Monday, August 22, 2022

Wonderful Woodland Show and Tell

WOW --- one day closer to leaving. I will say that I accomplished a lot, but not nearly as much as I would like. As always -- I need ONE more day! 

I'm happy to report that I now have 18 blocks done for the magazine quilt with 12 to go. I should be able to finish that during the Monday sewing today. If all goes well, the blocks should be done by tonight. It's going to be tight but doable!

And TWO of the remaining four writing assignments were sent off last night, so that leaves two, and most of the pictures are done, so that helps. If all goes well, I'll have the last of the sewing done today and the drafts of at least one done. 

I managed to cross off a couple more to-dos on the list, so it's all going to get done, just not a lot of spare time. Plus, I'm trying to finish reading a pphysical book, so I don't have to take it with me. I'll ditch it once I finish reading it as it's my book. I can't take library books (audiobooks) as I think they know you're not in the same country as the server and they disappear. I'm not sure about that and I'm too cheap to buy an audiobook! 

NO --- baby wipes are NEVER an option, especially when traveling. Those things do NOT decompose. I'll stick with my pee cloth which is 100% hygenic and reusable. I'm all about the environment! 

The blister on my heel is healing, but ever so slowly. What I have discovered is that a dab of Solarcaine (or probably any other lubricant) directly on the skin before I put my shoes on is making walking with a blister a NON-issue. Let's just say that the Solarcaine will be coming with me. And I'm trying to cut off the dead skin as it dies. I know that sounds gross, but you'll probably be hearing a lot more about dead skin and blisters during my walk. Hopefully, nothing more intimate than that. I had to laugh because the husband of one of my readers mentioned that I should have called yesterday's post -- TMI (too much information!) 

The problem with the blister is I ignored it. I thought it was a cracked heel (DUH!), so I didn't look and then I got blisters on the blisters which is never good. So it's all coming along nicely - at last. 

All four of the items that I ordered last week have shipped. The big question is when will they get here? Like me -- it's last minute, and I could be grabbing stuff from the UPS truck, as I leave my driveway! However, I'm happy to report that I have a PLAN B for all four items, so it won't be the end of the world if they don't get here. I WANT them as they will be the best, but there's a backup. That's all that counts. And I can always use all of the items when I'm back so it won't be a waste. 

I was planning to show you my travel stuff, but I never touched it. Instead, we're going to look at the show and tell from Wonderful Woodland. This was a sew-along class that I taught at The Hobby Horse earlier this year, and we finished in July. 

The pattern is from Art East Quilting Co. and is super cute. Have you noticed that animals are big right now in the quilting world? 



Pattern for Wonderful Woodland

We were not a large class, but here are the finished quilts. The first one is Joyce who used a kit from The Hobby Horse but added a red border around it. 



Joyce


Then we had Karen, who also used the kit, but added a brown border. 


Kim


Margaret changed up the colors in hers, and it looks equally awesome. 


Margaret



Val used a turquoise background, and it makes those animals really pop. 



Val


And then we have Maria who went totally rogue and used solids for her animals. Each one sports a different color, and she named all of them. Like the Cariboo (bottom middle) was called ClaraBlue! All the names were equally adorable, and since it's going to a young person, those names will be perfect! 


Maria


Shoot -- I seem to be missing a couple of pictures. I'll see if I can track them down. 


And this is my quilt. Oh, shoot --- I have to find a picture of the finished quilt. I know I finished it. 


This is my quilt almost complete but I also redid the wolf in the bottom right. I don't have time right now to find it. 


My version


Well, that's it for today. I'm off to spin class. And I need to stop eating sugar. It's like I'm trying to stock up on sugar before I leave. I think it's because I know I won't find much on the route and I won't be eating any when I get back. I need to swear off desserts -- ALL desserts all the time. I don't like what changes the sugar is making to my body! 

As an FYI -- I sent out the confirmations for the Toes in the Sand class earlier this morning. If you have signed up but did NOT get an e-mail from me, then send me a note. I tried to make sure I got everyone, but it's easy for an e-mail or two to slip through the cracks. 


On that note, have a super day!! 


10 comments:

  1. I’m angry that the husband of one of your followers made the comment about too much information! 🤬. You addressed mainly female concerns regarding the reality of elimination in the outdoors. I appreciated the information even though I won’t be doing the journey but it opens my eyes to many other treks.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't be angry -- I should have mentioned that I know him and he was teasing! And I thought it was an important thing to mention because I bet many of you will wonder what happens on the trail. Thanks for you comment.

      Delete
  2. A foot/ankle surgeon I worked with said, when you get a blister, pop it and squeeze out the fluid but leave the skin. It will heal much faster. Can't wait to see and hear about the Camino!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elle -- that is EXACTLY what I'm doing. It's because it was blister upon blister that I ended up with a lump of hard skin. That is FINALLY starting to die off and I am ONLY removed what has lifted. I don't want it to pull any fresh skin away. I'm being EXTREMELY careful. And when I feel a hot spot -- I'll address it immediately. Thanks!!!

      Delete
  3. You should be able to download books from your library when away. On my recent trip, I finished listening to an audiobook that I already had downloaded, and then downloaded an e-book when I finished the physical book I brought with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try that. I thought I wasn't able to do that when out of the country.

      Delete
  4. You are keeping the backpack weight down, so have you considered making a flannel washcloth? I have been making some and had a eureka moment! Wait! This would good for Elaine. Weigh less, dry faster and you can make it whatever size you want. I curved the corners, & serged the edges and done! Torry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH -- -now that's something I hadn't thought about. I shall get everything in that backpack today and see how I'm doing for weight. It's not size as I have loads of room and I don't know how much room I would save. But a thought! Thanks

      Delete
  5. Oh, I love all of these! Especially Maria's colorful version. Wonderful pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know --- at the end, we all LOVED Maria's version and wanted to remake it!

      Delete