Saturday, December 31, 2022

Puzzling

It's New Year's Eve. Another year has passed, and what do I have to show for it? There are lots, but I tend NOT to keep track of what I accomplish in a year. Well, that's not entirely true -- I know how many KMs I've walked/ridden my bike or spin class, I know how many novels I've read, and I know how many quilts I donated (more or less) and well, I'm so highly motivated that I don't really need to know how much else I got done. It was a lot, and let's leave it at that! 

But to respond to those comments from yesterday, it shocks me in no uncertain terms that the little ground women have gained is constantly being threatened. I try to keep the blog apolitical, but the whole world scares me with everyone trying to do the "right" thing and no one wanting to learn from history. Let's just pretend it didn't happen! 

Well, let's move on to bigger and better things! I had a good chuckle this morning as I read the blog post from December 31, 2021. Guess what I was doing? Geocaching and decluttering. I will confess that the decluttering is minimal these days - at least in Studio B, but it'll be a constant thing for the rest of my life. 

Look at Elle, whose house must be pretty empty, yet she still finds things she no longer needs. I have learned that the more you get rid of, the easier it is and the faster it becomes. So I'm well over the hump and whatever I got done this past year is stuff I won't have to deal with when we need to move (in 20 years!). I would love for M to say, "my parents have lived in their current house for 40 years, and there's practically nothing to move!" 

The hilarious thing about the geocaching was that I was in the SAME location as last year. I lamented that I needed something long and pointy to lift a heavy object to get a cache. Guess what I had with me yesterday? A long tool to lift the heavy object. And I was wandering down by the river a year ago as well. Good grief! 

I visited a cemetery. There are almost always caches in cemeteries. 

A geocache in a cemetery


I took a tour of the artwork on these electrical boxes and answered questions about them. I sat on benches and tried to very casually look underneath to find a teeny tiny magnetic container. And then carefully put it back without trying to be too noticeable. At least I did NOT wear my orange jacket, as it was too hot, and I wore a black vest, which was a bit more subtle. 

Decorated electrical boxes


I passed the custom cookie shop and did NOT go in. There are several bakeries in that area -- one was open, and one was closed. 

The custom cookie shop


Then I got to a muddy part and carefully walked along the edge to avoid as much mud as possible. Got the cache and then faced with a dilemma -- go back through the mud or up this hill. What I love about all this adventuring is that I'm still in the city! I drove the car about 4 KM (I know -- I could have walked, but I knew I had a lot of walking to do to get the caches). 

Let's go UP!


I decided up was the way to go! It was a bit slippery and a lot steep! The last thing I wanted was to lose my footing and slide down, which would have defeated the purpose of bypassing the muddy field!

At the top, I was attached by burrs. 

Burrs


Which stick to shoes, denim pants, and of course, my sweatshirt and vest. 

More burrs!


But the view was decent and saved time and no walking through the mud. 

The view from the top


I passed more beautiful houses in a different village than the one the previous day. This one is Streetsville. It's sad to see so many of the houses falling into disrepair, and now some of them are being refurbished into group homes and other purposes. If I ever win the lottery, there is one vacant building that I'd buy and turn into a quilt studio. It's a gorgeous building, and I dream every time I pass it. 

A beautiful and well-maintained home


Anyway, I've been cranking out the KMs these last couple of days. And I'm happy to report that I have less than 5 KM to reach my goal, and I'll be done by 9 AM. 


Mileage for the last couple of days

Since I'll be getting my 2022 challenge medal soon, I figured it was time to fix the ribbons on these two so they hang flat, and I'll get all three on the wall when the new one comes. I'll share that with you later. You've already seen some of my other medals, but not these challenge ones.  

Challenge medals from 2020 and 2021


And how did I make out with the geocaching? I got 385 points and need 500 by the end of January. Easy peasy!


Geocaching points


I know what you are thinking. For someone who doesn't keep track of things -- I keep track of many things! YES, I do, but I don't keep track of what quilting projects I finish in a year! 


Despite all the walking in the morning, I took the girls to the library in the afternoon, where I had to pick up some books. OH -- wait until you see the book I got. I didn't take a picture of it, so wait for tomorrow. DH is so worried when I take them and tie them up outside. I was in the library for 10 minutes! I don't do it often as I also worry that someone might decide they are loving and well-behaved dogs! Just wait until they get those leashes in their hands! 

Waiting for Mom


And Murphy always comes back dirty as ever. She needs a bath! 

MOM -- I love walking in the mud and rain

Lexi is the princess. Gosh -- she now has certain people she knows who will pet her on the walk and literally sidles up to them and leans on their legs to make it easier for them to do so. Sigh............

The Princess


And she is so much less skittish than she used to be. Now sure how that happened. 

MOM -- did we get mail?


Yes --- it was 14 degrees yesterday! That's why a vest sufficed when I was out for a couple of hours in the morning, and no jacket was required. 


14 degrees ABOVE


When I got home, this package had arrived. WOW -- that's a pretty big box for what's in it. 

The last package of the year


90% of the box was AIR. Seriously?? We pay for volume, not just weight. They could have done better. 

A big box for one small package


Anyway, I had fun popping all the air pockets and putting them in the recycling. 

Lots of air pockets

I managed a wee bit of clean-up in the backyard while the girls amused themselves. They are becoming lazy and only want to be out if Mom or Dad are with them. Not happening! 

MOM --- look at us! 

The ice is completely gone in the pond now. This picture was taken in the morning, and the temperature isn't even below zero at night. 


The pond has zero ice

I managed to get the last two bindings done. Now there's a massive stack of quilts to be delivered to Project Linus. 


Binding number one


Binding number two



So it was time to complete one more jigsaw, as soon it will be time to get back to some serious work. While I listened to the audiobook, I laid out all the pieces, and WOW -- I even managed the border. I thought it would be a bit of a challenge since it's all blue, but there's enough variation that it was pretty simple. 

The border is complete


Then I started with color, and the first part was easy. 


The green is complete!


Instead of sewing this morning, I worked on the puzzle while listening to the audiobook. I still have 1½ hours to go. Things are falling into place, and I had to go back and reread several chapters to get the gist of the background. What a complicated family!

Great progress on the puzzle


Now I get to work on several other components before all I have left is the blue background. There won't be too many pieces, and the colors are distinct. It won't take long!

So I'm taking the day off again! I might get some work done, but what the heck -- I need some time off, and while I have things to do, nothing has an immediate due date. I need to get to work and finalize some class lists, but that can wait until Tuesday! 

And there's ONE more geocache that I might pop out to get today. It would be nice to get that cleared up while the weather is nice. Who knows what the latter half of January will bring. OH -- I can hear it raining outside. It may be an indoor kind of day. I'm glad I went out the last two days! I had loads of fun. As the only girl who grew up on the farm, I learned to keep myself occupied. I have zero issues doing most things by myself (except climbing trees). It just makes things a whole lot easier and faster! No need to confer with someone and make plans -- just go and do! I love it!

However you spend the last day of 2022, I hope it's good and I look forward to a wonderful 2023 with visions of more decluttering and more making in my future! 

Have a wonderful day!!!

Ciao!!!


 





No comments:

Post a Comment