Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The end of an era!!!!!


Wow - in the fall of 2002, Gail (the owner of The Hobby Horse) and I sat down and decided that we would offer a sewing day that would allow students from the classes or anyone else an opportunity to get some additional help with their projects. With great apprehension we had the first Monday Motivators in September. I can't even remember how many people came but there were five or six. We thought it would die by Christmas of that year. Then it grew and grew and people came and went. People moved to the area, people moved away, unfortunately Kathy passed away, and many people just came for the day or for an hour or so for help.

I have met so many people over those 10 years and the laughs, the good times - well I can't even begin to go through it all. It really has been a wonderful experience.

Several weeks ago, Gail decided that she had to cut down (my goodness she had a milestone birthday yesterday so I DO NOT blame her) and she has decided to close the Hobby Horse  on MONDAYS ONLY starting July 1.

Yesterday in honour of Gail's birthday and as a thank you to her and Alf for all the support and effort they put into hosting Monday Motivators - we had a small party with cake and presents.


Gail cutting her birthday cake

The beautiful blooming basket that our social director Judy bought as one of Gail's gifts

Robbie got cake too!!!!

And he wanted more!!!!   But MOM SAID NO!!!!

Ooops - Robbie - the camera is THIS way

Lunch

Elaine S

Karen and Margo

Laying out Jackie's quilt on the floor

Karen - getting assistance down from the table after taking pictures of Jackie's quilt

Gayle

Judy - waiting on Karen - AGAIN!!!!!

Eleanora

Everyone is almost gone. 
 I think Margo and Gayle stayed behind so THEY could say they were the last ones to leave Monday Motivators!!!!


WELL - here is the good news. You can take the location away from the Monday Motivators, but you can't take the friendship, the camaraderie and the laughs and all the rest that goes with a group that has meshed close to 10 years.

SO - Monday Motivators has a new home and you will hear all about that next week.


I am kind of sad - a DECADE of my life devoted to that group and that location. But time marches on and I am looking forward to the new place. And I get to sew!!!!!    I am EXCITED about it.



Here is a new fabric I picked up yesterday.
Blogging fabric

And Jeanette gave this to me a while back and I just haven't had a chance to put up the picture. Thanks Jeanette!!!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH    - what a HUGE sigh of relief. One of my deadline quilts was delivered to the customer on the weekend and they LOVED LOVED LOVED it. The recipient cried when she saw it. I will post pictures tomorrow as I must go and finish off the two feet of hand stitching left to do on the other deadline quilt. And I am feeling RELIEF. I still have ONE quilt to get quilted this week - a BIG custom one, but what else would it be????????

I feel so unpressured that I cut out some of the Farmer's Wife blocks and I got FIVE sewn this morning.


Farmer's Wife blocks



Hmmmmmm - wouldn't you know - the one with the biggest portion of light - I use the LIGHTEST light. I may change that one. But will wait to see what it looks like with the others I have done. I should be able to catch up and GET AHEAD in this quilt very easily. Then it will be to catch up with the others.

And I DARE NOT start anything new. Pauline will be on my case!!!!!    Her new catch phrase for me
that is OUT OF THE QUESTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   I love it!!!!!    Crap - I will be hearing Pauline in my head a lot!!!!  


But NOTE TO SELF: it is OK to do a custom quilt BUT NOT TWO in one month. What an idiot for taking on those deadlines!!!!!!


On that note - I am off to finish up the other customer deadline quilt.



Have a great day (and nice to be back into my old routine!!!!!!)



Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment