Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Technology - friend or foe?


Something VERY weird happened yesterday. VERY WEIRD and very scary!!!!  

When I woke up this morning at 4:55 AM, I thought I will just wait for the alarm and then I will get up. 4:58 AM and the pre-alarm on my phone didn't ring. 5:00 AM - the alarm didn't ring. Hmmmm - well I guess I will get up. I unplug my phone from the charger and it doesn't come on. HMMMM - the phone is DEAD, but the little blue notification light is on.   I tried to turn it on - NOTHING. I tried to call it - NOTHING.  Are you serious??????   I do not need this!!!!

I got on the internet and found out how to fix it - just removed the battery and then re-inserted it and everything was good.

However when I checked e-mail this morning - it appears that an e-mail message (that was originally sent early last year) went out to one of my sewing groups. It wasn't a happy toned e-mail. The message did NOT get sent from my usual e-mail account, but from one that I rarely use. And it was sent at 9:53 PM when I was fast asleep in bed.  So can you tell me how one account picked up a distribution list and an OLD send e-mail from another e-mail account and sent it??????    That just doesn't seem possible, but it happened!!!!   Now I have a group of people wondering what the heck this is all about!!!!!!!!!!!!    I might laugh about it in a day or two, but really - it kind of freaks me out. What else could the "system" be doing behind my back??????


I did send an apology note to the group, but I feel so bad. So sorry to anyone who got that e-mail!!


And I spent 1 1/2 hours on the phone with Rogers last night. We had some major issues with them at the end of October. Someone in my MIL apartment building was moving at the end of October. When they called Rogers' to cancel their cable - my MIL's cable got cancelled instead. Well that took days and HOURS of my time on the phone to get corrected. As compensation, Rogers gave us six free movies. Well - guess what - the free movies never happened. Nope - so I spent 1 1/2 hours last night to try and get all the accounts organized and get my free movies.  If you do not have an account number - it is a nightmare to try and find the account.  Let's just say that I kept my cool the entire time - too disbelieving that they can't get this thing fixed????   But now I have notes for the entire conversation. I have the name of the agent, I have the note number and you can bet that NOW that I have written all that down - yes - it will be fixed this time!!!!!



Well - it was Monday yesterday and everyone was so excited to get back to sewing. I have to admit that I was very excited!!!!   It really is a good group - it is a happy group and I love hearing all the stories from everyone!!!!  

I was busy trying to finish something so I didn't get a lot of pictures, but Tish managed to finish this project.


Necktie Star Santa (Holiday Ho Ho #711) from Happy Hollow Designs 
I love ALL the Happy Hollow Designs patterns.   They are just cute, cute, cute!!!!!  I have purchased many of them over the years - OK - so I haven't got many of them completed!!!!

While I am on the phone with Rogers trying to get my issue fixed - guess who came to visit????

Yep - there is Sparky - checking out the Storm at Sea quilt. It was on the floor as I was trying to pin the borders on while I was on the phone!!!!!!!!!!!!

And there it is - done!!!!!    This is my "daily" project for yesterday.  The top, the binding and the backing are done!!!!!

Here is 1/4 of the quilt.   Again - check out the dates at the Hobby Horse (they are closed until Saturday), but this is a great project - just don't make it so big!!!)  It will be on display at the Hobby Horse for you to check out if you are thinking of making this quilt!


Here is a NEW PROJECT that is absolutely amazing!!!!!!!!!!   If you want to improve your machine quilting skills or you want to learn more about your sewing machine - this is the class for you!!!!!!!!!!!    This class is at Brampton Sew n Serge.  On Wednesday evenings and it is hands on!!!!!    That means - you will actually do the work or some of the work in class. I can't say how much I am enjoying making this quilt.  And techniques?  I have used decorative stitches for the applique, for quilting the backgrounds (this is NOT quilt as you go, but the backgrounds have an extra layer under them).   Oh yes - it is a fabulous class.   Call to get signed up.    You do NOT need a fancy machine to do this project. Any machine (other than just a basic straight stitch) has decorative stitches - this is your chance to try them out - get creative.  And learn some machine quilting and applique at the same time. The nice thing is that there are NOT a lot of applique shapes in each block which means that you get enough to learn, but not so much that you get bogged down. There are points, there are curves and all kinds of shapes.  You WILL be an expert machine appliquer at the end of the project!!!!


Applique Block Number Two

Applique Block Number One

Detail of decorative stitching
The pattern is Stitcher's Garden by The Stitch Connection.


Stitcher's Garden - the original picture from The Stitch Connection
Another colourway for the Stitcher's Garden



I love this quilt with the dark background. Hmmmmm - would I make it again?????   Yikes - there are so many I want to make that I really can't make two of the same quilt.  Anyway - I do like my bright colours so I think I will be happy with it when it is done. More importantly - did I learn something from making it?  Oh yes - LOADS. Then I am happy!!!!!   Don't forget to call Brampton Sew n Serge to get signed up!!!!!  


On that note - my TO DO list (which is working very nicely) is calling me.

Oh yes - don't forget to check out QUILTSocial today to learn more about the Husqvarna Viking Designer Ruby Royale.  I wrote it so long ago that I am enjoying going back and getting excited all over again!!!!

Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment