Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Shopping chez Elaine


We had another great Monday sewing session via Zoom. Honestly, I don't know what we would do without these Zoom session. The fact that we get to see each other and keep up to date with families, solving the world's problems, our projects, and anything else that comes up in the conversation is AMAZING. I can't imagine what it would be like to not have the Zoom sessions. I'd feel so isolated.

While Zooming is NOT the same as seeing each other in person, it's the next best thing, and quite frankly, I feel like we're in the same close contact that we always had. The best thing? No packing up of a project, no hauling the sewing machine around, and we get to see everyone's sewing spaces. I LOVE Zoom.

After that was over, I was back to the long arm. I had to take a customer quilt off last week to get the magazine quilt done. That quilt is back on the long arm, and I made great progress with it. It's a custom job, so that takes a whole lot more work than doing the edge to edge. I did a LOT of ruler work on the quilt, and this is what part of the border looks like.


The border on a customer quilt
Most of the ruler work is done. This part is the most intense, and I have one small part of the border to finish this morning. Then the rest should be relatively easy. To entertain myself once I've figured out how the quilting should go, I listen to an audiobook. That makes the time pass because once you know what you're doing, it's just time to get it done.

I'm listening to one of James Patterson's books. It's from the Women's Murder Club. I'm way behind in those books. The thing with these books and I'm going to say ALL audiobooks by James (and his co-authors) is they add sound effects and music. That has scared the crap out of me on more than one occasion. I'm thinking,  what is that noise?" And then I realize it's on the audiobook!! Definitely adds ambiance!

My goal is to get that quilt off the machine today. Well, I have to. I was hoping to get another customer quilt done by tonight, but I'm not sure that's going to happen. That would be really pushing it. And I still have to quilt this piece of fabric.

Cycling fabric to be quilted
So you remember at the last retreat (just a few days ago), that Ronda and I were working on our backpacks. We were both hyped up, and well, it just wasn't a good day to make backpacks. I was waiting for some fabric to arrive so I could quilt some shoulder straps. That fabric came while I was away. Thanks to Fabricland in Vernon, I got my fabric. I wasn't thrilled about the shipping costs. $15 to ship when the actual price was $3.19. Granted, they had to buy the bubble mailer at $3.00. Still - I got my fabric, and let's just move on!

Getting this piece of fabric quilted for the straps is my priority today. Well, after the customer quilt comes off the long arm.

Why the urgency? Well, it appears that we're going on retreat again! YES - we leave tomorrow. We booked this retreat last year. It was the one last week that got shifted around. I know that I should have quilted this fabric before so I wouldn't be rushing around on the day before we leave. I didn't, so I'll just live with the consequences. I may be working on the backpack at the next retreat!

The laundry basket is almost full. I hope to add the backpack and one other small project. Then that's it! I love the laundry basket idea. Thanks, Tish! It's working like a charm and NO panic packing.

Speaking of the laundry baskets, I just hope that one day SOON that I can clear all the projects that are on the work tables in Studio B. Why do I not seem to be getting ahead? I'm not getting behind, but seem to have trouble getting some small stuff finished up. Well, in August, when I have a totally blank schedule, I hope to get some of those projects done.

When I'm back next week, I'll be working on some great ideas for upcoming blog posts, and I can't wait to get started on that. I've got a list, and I've got some supplies stockpiled.

Here's one advantage of having a well-organized studio space. Well, not just the studio itself, but all the supplies. I needed some things to finish up my secret project. You'll get to see the project by the end of the month, so a wee bit more patience is required.

I needed some bells and ribbon. I found those within mere seconds because I knew exactly where they were, and ALL of both items were corraled entirely in their respective containers.

My "purchase" of ribbon and bells

Hmm - could this be a Christmas in July project? You never know..............

Then I needed some buttons. I pulled out the big jar of buttons and started the search. I didn't get through the buttons yet. That's for later today.

Looking for buttons

Here's a wee trip down memory lane. This button came off a couch that I had years ago. MANY years ago.


A button from my old sofa

And this button? It's practically an antique. Well, not really, it's a button I used when I made myself a jacket when I was learning to sew. Now that was MANY, MANY years ago.


A doggie button


OH MY GOD --- Thank god for shoes. I just ran in the house to hide from Murphy. I hit her toy box, full-on with my toes. If I didn't have shoes on, well, that would NOT have been good.

I still have some computer work to get done. More quilts to design - I have THREE quilts that need some work in EQ8. Then to try and track down fabric for some other quilts. Yes - the follow-up for all this takes a LOT of time. This is where an assistant would be excellent. Now that I've cleaned up my filing system, it's a lot easier to keep track of what's missing. But still takes time!

Here are the blocks for Summer Moon. This is one of the ongoing classes that would have been held at The Hobby Horse. There was a TON of flying geese in the homework this month.


Block One

Block Two

Block Three
 Each one of those blocks needs to be made in three different sizes. And then, a frame needs to be added to each of the blocks. We're now halfway through the blocks.

Here are all my large blocks with the framing on. The book says to put framing on four sides. Some of the strips were teeny tiny, so I made them larger and added to only two sides. Works for me.


My summer moon large blocks


These are the medium blocks. There's a white strip around each of those as well. The frame allows all the blocks to become the same size.

My medium blocks

These are the small blocks. They also have a frame around them, but part of the frame is pieced. There are four different framing types. We're working on the first one.


My small blocks

 I love the look of my blocks so far. I'm using scraps from a magazine quilt. I only hope that I have enough fabric. But it's still current, so I should be able to find some if I need some. I think I'll be OK. And I can always find a creative way to add more.

On that note, I'd better get the day going. I've got a lot of paperwork and quilting to do. Thankfully, except the backpack, everything is prepped and ready to go for the retreat.

Have a super day!!!!

Ciao!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment