Sunday, December 4, 2022

A can of worms!

Yikes -- I see Torry is on Book FOUR of The Seven Sisters series! I finished Book Two and needed a break! She will be ready when the 8th book comes out sometime next year. I'll be behind - as usual. But that's OK. I don't mind. 

Having a decent narrator for the audiobooks sure makes a difference. I'm currently listening to an audiobook (more about where it came from another day), but the narrator is literally reading (not narrating) the book. No inflection; she barely takes a breath. The nature of the book is simple, but the way she reads it does NOTHING to the storyline. I will finish it -- it is interesting but certainly different from when the book is professionally translated into audiobook form. 

We had two great classes (via Zoom) yesterday! Gosh -- I LOVE looking at all the homework, and that's the most essential part of the class. It's so much fun to see the choices of fabric the others have made and how each makes the quilt look so different! I've learned so much from my students! I hate to call them students, but you know who I mean!

And then I opened a Can of Worms! Yesterday's classes were hosted by Thimbles and Things, and if you are NOT on their newsletter -- you should be! I'm teaching some great classes in the new year (Free-motion quilting, One block Wonder, and Fab Farm by Elizabeth Hartman!) Yesterday marked the final (for now) Timely Technique session. I would love to do more, but I need more hours!

We chatted about EXCESS in our studios, but the techniques can also apply to other areas of our lives. Over the years since I started cleaning up, I've lifted a HUGE weight off my shoulders. I still have a lot of stuff, but I've also gotten rid of many things. What I have now is organized, more or less. No more hopping over tubs to get to something, no more massive searches to find a particular piece of fabric or a quilt top. No more buying duplicate tools because I can't find the original. No more danger of me being buried alive amongst the fabric! 

It's not perfect, but it's pretty darn good. I'll be refining and culling forever, but it's so easy now that there is less stuff to deal with (and yet I still have TONS of stuff)! 

Well -- the topic seemed to strike a cord in the attendees. I received thank-you e-mails from some of them, including pictures! And someone jokingly asked in the class if I would hold them accountable. And you know what? I AM!! They don't know this yet, but I'm going to ask who wants to check in monthly during 2023 and send photos! Let's see how much gets cleaned up! 

As the new year approaches, people are starting to think about resolutions. What happens is the motivation peters out quickly. Many programs show you how to declutter but give you no resources to make it happen and little support to maintain it. For some reason, I'm a self-motivator (and self-enabler!). I now am meticulous about keeping my space neat and tidy, and every year it gets worse (or is that better?) As I mentioned, I'm now to the point where my three sewing tools and the thread on my machine go into a box at the end of the day. It keeps the space clean and neat, and everything can be moved off the tables quickly should I need it for something else. I am NOT my mother's daughter in that respect. OK -- if you look in the office - I'm following in her footsteps, but not in the studio where it's important. 

Do not ask how many times a day I pass the Swifter! OK -- that's an exaggeration, but I use it every day as the amount of dust and lint that collects is obscene! 


OK, and now for some pictures. After the Zoom classes, I was off to get some points for geocaching. I decided to take the easy route and went on a couple of adventures. While they were 3 KM from each other, they were totally different. 

The first one looked at various art installations in the heart of my city (the sixth largest in Canada). I don't get down this way very often, but this is a happening place in the art world. This is the Pool of Knowledge and is filled with letters. I LOVE it -- and I should have taken better photos. 


Pool of Knowledge



And this is a building I see when driving past this area on the highway. Actually, there are two towers, and they are pretty funky. Looks like someone needed help stacking up a bunch of trays. 


Funky towers

Then I got a bit closer. I'm in denial that I have height issues, but looking at that gave me slight vertigo! If you want to read more about it, check this out.  


Twisted towers


The entire area is cool, with the outdoor park with two big screens where I could have watched the soccer match if I wanted to. But it was a tad chilly for that. Definitely, an area where you could get away without a car! Something to think about when I need to move. But I wouldn't be living on the 61st floor! And if you read the information on the website, they take a dig at the Marilyn Monroe (Absolute Towers) just down the road, which are round, and therefore some of the space is compromised to maintain the outside of the building. 

Once I was done with that adventure, I was off to the second one, a wooded park by the river. Just three KM down the road, and it was gorgeous! Look at the sculpture in the tree. 



Owl sculpture in the tree


I got a chuckle when I saw this sign. I need that on my blog -- the enabling blog! 


The enabling garden

And I spotted this beautiful house nestled in the woods. This is the first time I've seen this house, even though I've been to this park several times. 

Gorgeous old house


It was built in 1919!!! Wow!!!

Cornerstone dated 1919


I'm still short 20 points, and I NEED them today. So, where will I be going after my Zoom discussions? I'll post the links at the end of the blog. We have so many tools, and we don't use them. My goal is NOT to enable anyone to buy or start a new project (OK -- so I'm lying), but I also want to enable people to use the tools they have!!!


Here's what I unpacked from the bag on the cutting table today. I bought this pattern in the US and need to make it, and I can see beautiful embellishments on it, which will be perfect for work. 

Clothing pattern

Here's the quilt of the day. It was so nice to work on a small project for a change! It seemed to take no time compared to the others I've done recently. The next one is loaded, and I might even be able to get two done today. Let's see how it goes. 


Customer quilt - DONE


And what paper did I deal with from those containers? I found another design I created for screen printing when I was in the textile program. As one of our assignments, we had to work with the college theatre program to make fabric for the costume department. So we had a client. My job was to create material for some underwater creatures, and they wanted fish on them. Yes -- I had to move away from my geometric world. 

Here is a small drawing of my finished design. 


My undersea design


Then I had it enlarged onto a sheet of paper four feet tall (the size of the screens we used). This version still needed something. See how flat it looked until the circles got added? A small detail, but it makes a huge difference. 


A version of the design

I even found the actual sheet of vellum used to create the screen for the printing. 

The vellum to create the screen

I don't think I have any of the fabric left, but the material was green - some flimsy stuff and the fish were purple. But everything had to be oversized, so it showed on the stage. I never did see the costumes that were created with this fabric. I don't know why as today, I would have a picture, and I may not have time. But the contract was made once we gave the fabric to the costume department! 

If any of you want to get on my e-mail list of decluttering, send me a note. I want BEFORE pictures. You can only get in if you send pictures! And I'll check in once a month to see how progress is made! You need to only pick one small area. More on that another day! Something to think about for today!


So if you want to attend any of the discussions this morning, here are the links again. 


If you want to join us, just log into the call. All these one-hour zooms are discussions to discover your level, what brand you have, and what you want to learn. There is no cost and zero commitment. 


Sunday, December 4 at 10 AM. zoom opens at 9:45
Digital Cutters  -- Brother Scan and Cut, Cricut, Silhouette

Join Zoom Meeting https://us02web.zoom.us/j/86553551005?pwd=OERLRVhObTZFRUtLUTlHc0ZLR2RKQT09 Meeting ID: 865 5355 1005 Passcode: 675303
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday, December 4 at 11:15 AM. Zoom opens at 11:00
EQ8 (Electric Quilt 8 -- software for designing quilts)

Join Zoom Meeting https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84750425875?pwd=R015NWkrMURSYXNvQ21HdXRzRG1ZZz09 Meeting ID: 847 5042 5875 Passcode: 388459

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday, December 4 at 1:00 PM. Zoom opens at 12:45
mySewnet Embroidery Software

Join Zoom Meeting https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87534524274?pwd=ZmNiNmFMSUdkVDQvWUM4cjlYZXhIUT09 Meeting ID: 875 3452 4274 Passcode: 355283



And on that note, it's time to get moving! 


Have a super day!!


Ciao!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment