Thursday, August 13, 2020

The REALLY good news!


Yesterday was an exciting day as I played gaffer and prepped the "film studio" located in Studio B for my SVP Canada presentation last night. I don't have time to go into all the details today - I'll save that for tomorrow. Bottom line? I learned a TON about cameras, and I learned that some stores have way better customer support than others do (although we already knew that).



The presentation went very well - I have to say that I was impressed with what I could do. OK -- it wasn't rocket science, but still - I hope the attendees enjoyed it. I've got a few things I want to change for next week as I have at least one presentation or class per week now for the remainder of the year!

I cleared up a couple of "urgent" e-mails and crossed some items off the To-do. Always a good feeling to make that happen.

Oh yes - I said that I'd share the sign that got posted on the temporary Active Transportation lanes. Yep - that's what cycling, walking, and other non-vehicular transportation are called - Active Transportation.

Several lanes in the city were blocked off with cones. A section of road not far from me is blocked off, and I use it for walking. And if you live in Europe, I know you're probably laughing at our feeble attempt to make more room for cyclists and pedestrians. This is a start for us, and I applaud any effort to get more people out. A lot more people are out walking and cycling than usual. I'd still like to see more, but I'm happy that more are out. Let's hope they stay out even when things get back to normal.


Streets blocked off for an Active Transportation lane

 Here's an article about when the lanes were first installed. 

Here's another article about why people are afraid to cycle on the roads. Guess what the biggest culprit is? SPEED. And I'll say lack of respect for cyclists or pedestrians.

Now before you get in a knot that cyclists also don't obey the rules - yes, many don't. But how can you expect a cyclist to stop at a stop sign when a car doesn't????  I just think that the more bikes that get on the road, the more people will start to respect them.

Anyway - enough about that. Let's talk about the signs. The big orange signs were what got installed first to let people know what was happening.


Signs for the temporary bike/pedestrian lanes


The other day, the bottom sign got added. Was that necessary? Or was it something that was planned?? I bet there were tons of people that called to complain about the temporary lanes - get over it! And then to make comments that we need to watch out for others and stay right, pass left?? Well, isn't that common sense! Oh yes - I forgot - common sense doesn't exist any longer. It doesn't matter who you are or what you do, most common sense and respect is a thing of the past (for a lot of people).


New signs for the Multi-Use Lane


As part of my preparations yesterday, I decided that instead of printing out the PowerPoint presentation, I could download it to my Surface Pro tablet. This tablet has been languishing in the office for years and hasn't been used in quite a while. I knew where the charger was - all chargers go in the same spot. It was a question of where the heck was the tablet. I remember moving it not that long ago.

I put on my thinking cap, and soon I had the tablet charging. It was a bit of a struggle to get it to do what I wanted - I'm saving that story for tomorrow. But it worked like a charm.

Surface Pro tablet charging

However, I have GOOD news. While I was searching for that darn tablet, I found something that has been missing for a LONG LONG time. Don't ask me why I searched in this small basket - the tablet would NOT have fit in there.



Basket of stuff to search through


OH MY GOD -- I was so excited! This is a library book that I "lost" last year. I tried to find it numerous times and no luck. I even had to pay for the book, and it was $30 or something like that. I still have the receipt. Well - it's on my desk somewhere. I thought it was in the pending folder.


A LOST library book

It's a skinny little thing, as you can see. I knew that it had been on the table in the office, and it got shoved in with stuff, but where exactly?


The library book is pretty skinny

I'll read the book, and then I'll return it so I can get my $30 back. I really should start a list of LOST items. It would have been so great to cross this one off the list and then to know how many more things I've misplaced.

Speaking of cycling, it was Camp Day at Tim's, and I decided to support them. Although the donation worked only for coffee or iced coffee and I don't drink coffee. Is that some kind of discrimination? Oh god - don't even go there. But I took my bike! I have a cup holder on the bike, and it was easy to get my tea. I did buy a bracelet!


Cup holder on the bike

Now that my film studio is set up and the worst of the paperwork is under control, I actually get to relax and enjoy today. The big question is, what am I going to do? Well, I started off with one of my UFO projects. It didn't start well. The very first seam I sewed was wrong! OH - that's how rusty I am. I had a good laugh about it and moved on.

The first seam needs to be ripped

I had company while I sewed. The little guy is so small that you barely notice him. But I got the sewing machine set up, and the ironing board moved out of the film studio and back into the sewing studio, and I was good to go.

Little Bear keeps me company


And I managed to ALMOST get these two blocks done.


Snail's Trail Block Number One

Snail's Trail Block Number Two


The big question of the day is going to be - can I actually sew something, or do I get back to that darn book I'm reading. The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair? By Joel Dicker. It's a page-turner, and thank goodness for that since it's 640 pages long. I'm about 2/3 of the way through the book, and well - I want to know the truth!!!!  I might have to sew a bit, then read a bit.

I just realized from that link, that there are MORE books by this author and the Marcus Goldman character. Hmm - I wonder if they have also been translated into English. I can read French, but it would take me forever! And I'd miss a LOT. It would be good practice!!!

Well, it sure feels nice to have a relaxing day ahead of me. I'll make good use of the time and well - I can't wait to just relax and do what I want.

I'll be scheduling some classes for the fall as well. Hey - I have to get the maximum use of my film studio as I possibly can. So if you haven't let me know about something you'd like me to teach, then let me know. Anyone can sign up because it'll all be virtual.

On that note, I'm out of here!!!

Have a super day!!

Ciao!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment