Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Who turned up the heat?


Holy -- this heat is getting even crazier every day. As everyone says, it's not the heat but the humidity. Monday wasn't a very humid day, but yesterday? That was humid. Last night was the first night that I came back from the walk a tad damp. Well, much damper than usual. I honestly don't mind the heat and the humidity - I don't go running a marathon in it by any means, but it's a great excuse to do things slow and steady!

I spent a good part of the day working on the customer quilt, and it's done. 

Customer quilt - DONE


I'm thrilled with the quilting, and it's all trimmed and ready to pick up.

When working with more than one color, it's always a challenge to figure out what thread to put on the back. And when there's high contrast from the front and the back, that's another challenge. 

Here's what the back looks like. 

The back of the quilt


Can you believe that I used WHITE thread in the bobbin when I quilted the white areas?? It was a thin thread, so it doesn't show up at all. Then I switched to a weird blue color when I did the black and the blue on the quilt. And that backing also helped a whole lot. It's a very busy print and hides a lot of the thread. My kind of backing!!!


I was hoping to get another customer quilt done, but I was tired when this quilt was done. I did have to get the straps for my backpack quilted, so I loaded that. A small piece at 20 by 10 inches. So it took no time at all. It always looks ridiculous to put something so small on that 14-foot table. The pattern isn't quite to the same scale as the original quilting, but who cares. These straps are only 2" wide, so I doubt anyone is going to notice. 

Quilting the backpack straps

I didn't cut the foam piece that's in the middle. I just loaded the entire big piece, and I'll trim it later. 

So the laundry basket is packed. And everything fits in the one basket. It's heaping, but it's all in one basket. I loaded my bike INSIDE the car last night. The big question now -  is there enough room for my sewing stuff? That car is small. I'm sure I'll figure it out. 

I downloaded this badge from The Big Canada Run. At first, I thought it was a mistake, but NO - it's not a mistake. This is in honor of us Canadians who are always saying SORRY. 


First badge in The Big Canada Run


Information about various cities is posted as we make progress across the country. When I saw this picture, I had to share it with you.

Do you know where this was taken???






It's part of the Cabot Trail in Nova Scotia. What's hilarious is I know this stretch of road - very well. 

I've cycled the Cabot Trail three times, and I feel that I know the road quite well. This particular stretch is the descent on Smokey Mountain. It doesn't look like that big of a deal, but this is a STEEP descent. I took a video of it on one of my descents. Here's the link if you want to watch.   There are THREE mountains on the Cabot Trail. Anyway - it was a "fun" ride - so much fun, I did it three years in a row!!

Well, I've got to run. Walk the dogs, load the car, and I'm out of here!!!

Have a great day!!!

Ciao!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment