Friday, February 26, 2021

You've got mail!


The package arrived! I shipped a package to M on Feb 18, and I was told that it would likely be late because of the amount of stuff that's being shipped these days. The normal is five to six business days. Well, the package arrived yesterday!!! Kudos to Canada Post for the timely delivery of that box, and it was a very reasonable price to ship it - $34.62 for a large box weighing 8.65 KG. 

What I love is that she and her boyfriend walked to the Post Office to get the box! Yeah!!!!

As you can see, the darn thing is awkward to carry because of the size, and it's heavy. I don't think she carried it all the way home; this picture was just for show. 


M with her care package


You know what? It was a lot of fun to gather all the stuff in that box. I wonder what else she needs/wants? I shouldn't ask! But I have a couple of other things that I'm going to make for her, so those will get sent at some point as well. Hmmm - it looks COLD in Vancouver!! A hat and a big jacket? 

I had one presentation yesterday, a class on software, a fun session for me. So much going on - every day!! The next three days are going to be crazy, with several classes and the Virtual Retreat. But that's OK - I still make time every day to get out for the walk with the girls and then another walk in the afternoon. The prep work shouldn't take too long for this weekend. I'm getting very good at it!

And lately  - the afternoon walk has been beautiful. The sun has been out, the ice on the sidewalks has melted by then, and it's glorious!! I think today will be more of the same, and then we have a bit of rainy/snowy weather coming, but we'll be inside sewing, so who cares?


I need a Zoom lesson. I mean a lesson about ZOOM. I think there's a difference in the interface depending on if you have the Zoom client downloaded onto your laptop or you go through the web browser. When I had my issue earlier this week, I think I somehow got into the web browser app, not the program on my computer. I don't know! But I'm back to where I was, and that's good. I like to see the full screen of people, and I lost that earlier this week. 

I think I've also solved my problem with screen sharing and software classes. I found this setting. 


A setting for sharing the screen


AHA  - that could make a big difference in my software presentations. I think I'm good!! Oh boy -- so much to learn, and it's all trial and error. 


Murphy is having a lot of trouble these days. She's always been a hyper dog, and despite that fact, she's so darn clingy. She's just like Little Sammy, who we called the Velcro dog. Murphy is no exception - she NEEDS to be right beside me in the morning. She NEEDS to watch TV with DH in the evening and has gotten quite vocal when her favorite commercials come on. She now recognizes the music and will come running. And she jumps at the TV, trying to get at the animals. Oh boy! I think we're going to have to teach her how to use the remote. We'll need to get a big button that she can push, and then she can watch whenever she wants. 

Often, when I'm on a Zoom call, she is right beside me with her tail wagging like mad, which shows up on the camera. She knows that I can't walk away, and so she has a captive audience in me. Last night? Well, she was in a weird mood. She wanted to play ball. We had played ball before I had to start my call, and she was NOT done. 

I'm on the call, and I can hear her - whining. I looked beneath the table, and there she was - at the far end of the room, WAITING. You can't see the ball in the picture, but trust me - it's there. Since I didn't get up, she came closer and was literally dropping the ball on my foot to try and get me to play with her. And she was getting quite vocal about it! Silly girl! Eventually, she went upstairs to watch TV. 


Come play ball with ME


She's also hyper-sensitive to ANYTHING that moves. That could be a leaf, an animal, a toy - you name it - if it moves, it's her business. 

So when she started freaking out yesterday (she was in the house), I went to check and saw someone using the animal superhighway along the top of our fence. She was beside herself. I knew that squirrels use the superhighway but didn't realize that raccoons use it as well. 

A raccoon on the superhighway



You cannot fault her for being lazy or unenthusiastic. Holy!!!


I might have mentioned this article that appeared in the current issue of A Needle Pulling Thread (Issue 54). The inspiration for this issue was Faces. 


Issue 54 of A Needle Pulling Thread


I wrote an article for this issue using the embroidery software to create some line art portraits of M. These took a LONG time to stitch out, but so worth it. You'll have to get the magazine to get the tips!



Line Art portraits created with embroidery software


Make sure you mark your calendar for June 16 - 19  -  the Virtual Quilt Canada 2021 conference dates. I can hardly wait - there'll be lectures, classes, a virtual vendor market, and quilt shows!!!! It's amazing how adaptive we have become with the pandemic, and I foresee hybrid events in the future to allow access to those that physically cannot attend a show. I'm very excited about it, and it allows learning opportunities in smaller chunks. 

I think some classes, like software, are easier to digest in small increments of time, like one hour. But who would want to drive a distance to attend a one-hour class. Plus, if you're working, you can log on (during your lunch hour, of course) and attend the class and then get back to work! No travel time is needed. 

I'm embracing Zoom wholeheartedly, and I know that my life has definitely changed positively because of it. I haven't been able to listen to the Author talks lately because of commitments on Friday evening, but I hope to get back to it next week. 


Here are the Zoom links for the Virtual Retreat this weekend. Be sure to stop by and say HI!!! I'm going to try and plow through that stack of prepped work on my sewing table. Then I get to start the prep all over again for next month!!


Saturday, February 27 -  6 PM - 9 PM   EST

Join Zoom Meeting https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89254233911?pwd=VGQrTnFybW1HMWpleHA4M2Q2NGVwZz09 Meeting ID: 892 5423 3911 Passcode: 982797

Sunday, February 28  - 10 AM  - 8 PM   EST


Join Zoom Meeting https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87246635892?pwd=VGY1cUUyLzRaRi9VUVV2ZWFINXc2dz09 Meeting ID: 872 4663 5892 Passcode: 440473



By the way, did you notice that I've been lax in giving you a homework assignment!! Oh my -- OK - here's a good one. How about the FRONT of your fridge? You know - all those magnets and whatnot. If you're like me, there are a few things that could go. I'll try to follow this one today because we have a few funny items on our fridge that we don't even see any longer.


Have a super day!!!!


Ciao!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment