Tuesday, December 12, 2023

Going down memory lane

I caved and looked at the third clue for the 10th puzzle in the Advent Calendar. Even after getting a hint from someone also doing it, my brain just wouldn't go down that route. Even though we had a similar type of clue earlier, well, it just wasn't happening! I get it, and it makes perfect sense. At least we figured out the first part of the clue, so we're not complete idiots! 

The puzzle that almost brought me down


Guess what I got? DH bought me a treat, not that these are anywhere near as exciting as those I had in Spain, but a good memory. 


Napolitana au chocolat


Someone mentioned that you can buy Pillsbury ones now. I checked at the grocery store yesterday and did NOT see them. Just croissants and cinnamon buns. I just Googled it. I think you are to use regular croissants and add chocolate! I'll wait for Spain. But thanks for the tip!!!

I got busy cutting yesterday as I have a lot of sewing, and only a little was cut. So now I have a few blocks for my Many Blocks project to sew this week, and there are some blocks for the Heartfelt Sampler quilt. 


Blocks cut and ready to sew

Then I cut some pieces for my UFO, also due this weekend. A lot is happening this weekend. 

My UFO homework


I chuckled as I dug for one more fabric for this project. Look at the price tag. That is for a half meter of fabric, but does anyone local to me recognize that tag? That was from Quilter's Fancy (Carol and Bob). Remember them? One day, they disappeared off the face of the quilt world, and I never heard about them again. I used to buy a LOT from them -- books, fabric, and much more. 

The price tag for a half-meter

That piece was bought probably 20 years ago - it's a batik, and the price was for a half meter, so fabrics were expensive even years ago.  

I didn't open another door on the Advent Calendar as DH wasn't home last night, and I was still "reeling" from the previous puzzle - I'm over it now! Instead, I popped out a jigsaw puzzle because I could at least do that. 

But it was a weird one. I usually start with the border, and I'm not checking the photos - just winging it. 


Working on the Advent jigsaw puzzle


I ended up working all over the place. 

In p rogress


But it's done and super cute!!!!

Advent puzzle done


I'm also trying to train myself to NOT go down the Facebook or IG rabbit hole. I will watch Teddy (the golden retriever), but NOTHING else. OK - I watch Layle the Boxer as well. The owners of those dogs do hilarious videos with their pets! They are short, and I chuckle every time I watch them. 

Instead, I'm training myself to go to YouTube (just like my Dad!) and learn something! I'm still figuring out the best way to make that happen. Can't we get a list and check it off? That would be much easier than remembering if we've already watched a video! 

The end of the year is approaching, and it's time to look at those walking challenges. How am I making out? Well, this first one is a doozy! It's a three-year-long walk with a goal of 16,287 KM. 

Progress on the three-year walk


I still have 386 days left, and you can see my route. I started in Cairo and am walking to Capetown. I currently have 385 days left to walk. I added some spin class cycling last year, and I'll have to add a bit more next year as I doubt I'll be able to walk 5,000 KM in one year. 


My progress mapped 

My goal for this year was to walk 4,400 KM, and I'm almost done!!! I have 66 km left to walk and 19 days left to complete that! I think I'll make it! 

My annual goal

These are just for fun, but I have to say that they are motivating. There have been a couple of days lately when I didn't feel like walking in the afternoon. Then I thought of my goals, got my shoes on, and went out. I felt much better when I returned, and the weather has been very cooperative! 

I don't consider those double dipping as the first one is just a fun way of tracking where you walk, as the second one doesn't allow you to put the KM on a map. I already walked across Canada a couple of years ago (virtually), so I decided to go to Africa for a visual map of my walking. 

So some people asked about Out of the Box. Here are a couple of examples of projects that were done this past year. I don't have the information in front of me, but I'm guessing from the photos that the theme was PURPLE and a CIRCLE. Remember, ANYTHING was and is allowed. The project doesn't have to be finished, and you did NOT have to use fabric. 

There's a rope bowl stitched with purple thread, and some of the rope is covered with purple fabric. 


A rope bowl

Purple flowers cut with a digital cutter!

Paper flowers


Ruched (I think) flowers on a wall hanging. Oh yes -- she used something very cool for the bottom part, and I've forgotten what it was. 

A wall hanging with ruched flowers


A purple pig made with paper and attached to a plastic jar for a piggy bank. 

A purple piggy bank

This is JUST A SMALL sampling of what was created this past year. I wish I could share them all. Next year, I should share them each month. 

Yep -- the projects are varied, and when there are NO RULES --- it's easy to come up with stuff and NOT have to buy anything. Some people continued on if they felt further experimentation was required. Some people got into dying fabric or using distressing inks, and we wanted to know MORE, so they continued their experiments. Suggestions were sometimes given, and the person would rework the project if they wanted. This was very helpful in many cases where the creator got stuck. Suggestions were given, and they reworked it, and the result was spectacular. Experimenting and trying new mediums or techniques is HIGHLY encouraged. 

There will be room in this club if you're interested. 


So Christmas is coming, and it can be a tough time of year for people. I remember the first Christmas I was away from home many years ago, and I was 19 (or thereabouts). I was at my future in-laws (no longer), and I went into the bathroom and cried. My MIL pushed her way in, and even though she didn't speak much English, it was a comfort to have someone there who understood that I was homesick and missed my family. 

I've since come to relish Christmas Day with no family, and it's a great day to reflect on life. Nothing can go wrong because I have no expectations of myself or other people, and there's no need to be disappointed in myself or others. There is TOTAL FREEDOM. I wish we could promote that a bit more because I see people stressed about things that aren't worth it. Does anyone appreciate that you slaved in the kitchen and prepared three vegetable dishes? Or is it more the fact of being with family and friends that's important? 

I understand that traditions are important, but traditions were created in a world quite different from today! I hear more and more often that grown children are too busy to spend Christmas with their parents. And there are two or more sets of parents involved! I say, get over it -- live YOUR life for you, not for your kids! 

I haven't exchanged gifts with anyone in years, and again, I have no expectations and, therefore, no disappointments. 

We'll go to a movie that day, eat popcorn, and be at ease and stress-free! I can't wait! 


Having said that, I'm trying to figure out what days to have Virtual Retreat this month because the usual weekend falls on Christmas Eve or something like that. Shoot - I was going to host a few hours of Zoom sewing on Christmas Day until I remembered the movie! DUH! 

So, there will be a Virtual Retreat on December 23 and the morning of December 24. So, if you have no plans for Christmas or have to celebrate it early, we'll honor our friendship through sewing and Zoom. Be sure to bring a glass of cheer with you! We'll be your friends that day. 


On that note, I'm out of here. Lots to do today -- one last software club for the year, and the presentation is ready to go!

Have a super day!!!


Ciao!!


2 comments:

  1. The croissants are not Pillsbury they are President’s Choice and available in the frozen foods area

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH --- I didn't remember that part. I'll have a check today! Thanks for enlightening me!

      Delete