Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Adventure Day -

You just never know what is going to happen on an adventure day!!!!   

The day started off with PRESENTS!!!!!   I like presents. 


I think you can tell which of the presents is mine!!!   Let's just say that Marian and Jim saw these at Ikea and they reminded them of us!!!!    


Mr. Carrot!!!

Miss Broccoli Tops!!!!!
You see - I like the colour orange (well I didn't have to tell you that) and one of the first times we were at Marian's for Christmas dinner or something like that - M ONLY ate the tops of the broccoli for her veggie. She got the name Miss Broccoli Tops after that!!!!


Then Marian and I hopped in the car and we were off. Now I cannot reveal the TRUE errand that we went on - that will be revealed sometime in June - until then - it remains a mystery. Let's just say that I am happy with the way the errand went and NO - it has NOTHING to do with sickness, health, death or anything like that. It is just a FUN and TOTALLY CRAZY thing. 

Once we got THAT errand out of the way - well we might as well enjoy the rest of our day. A quick stop here to satisfy a few taste buds........................


   
Yes that is Marian RUNNING into the winery to get MEGA bottles of wine!!!! OK - so they weren't all for her!!!


Then we decided to check out a couple of quilt stores that were new to us - well Marian had been to one before and we saw both of them at a quilt show last year.


Bee \Modern Fabrics - Niagara-on-the-Lake

How cute is that for a store and a gallery? So much cool stuff to look at and we hadn't made it past the garden.


A metal tree including leaves and stem

Large metal flowers

What a cute way to park your car - I love those Smart Cars

Oh CRUD - I guess we were so excited about seeing all the stuff in the garden and the cute little shop, that we didn't even pay attention to the PARKING. Let's just say that if you go to Niagara-on-the-Lake - you PAY for ALL parking. There are no meters - just those machines. Don't get caught!!!!!

Anyway - there are LOTS of bright stuff in Bee Modern Fabrics - bright pearl cotton, bright wool, bright fabric - well I bought a few things. I couldn't help myself.

Then off to the next store .................


Stitch in Jordan


No - no parking restrictions. Yeah - OK - completely different tack in this store. Dark wool, modern stuff, Japanese, folky - countryish, yarns - the most awesome sock yarn - I didn't buy any.  Well - could have spent a HUGE amount of money here. I didn't, but LOTS and LOTS of nice stuff. And she has a great collection of antique doll beds. So much to look at. And it was funny as when we went in - I was looking at a bag that was for sale and Marian was looking at a kit. Next thing we know a woman came in and bought the bag AND the kit. Whew - saved us from buying them!!!!!



We were planning on going to The Quilting Bee in Fonthill, but OOPS - the navigator didn't realize that Jordan is PAST Fonthill and we were not backtracking especially when an impatient son was waiting for his Mom to arrive. Another day - another adventure - I am sure there will be many more!!!!



But look how pretty it was in the area...................


Orchards in bloom - are these apples??????

White blooms

Pink and white blooms



When I got home - I was kind of fired up and needed to work on something. I will blame that on Marian - we got talking about all kinds of things we want to work on and well I just had to START something. Wait a minute - before you go telling Pauline, I went to the 2012 shelf and pulled something off. It is even on the 12 for (20)12 list no less. 


This the 12 for (20) 12 project for APRIL (yes - never mind that I still haven't completed the other ones yet)

A picture of the project

Oh - the braids are already sewn - just need to be trimmed

The applique is already cut and ready to fuse down and then stitch

Hey - that is like buying one of those laser cut kits!!!!!!!



Which brings to mind this kit by Edyta Sitar from Laundry Basket quilts. I couldn't find it on her web site so you can check this out here.............


Spring Bouquet


So you buy this kit with the shapes already precut with fusible on the back. All you do is open up the kit - arrange the pre-cut pieces onto the background and then do something with the raw edge. I'm not so sure about that - then is it really your quilt????   Well - it is a gorgeous kit, but $400 - well too much for my wallet.


In my rush to do something NEW the other night - I pulled out this as well. Mary gave me this fabric a while back - she didn't like it. I made half square triangles out of it and then laid it out like this. Started to sew some of them together. This one (and another one like it, but black are the 12 for (20) 12 in May). Oh - and you have NO IDEA what size these are - are they big or are they small????????   Any guesses?????





So - you see - I am still abiding by my rules. I love having that shelf. Everything on it is NEW. And no need to start something else. Just wait until I get to choose what to work on next year and so far - NO new projects - well except for that iron caddy which still needs handles. 

Of course -technically I get to start new things because I have to get my samples ready for the CreativFestival but these were all discussed LAST YEAR.  Normally I just have to show up, but doing something different this time and so I need to get some samples ready. Let's just say that these samples are AMAZING for using up scraps. HUGE quantities of scraps - in particular strips and yardage of UGLY stuff. I am working madly away at that and will be for the next week. Don't bug me!!!!!


But if you want to come and see what is going on - the CreativFestival is happening on Friday, April 27 and Saturday, April 28 at the International Center in Mississauga. 



You can come for the free demos (I am doing THREE) 

Friday - 4:30 - Oh so many rulers (some of my favourite rulers)
Friday- 6:30 - Punchneedle
Saturday - 2:30 - scraps - TONS of scraps


Or just come and see me in the booth - Sew Fancy (sorry don't know the number)

Another reason to come is to see the COOL PROJECT that I made that will be in the booth for A Needle Pulling Thread. 


See there are LOTS of reasons to come to the show and I'm just talking about MY STUFF!!!!!!!




Busy working on those gift bags as well. Trying to listen to an audiobook at the same time. Louse Penny - really great books and the man who reads them is excellent. Just a slight touch of French accent to make it credible. I love them. Just very very tired at night. And why?????


Well yesterday was up and at the gym by 7 AM. TOUGH workout with Alwin (I am pretty stiff today - can't wait until tomorrow) and then off to Monday Motivators where I set up the 18 tables required for the space. A GREAT DAY. I just love having windows to see out of and that we can open. So bright and airy - I'm just sorry we did not move sooner. 


Look at this cool yarn I found at Zeller's. Lots of bumps on it - reminds me of sheep - well the white one and the other is great for landscape stuff. 

Two books I purchased while on our adventure



So while I did end up going to Fabricland to get some yardage - ugly cheap yardage to make my scrap items - I know - we won't even go there), I am using scraps -

Pre-cut strips from my strip bin


I am going through those strips faster than I can cut them. And good thing because I cut these a while ago and I never use strips. So this project is a great user of scrap strips. 


OK - that is it for today. Got to finish preparing for the LAST handout of Elm Creek blocks and then off to finalize the details of our upcoming 20th Anniversary dinner for the Halton Hills Guild on October 15th. Oh boy - it is going to be a FUN FUN FUN FUN night. There is room for 150 guests - you better be calling me to purchase a ticket!!!!!!    I should have them printed up by next week. Don't worry - after today - I will be announcing all the details. 


Have a GREAT DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1



No comments:

Post a Comment