Thursday, July 23, 2020

Flexibility is key


Thank goodness I'm a very flexible person. Remember that whole month of August that stretched ahead of me with "nothing" to do? HAHA - what a laugh!!

In my day job as an SVP Educator, we haven't been able to travel because of the pandemic. We have been trying to get things going virtually. I wasn't planning on any bookings until at least September. Guess what?? I'm booked for August! That means I have a lot of prep work to do as we're going for ALL the planned events, not just the ones on quilting.

I guess as soon as I'm over this current hurdle, I'll be back to prepping shows and making samples. I have to chuckle. This is the story of my life! It's actually not all that bad as we used to do all these topics in person. So it's just a question of laying out the presentations (only 1 hour each) and then getting the samples in order.

I think I might have to make up different piles around the studio. Each of the 6 quilting presentations will have its own stack of samples. I'll have another set for embroidery and so on. It's the only way I'm going to be able to get this under control. I could be doing up to 3 presentations a day, depending on how the bookings go! Never a dull moment.

Now to get the rest of the equipment ordered. Shoot - I've been stalling on that, and now I'd better get myself together.

I'm happy to report that the magazine project is DONE. It's gorgeous, and for the first attempt at this type of project and working with the cork, it turned out way better than I expected. I want to do more stuff with cork - it was beautiful to work with. I'm also getting the hang of the UPS pick-up routine from the house, and when I got back from my walk last night, the package was gone. Yeah UPS.

Then it was back to writing blog posts. I made good progress while learning a new way to do it. Yep - thank goodness I'm flexible. I've got more writing and more sewing to do today. But I feel much better now that the project is done.


We had a lot of rain yesterday, but it was all a gentle rain (more or less) rather than those crazy storms we've been having. I had to make a mad dash from the gazebo to the house when the rain started coming down a bit harder. Fortunately, it cleared up after dinner, and I was able to get out for a walk.

As I was getting close to home, there was a rainbow. Why are rainbows so hard to capture on a camera? Trust me - there's a rainbow in this picture!!!


A rainbow in the sky


I'm loving following my progress across Canada on Google Maps. But here's something that I learned. The Google Map that I'm following is a topographical map that shows the terrain. I knew that there was a broad river valley in southern Saskatchewan, but I had no idea the extent of that massive valley. And it carries on into Manitoba as well.

Massive old river valley in Manitoba


That valley is enormous. The river that ran through there would have been a HUGE river. I wonder when it dried up???

When did I order my shoes from Mark's?? I think it was Monday. Well, guess what? I got my shoes yesterday.
My order from Mark's

That was fast!! And delivered right to the door. These are the rain boots that I bought. I did try them on yesterday, but I didn't have socks on. They are a tight fit - well, not tight so much as hard to put on because of the material. Once I have a pair of thin socks on, I should be fine. I need to try them on with socks today. I love them - not too high, but they'll keep my feet dry in the wet weather.


Rubber boots

What I LOVE about rubber boots is that you can't really wear them with shorts when it's raining. Otherwise, the rain just pours down your leg and into the boots! That doesn't really translate into dry feet.

I have to get some more kits ready for Diane, who is madly sewing up community project quilt tops for me. Love you, Diane!!  I took one kit out for her, leaving TWO kits left. I need to look at both of the remaining ones a bit more to see what can be done with them and add some sashing or whatever is missing. And don't worry - I have loads more fabric that will get added to that pile when the time comes.

I don't have time to do that today, but I have this box of batik samples that we're going to cut up to make quilts. I certainly do NOT need more batiks. I pulled some samples out in two color groupings, and that's what Diane gets to work with next. Let's just say that there are MANY quilt tops in that box. My guess would be at least 10. OK -- I think there are way more than 10 quilt tops in that box. And I've already pulled fabric for two.



A box of batik samples

I've got four classes to prep for this weekend. Well, three classes and our UFO group. I started cutting this morning. So it's going to be another busy day while I work on those and the blog posts. But all is good. Things are under control, and that's all that counts.

So I get to cut up those beige pieces that I had purchased a couple of weeks ago.

Cutting up the beige fabric



Don't forget that if you want a day out, book an appointment at the Homer Watson House to see the SAQA art quilt show.

Got to run - there's a whole lot to get done today. It's going to be super easy since I know exactly what I'm doing and how to do it. No having to make it up as I go along!

Have a super day!!!!

Ciao!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment