciao!!!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting the link to the designer for the rug. I want to make one later this fall. And the bride's quilt is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! She has more than one style now. Not sure which one I like best. And Common Bride is stunning. Not on my list of quilts to make!

      Delete